• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#16 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 09:30 AM

As the champion "venter" around here I can agree with KK.

Buy what you like . smile.gif

I still get a thrill out of getting a new solid no matter how much I gripe about EL and their marketing .

Ann

#17 2cute4u2

2cute4u2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 12:50 AM

I read all of the posts about the empty soldis on ebay. Well...we have members selling solids on this site that are also sans perfume and boxes. How are these different from the ones listed on ebay? unsure.gif

#18 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 12:17 PM

GOOD QUESTION! I AM STRAPPED FOR AN ANSWER! WHAT YOU ARE SAYING MAKES SENSE.........MAYBE SOMEONE WILL COME UP WITH A LOGICAL REPLY......UNTIL THEN...... ph34r.gif

#19 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 03:53 PM

The solids listed on eBay are from the EL warehouse sales- they are solids introduced within the last two or three years.

The solids I sell are empty because the perfume has been used up as you can see by the photo below (there is residue in all of them) This year I purchased collections from two individual collectors- this is where the solids I am selling came from, some had boxes some did not. (Some of the solids I have for sale are from another member who I am helping to sell)

Sometimes if the inside of a solid is black or green and gross I do clean it out.
user posted image

#20 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 04:00 PM

I must still be jet lagged! The obvious answer is that the legitimate empty solids have been paid for at a high price whereas those released from the Warehouses are rock bottom! That's where the disparity comes in.

So it does make a difference as far as the value of our solids are concerned. E.L. sells cheap, our solids go down in value and we also are paying too much!

That is the difference!

Thanks Lisa

#21 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 04:14 PM

Another thing I wanted to add is at the beginning I was purchasing solids regardless of if the solids had perfume, label or box- I just wanted the solid. Now I am trying to get my collection as MIB as possible so if I have a solid without the box or perfume and come across the same solid MIB I switch out my solid for the mint solid and sell the extra.

#22 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 05:18 PM

SO THE WAY TO TELL A LEGITIMATE EMPTY SOLID FROM A WEARHOUSE EMPTY SOLID IS SURELY TO SMELL IT, BECAUSE NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU TRY AND CLEAN UP A SOLID THE SMELL OF PERFUME WILL STILL REMAIN.

PERHAPS LEGITIMATE EMPTY SOLIDS SHOULD BE IN A HIGHER PRICE BAND WHEN SOLD....... ph34r.gif

MARGARET

#23 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 06:27 PM

I think it's a shame to have them empty, and of course that would lower the price whether bought for $1.00 or $100.00, I think they are the same thing - an empty solid.

The value is what we as buyers place on the item. The sellers only get what we will pay.

Over here, perfume is expensive, so I always thought the value was in the perfume.

Still, I value the intricacy of certain solids and will only now purchase the ones that have meaning to me. I think I was a little flippant before and caught up in the shock of seeing so many more available at much cheaper prices on Ebay a few years ago (when I first started being interested) and bought a lot for no apparent reason than just to see them.

I obviously now have a few that I wish I hadn't bought and would like to shed them . . . .

Edited by Sandra, 29 July 2005 - 06:28 PM.

#24 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 06:56 PM

Send me your list Sandra. Perhaps you have a Dragon or two, and even a Carousel! Thanks smile.gif

#25 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 07:19 PM

Something else to consider....

Some empty solids are in whole other category. I bought some warehouse solids --> decided I didn't want them (like Lisa said) --> sold them off. So some sellers, like me, are replacing their collections.

I'm very picky about my collections. I try to get things as perfect as I can whenever possible. It's difficult, but I'm trying to buy quality over quantity. I really wished I didn't buy some of my solids. I still buy boxless and empty solids because I have difficulty obtaining certain ones...I bought a boxless lime slice that's full of perfume.

#26 favoritegram

favoritegram

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 10:25 PM

I you see me selling solids, they are alway full, I am allergic to the perfume, LOL and only buy them cause I like the solid. I probably should have started collecting the Jay Strongwater empty pretty boxes., Lainey ohmy.gif

Edited by favoritegram, 29 July 2005 - 10:25 PM.

#27 peanutbutter

peanutbutter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 02:14 AM

Hi,

I have also been reading all of the posts on this and agree that an empty solid is just that empty in value as well as the wonderful smell - ok some of the used empty solids do have smell but not as strong as the ones with all or some perfume in them.

I look at my solids a couple times a week open them give them a sniff and put them back. The one empty solid I have is like dry.gif ...... Getting a really pretty box at Christmas and opening it up to find an empty box. sad.gif That is how I feel when I open my one empty solid.

I think this would be a good question for everyone:

How many empty solids are in your collection??

I only have 1

(keep in mind I am new to collecting EL solids and my collection is very small)

Mary

#28 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 06:50 AM

My feelings are that it is ok to have an old solid (pre-2000) that is empty and no box. Yes they do have value. Some of those are very hard to find and if you are waiting for MIB you may be waiting for a long time.

How many of you fellow collectors would turn down an Imperial Princess, Ivory Panda, Carousel, Dragon etc just because it was empty. You would have to consider the price and not pay top dollar but would you turn them down? Besides you can be like a lot of us and purchase the solid and when you find a better duplicate sell off the other.

As far as the current lot (post 2000) that are empty I agree that I would not purchase them unless they are MIB.

Edited by Ron, 30 July 2005 - 07:06 AM.

#29 loveperfume

loveperfume

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE(peanutbutter @ Jul 30 2005, 07:14 AM)

I look at my solids a couple times a week open them give them a sniff and put them back.  The one empty solid I have is like  dry.gif ...... Getting a really pretty box at Christmas and opening it up to find an empty box. sad.gif  That is how I feel when I open my one empty solid.

I think this would be a good question for everyone:

How many empty solids are in your collection??

View Post

I agree with peanutbutter - I love perfume and would probably never buy an empty. It would be just another box to me. I have no empty solids and I love to open and sniff the different fragrances.

#30 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 12:04 PM

Hi Ron,
While I was reading the comments the Imperial Princess came to mind. Perfume or no there would be a bidding war and the winner would have a treasured prize wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users