• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 10:45 AM

Just want to make everyone aware, these are just some of the empty solids being offered on eBay. Mind you this is eBays first and partial second page ONLY!

Octopus retail $175
Poodle retail $65
Toy Wagon retail $65.00
Saks shopping bag retail $75.00
Bejeweled Crown retail $250.00
50th anniversary cameo retail $75.00
Flowering bouquet retail $65.00
Bubbly retail $65.00
Victorian dollhouse retail $250
Rollicking Rollercoaster retail $350.00
Matador retail $250.00
Puppy in a tub retail $75.00
Cowgirl retail $200.00
Statue of Liberty retail $70.00
JL Little Chick retail $300.00
Lily Bouquet retail $300.00
Teacup retail $100.00
King Charles Spaniel retail $75.00
Dreamy Dessert retail $70.00

It is all the solids being solid without perfume or at insanely low BIN prices. We were told selling of solids at the warehouse sales was stopped but please look, these are all from the same locations:
New York/US
England
Canada
Please also look at what else these sellers are selling if EL does not think they are coming for the warehouse sales. WE ARE NOT STUPID AND I REFUSE TO SPEND ANY MORE OF MY $$ ON NEW SOLIDS, IF EL DOESN'T CARE THAN EITHER DO I AS THE COMPANY IS REALLY RUINING ME WANTING TO BE A COLLECTOR ANYMORE.

On one last note, I do believe we were told by EL that the solids must be stolen if that is the case than doesnt everyone think EL needs to do a better job with their security?

#2 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 06:14 PM

Hear, hear Lisa !! Totally agree - no-one wants to be 'ripped' off by retail prices anymore when they can get them for less than half price elsewhere!!

EL are ruining there own reputation in the market with things like this happening. Having supported the Australian market for so long, it is a shame to have to find out that the same products can be obtained EASILY elsewhere in the world for a fraction of the retail cost here.

I and many others here no longer support the EL market in Australia and it looks like other countries are getting the same message!

We want quality and we want a fair deal. There will be no retail market soon if people on Ebay keep producing these 'cheapies'.

Apart from not buying a solid at retail price in Australia for 4 years (when I used to buy 4 - 5 each year . . . yes, lots of $$$ for the store and EL), I have also now not bought a retail solid from the US for 2 years (when I used to buy about 7 - 8 each year).

Not only is the pricing a problem, but the QUALITY has been low. I have not had the slightest interest in the solids produced in 2004 - 2005 and therefore have purchased NONE. I don't suppose I am the only one!

EL needs to re-evaluate their products to HIGH QUALITY, low price instead of LOW quality, high price!

#3 Gigi

Gigi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 08:45 PM

This is a topic where I can really light a fire under and have a very nice flame in a big campfire going. laugh.gif and mad.gif I agree with what Sandra and Lisa have said. I've been collecting since 1988 and know there are other of you people out there who have collected longer than that. From the beginning of 2000 and onward I have noticed a difference in our little treasurers compared to previous years and I haven't liked that difference. Yes, I have not spent the money on them like I once did. There have been two years where I did not spend a dollar on any solid and that nearly killed me because I'm still a collector. But I lived through it and yes have purchased a few solids since then which I still really enjoy and have no regrets about getting. I stilll look forward to the new ones in hopes of things will change. Call me stupid but I still do have hope. What really burns me besides these warehouse sales and certain ebay solids showing up is: various policies and decisions being made by EL company management. No I have not forgotten about that conference call last year with the five of you. I thought that was very unprofessional for EL management to act that way and they could have handled it totally different. But that's my opinion, it has long been over and done with and time to move forward but still not forget. FYI, the first quarter 2005 earnings of EL Companies was weak and not up to Wall Street expectaions. One stock market analyst mentioned to me and others in April that with those numbers they reported in March, it doesn't look like they know how to run a company! Now that is interesting to me. I haven't heard yet how EL did on 2005 second quarter results. But with this in mind I can't help but think they are having some problems and if not, then why such weak earning numbers? I try to joke about it and say its because a few of us collectors are not spending the money like we once did on expensive solid products.laugh.gif

Forgive me for posting this way. A bright spot in all of this is this wonderful site, the care and attention Lisa and Jack give this site and all of you collectors out there making posts which we can relate to. You guys and gals are great to post with! smile.gif

Gigi

#4 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 11:50 PM

I agree totally about the quality. Do you think in part it could be because Miss Estee got old and died and she was a the helm and made sure the quality control and design were top notch???
Empties stolen indeed! My eye! ph34r.gif

#5 Sara

Sara

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 07:04 PM

And I thought it was me being a newbie that thought these prices were low!!!!

In fact I've purchased a couple of them...got the dollhouse for 139 US with perfume advertised as mint in box ... I'll wait and see what I get, but I was sorely tempted to purchase another couple from the same ebayer! But, now I know I probably won't be haunting the David Jones counter waiting for the new ones...for me it's not so much about making money off investing on them, I just want to have the little treasures for me - Mine, all mine! haha tongue.gif So, I'm happy to buy them where ever I can find them, for the smallest price possible! Who wants to pay more?

And KK I think you're right about Miss Estee dying and the quality going down - that's the way our society is heading - it's hard to find real quality in anything now. But with these nice ones being offered at such low prices, it's hard to believe they are being stolen in such large quantities - someone is hooked into massive sales (or maybe the manufacturer??) somewhere... If Estee Lauder is serious about keeping the compacts going, and keeping collectors interested, maybe they should start numbering them and tracking the sales - this is done with other serious forms of collecting (ie some limited edition prints, etc) and helps ensure the authenticity of the items.

Ok, that's all the babbling I'll do for now...just be warned Lisa, now that you've got me started you may have a hard time shutting me up! laugh.gif

Cheers, Sara

#6 katita

katita

Katita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 09:33 AM

I was just looking around the web and I went to the Ruby Lane site and there are the new Jay Strongwaters for sale already! I just can't believe how fast they get put out there. These are not cheap but still...I guess this means they will be on ebay before you know it. It's very upsetting to see this. I don't collect to re-sell, I just collect for me but still there should be some kind of control on the part of EL. I just think they don't care at all about what goes on. I read the posts from all of you and I think we care more then they do, and I bet the majority of us are not stock holders! It doesn't seem to make sense to ignore the people who use their pocketbooks to support you. I suppose it's no surprise that their earnings were down - maybe that will make them re-think the way that they do business - I'm not optimistic about it.

I just wanted to have a good rant in the morning - thanks for "listening" rolleyes.gif

Have a good weekend everyone!

Katita

#7 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 09:57 AM

Ok, that's all the babbling I'll do for now...just be warned Lisa, now that you've got me started you may have a hard time shutting me up! laugh.gif

Sara,

I love it!
It's just so much more interesting when the group as a whole joins in on a topic.

EL does have control when it comes to the collectors- for instance in the LV store you were only allowed three Pink Ladies (is it two or three?) per person. I myself, only purchase for me (the solids I have for sale came from a collection I purchased and some I am helping another member sell) but yes, some members buy to sell or trade and IMHO think there is nothing wrong with that. MY POINT is EL controls the collector by limiting their purchases, we have all heard horror stories of members purchasing solids at the CCS BUT EL has no control on just how many solids you can purchase at a warehouse sale- it has been reported on this site that at the warehouse sales as many solids as you want could be purchased for as little as $10 each! mad.gif some with the box, some without. Bottom line: control the collectors.

#8 katita

katita

Katita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 10:20 AM

What are these "warehouse sales" and WHERE are they and who is allowed to attend. Are they "open" to the public? I just don't get this.

Katita

#9 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 11:23 AM

Hi Katita,
from reading other posts I think the warehouse sales are in Toronto, Canada, somewhere in NY state and Rhode Island. I think this is where the solids are manufactured. You are suppose to have a ticket or some invite to get in.
Lisa and Ann really know the story better than I do. But, it's something along those lines. Find out how to get a ticket and get in.
Someone who's actually been to a warehouse sale please tell us what it's like biggrin.gif

#10 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 11:00 PM

I'd also like to know more about those warehouse sales. I haven't even travelled to the cities/states mentioned above.

I haven't bought as much solids off of ebay this year as before. I'm getting highly depressed about collecting. Besides the complaints mentioned in this topic, I have additional collecting issues that frustrate me. ph34r.gif

#11 peanutbutter

peanutbutter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 04:07 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am a little depressed looking at the posts since I am so new to collecting I don't want to run out and buy any new ones.

Is there going to be a future in collecting EL Solids? It appears EL does not care.

What do you all think?

Mary

#12 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 09:55 PM

Hi Mary,
Don't let all the venting get you down. That's just our way. ohmy.gif unsure.gif
Buy what you like what apeals to you. wub.gif Especially if you're collecting just for the fun of it.
Now, if you collect to re-sell that's a different story. I just collect for the fun and beauty of the solids. I don't have all of them and never will. But, it would be exciting to come across the Imperial Princess and sell her. I just don't see what the draw is for her, but I get very excited and happy when one of the site members win her on ebay.
Don't get down just look over your collection and admire what you have biggrin.gif
Hey, are you close enough to Dland to see the fireworks at night? I remember them going off like clock work at 9:30.
Take care biggrin.gif

#13 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 10:44 PM

Well said KK! smile.gif

As collectors the best thing we have going for us is that we just have to buy what we like. We have gone from wanting to get all of the solids, ph34r.gif , to just buying what we really, really like.

Like a lot of others. at times we have bought some to resell, but have rarely made any profit on them. Now we just buy to upgrade to Mib or to get something that we love. biggrin.gif

Luckily for all of us collectors there are a LOT of solids to collect which will keep us happy during the years that the new ones don't seem too good. There always seems to be the one that is really elusive and that is what make collecting the Estees so much fun. (We'd kill for Sandras' Carousel, she's lucky to be so far away. She might be in danger.) ph34r.gif

We think that sometimes our new members read a lot of the posts about how no one likes this or that and get the wrong idea. As KK as said so eloquently, the fun of collecting is in getting something that makes your heart go pitty pat. smile.gif

We bet when Lisa got her new Snow Pear MIB that for a little while she didn't even think about all the EL companies' mistakes in the thrill of the moment of getting a rare solid. laugh.gif laugh.gif And she owns a LOT of Estee solids.

There will always be that thrill out there for the real collectors, so don't get discouraged by anyones' posts about the stuff they don't like that is going on. VENTING is allowed blink.gif but we don't think that Estee solid perfume collecting is ever going to go away. The Solids are just too pretty and nothing can take that away, ever. biggrin.gif

#14 peanutbutter

peanutbutter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 10:57 PM

KK,

Thank you, Thank you !!

I only collect for the fun of it - you, Don & Margaret have made me feel better. I understand venting.

KK, We just moved a couple of months ago (needed more space) at our old house the kids did not go to bed until the fireworks were over we would sit outside and watch them at 9:30 sharp. But where we live now we hear them but don't see them. I sure miss it.

Thank you again,

Mary

#15 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:03 AM

I told my Neiman Marcus rep that I wasn't buying solids this year for two reasons -the warehouse sales and the lack of "bling." She told me she'd pass on my comments to EL (I know she will).
Ar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users