28 replies to this topic

#1 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 05:31 PM

Hello,

Just wanted to let everyone know that every month or so we are going to be pruning the site and removing members with 0 posts. Again we are doing this to allow the site to be used by members that actively participate and to make more room.

I am not going to send out emails every time because it is going to be done automatically by a script on the site.

If you are a member with 0 posts and don't want to be deleted all you need to do is- post and get to know everyone! I do know some don't understand why this is being done but like I have said before I want the site to be give and take.

Thanks wink.gif

#2 Sara

Sara

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 04:03 AM

OK this is scary for new members, but I certainly don't want to be PRUNED! tongue.gif

Just starting a collection, love these compacts....reading all of your posts has given me SOOOOOO much information - thank you all!

Sara

#3 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 07:02 AM

Good job Sara. biggrin.gif

Welcome and keep posting please. smile.gif smile.gif

#4 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 09:43 AM

Hi Sara and welcome to the site!

I don't mean for this information to be scary but we just get way too many people that sign up and then never come to the site again. I think a lot of people come to the site to hunt for photos and other information for their eBay auctions.

It just takes up too much valued space on our servers. We do want everyone to contribute at some point because everyones opinion counts and it is important to share.

Again welcome and hopefully we will all get to know you better.

#5 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 11:25 AM

HI SARA........ WELCOME FROM ENGLAND...... smile.gif

DO KEEP POSTING, WE DO LIKE TO HEAR FROM NEW MEMBERS, WE HAVE ALL BEEN NEW AT SOME POINT OR OTHER, THIS IS A GOOD SITE AND PEOPLE WILL GIVE YOU A LOT OF HELP....... laugh.gif

MARGARET

#6 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 05:28 PM

biggrin.gif Nice post, Sara! Good to hear from you. Where are you from? Are you an Aussie? How long have you been 'lurking' before posting? laugh.gif

Glad to hear from you! cool.gif

#7 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 11:41 PM

Sandra, you are so funny laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif You and I will never be pruned we're too chatty. ohmy.gif wink.gif

Hi Sara,
Welcome to the site! laugh.gif biggrin.gif It's always great to have new thoughts and comments. Hope to hear more from you. biggrin.gif

#8 blackvelvette

blackvelvette

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 12:59 AM

OoooH!

I am basically quiet by nature but on my next visit to the supermarket, I shall buy me a box of bird seeds so that I can S_I_N_G and then Lisa will just have to tell me to be QUIET! laugh.gif

P.S. I just wub.gif wub.gif this site and reading the posts just makes my day smile.gif

Hi Sara,

WELCOME TO THE SITE!!!! YOU WILL LEARN A LOT FROM THE MEMBERS HERE ... THEY ARE A GREAT BUNCH!!

Pamela.

#9 Queenie

Queenie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 09:36 AM

Dear Sara

Welcome to the site also! Sounds as if you have a good sense of humor!
This is an informative group of ladies and men, GLAD YOU JOINED!
biggrin.gif

#10 katita

katita

Katita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:24 PM

WELCOME TO THE SITE! You will enjoy these people so much - I have made new friends here and I'm very grateful to Lisa for starting this site and giving all of us the change to know each other!

I think we're all wonderful people!! rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

Again, welcome! Katita

#11 Sara

Sara

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 06:47 PM

What a response to one little post!!!

For those who asked - I'm a Canadian living in Australia (Sydney) for just over 6 years now. And Sandra, I've only been lurking here for a couple of weeks...my friend found this site and pointed me to it - other than this I've been having a heck of a time finding info about the compacts, other than what I read on eBay, which you can't really trust! tongue.gif

Can anyone tell me, is the collector's book that I've seen on eBay a good one? Is it still in print? I haven't seen it in any bookshops, so I'm assuming it's a couple of years old.

Thanks
Sara biggrin.gif

#12 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 08:00 PM

Hi Sara - nice to see another Sydney-sider on the site!!

The book I think is from 2001, and they were only available here at David Jones in that year. I've seen it every now and then on Ebay too. I believe it is the only one available for solids, but it only contains most of them up until 2001.

I don't know where else you can get it from over here.

Still, you are on the right site for info!! PLUS, you get more info here than what's in the book!!

#13 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 10:24 PM

Sara,

You can also get this book at Amazon.com but ebay may be the place to get it the cheapest.

Although it's dangerous to disagree with Sandra, ph34r.gif ,we think every new collector of the solids should own this book. smile.gif

#14 Flyaway

Flyaway

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE(Don and Margaret @ Jul 23 2005, 03:24 AM)
Sara,

You can also get this book at Amazon.com but ebay may be the place to get it the cheapest.

Although it's dangerous to disagree with Sandra, ph34r.gif ,we think every new collector of the solids should own this book. smile.gif

View Post

#15 Nicki169

Nicki169

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 11:33 AM

Hi Sara,
Welcome to this website! I agree with Don and Margaret. Roselyn Gerson's book, The Estee Lauder Solid Perfume Compact Collection is a must have for any EL solids collector. The book contains wonderful photos that cover the years from 1967 to 2001. Of course Lisa and Jack's Solid Database (refer to yellow tab above) has pictures of the solids up to 2004. A few of the 2005 solids are cuurently there. I like having both resources. I use the book to post the prices and dates of when I add a solid to my collection.

Once again welcome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users