• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 07:15 PM

So now on top of people hacking into our Ebay accounts, I have just received an email supposedly from Paypal asking me if I have added a new email to my paypal account!!

Can everybody write to this email address "phoneseller@yahoo.com"
and tell them what scum they are please? I have already written them one of my own, but don't use the email you have connected with Paypal or Ebay. They could use it against you.

Thanks in anticipation of all your combined help.

Edited by Sandra, 17 July 2005 - 07:17 PM.

#2 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 07:19 PM

Err.... me again . . . . seems the address doesn't exist and they are trying it on to see if I accept it. I have just had my email returned. dry.gif

Don't waste your time. But just had to vent my anger on this loser!! mad.gif

Anybody else had this sort of thing happen in Paypal? ohmy.gif

#3 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 10:06 PM

Sandra
Sounds to me as if you got whats called a "spoof" email. They look like they came from paypal but are really fraudulent emails.

I never open them and forward ebay items to ebay customer support or to paypal customer support.

I also have installed the ebay tool bar. One time I clicked on a spoof email and something in the tool bar program warned me that it was not from ebay.

Hope this helps
Ron

#4 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 10:21 PM

I've gotton that email several times in the past few months. I was so scared because I though someone hacked into my account!

The way I determine whether it's real or not is to manually log into my paypal account through the site. Also, real paypal emails address you by your name.

#5 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 08:08 PM

Thanks Ron, thanks Greyhound. I nearly fell for it, but was on the alert when I clicked on the link in the email and it asked me to confirm all my details again on a form that looked remarkably like Paypal's!! ohmy.gif

I didn't, of course then got paranoid and manually went into Paypal to change my password again (just in case!!) then searched and searched for ways of reporting the 'incident'.

Must have reported it about 3 different times to different sections and wasn't sure whether it was the Australian Paypal site or the American one that I should report to or whether they were the same. dry.gif

(My account began in the US, I believe)

Anyway, have had a few computer generated responses from Paypal - you just never know who or what you are dealing with online. Whether it's a computer humoring you or whether it's an actual person 'dealing with it'! blink.gif

This is when I really, really despise doing things "online". Not that it's too different from being conned 'in person'. mad.gif

Ah well . . . what can we all do but 'be aware' and support each other? smile.gif
It's a crazy, crazy world that we live in!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users