• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#76 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 06:40 PM

Harrods shipping is expensive. You get the 17% VAT deducted from the price but the shipping ends up costing around 13-15% if I remember right

#77 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 10:43 PM

cool.gif You remember right . . . . although shipping to where I am virtually equals or is more the 17.5% VAT !!

Edited by Sandra, 17 October 2005 - 10:51 PM.

#78 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 10:50 PM

QUOTE(greyhound @ Oct 17 2005, 11:21 PM)
The exchange rates between USD and Pounds is brutal for Americans. I don't see why someone would buy the reindeer in London when you can get it cheaper state side.  ??? Ahhh...if only the US dollar is worth more.

View Post

Hey - you Americans have the exchange to pounds well above us!! Try almost 3:1 Australian dollars !! Now that hurts ! (ouch!) dry.gif

Consider yourself more fortunate than us poor, poor Aussies!!

Plus we get an extra slug for shipping because of the distance! sad.gif

Plus the time change is so dramatic we have to call at odd hours for anyone to be answer . . . . sad.gif

Plus we can't order more than a certain amount because of the steep customs duty, so we can't get our pounds postage worth . . . . sad.gif

Plus we can't buy it here because they either don't get enough in or they are way too expensive so we have no other option that to buy from o/s . . . . sad.gif

However, we know not to complain smile.gif We have great other things in life over here . . . . cool.gif

#79 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 11:47 PM

Our daughter in London picked up the Harrods' bear for us today and said that they were almost sold out of them (275 were made). She also said that the saleslady said the Sentry wasn't selling well. ph34r.gif (probably will make it worth a fortune in the future, lol)

We only bought the bear this year as we don't want to break the chain of the ones we have. Summer is going to ship it to us herself and save us some of the postage. Nice to have her in London. smile.gif

#80 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 01:57 AM

On ya, Don and Margaret!!

I, however decided to break the chain and am not going to buy the 2005 bear ohmy.gif

I am trying to stand by my decision to buy what I love, not just to have and hope.

Good luck to all those who bought him, I hope he makes you a lot of money in the future.

#81 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 09:46 PM

This is a question for those who have received the 2005 Harrods solids already....

Are there are cards in the boxes this year like last year?

#82 NancyH

NancyH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 12:35 AM

SANDRA- I RECEIVED ALL 3 2005 HARROD'S SOLIDS- THEY ALL HAD CARDS IDENTIFYING THE NAME OF THE SOLID AND INDICATING IT WAS A LIMITED EDITION WITHOUT MENTIONING THE NUMBER OF THIS SOLID OR HOW MANY WERE MADE. THE ONE I LIKED BEST WAS THE BULLDOG. THE BEARS ALL SEEM TO BE THE SAME AND THE PALACE GUARD IS NOT IMPRESSIVE. NANCY H cool.gif

#83 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 02:54 AM

Nancy, was surprised to read that no mention is made on the card.

Normally the Card states 500 made of each, or whatever! So this year
they are not doing that??????

ohmy.gif

EH244 can you tell us what is happening this year re the allocation of the
solids i.e. how many being released.

smile.gif

Seems like Summer was on the ball! Well, there will be more after the
first batch especially if there is no specific number allocated this year, which is a
departure from the norm...... ?

Edited by Jacqueline, 08 November 2005 - 03:39 AM.

#84 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 06:56 AM

Nancy
They are limited to the number that they can sell. sad.gif

#85 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 05:14 PM

Too right, Ron!! dry.gif

I thought the cards should say that they are limited to however many too.

Oh well, another small but important let down for the collectors, but seems EL doesn't give a HOOT as long as they sell, sell, sell !

Poor old sentry guard isn't a winner . . . perhaps all the Royalists are upset by the cheeky change of "ER" to "EL" ! (Well as well as him not being all that cute)

#86 Liliane

Liliane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 04:55 PM

Yesterday I received my Harrods Solids and I nearly donÝt thaw to say something - because - they please me all very well! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Okey - the bear of this year is nothing special. I expected a special bear because it is the anniversary bear. 20 years Harrods bear and also the fifth Harrods Est╚e Lauder solid bear. Yes ˝ Rodney is bigger then the rest (the others are more or less the same size) ˝ hi is like the father bear and I sill like hin best. Thomas from 2004 is for me also on second place. All the others are to me yust cute - they are ok!

Actually I donÝt like Bulldogs at all and imagined that I wouldenÝt like this solid for this reason - but - he pleases me - it looks much better in person (times apart from the opinion in the back tongue.gif tongue.gif ).

The Palace Guard surprised me enormously. As I saw the pic I was sceptically and a bit disappointed like many here. As I saw it in person I was very surprised! It looks great to me. The Guard is stretching his left leg and arm - he is in the process stepping infront the guardhouse. By the way - the background in the guardhouse is not blue, itÝs the Harrods green.

So I like the Palace Guard from this years Harrods solids best ˝ I think this solid is very special - wonderful!!!
It's only my opinion!!!

Regards from cold Switzerland,

Liliane

PS.: Americans have the exchange to pounds also well above us in Switzerland
....... and we have also almost 3:1 like the Australian dollars sad.gif sad.gif

#87 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 04:59 PM

smile.gif Thanks for that Liliane - I've only seen the Palace Guard from the pictures and did not like it, but from your description it sounds quite charming. Any chance of you posting a picture of it with the true colours?

I agree with you on the bulldog - I did not like it at first but now I have it, I think he is great!! He is the only one I have from the Harrods ones this year. The bear I think I will leave. Does anyone know his name?

Edited by Sandra, 09 November 2005 - 04:59 PM.

#88 Liliane

Liliane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 05:27 PM

You are welcome Sandra; I tray to take pics!

The name of the "Harrods Bear 2005" is Nicholas (hope the spelling is right!)

So long,

Liliane

#89 Liliane

Liliane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 05:49 PM

Sorry sad.gif sad.gif could not get it on the "Chat Area" here - did put six photos on the "Members Photos".

Liliane

Edited by Liliane, 09 November 2005 - 06:40 PM.

#90 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 07:00 PM

I too got my Harrods solids today!

Here is my opinion:

Like Liliane I expected more being the the 20th anniversary. I do not at all like the "20 years" stamp on the foot, I don't mind the Harrods stamp on the other foot but with both feet stamped it's distracting. Out of 5 *'s, with 5 being the best, I give this solid 2*'s.
user posted image

I love the little bulldog the best! I love his jeweled collar with Harrods tag, it is also the perfect solid size. 5 *'s!
user posted image

Like Liliane I too like this solid, and yes, that is Harrods green in the background. I give this solid 4*'s
user posted image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users