• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#16 klassicguy1

klassicguy1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 05:59 AM

I have to go with the consensus here...not that impressed with the Harrods pieces so far. I will probably buy them, but wish they were more appealling sad.gif

#17 mimi

mimi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 01:12 PM

YEP !! Me too, Woody. sad.gif sad.gif

Mimi

#18 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 07:50 PM

The bear is disappointing, especially when you consider all the darling little outfits that could be designed for him. And while we're on the subject, when will Harrod's give the boys a sister? biggrin.gif

#19 Nicki169

Nicki169

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 01:21 AM

Last year I couldn't wait to get my solids from Harrods!! biggrin.gif And this year I'm not interested in the dog or the bear. What a dissapointment. sad.gif

#20 P.E.Parry

P.E.Parry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 08:28 AM

The bear was good for my morning laugh. Two red cucumbers hanging from a scarf! Yes, the 20 is very distracting. I have never liked any of the Harrods bears.

Kinda like the pup. He looks so fiesty. We can only hope the palace guard will be their best piece.

Phyllis

#21 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 05:28 PM

laugh.gif laugh.gif That's funny, Phyllis - I had to go back and have a look at the bear's arms, and yes, I believe you are right about the cucumber look!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

And yes, Barb, what a disappointment after last year's great solids from Harrods!!

sad.gif

#22 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 05:38 PM

We have to agree with most everyone about this years' designs. sad.gif They are kinda like rock n' roll music. What happened to all the good stuff? ph34r.gif ph34r.gif

#23 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 06:55 PM

You know Don and Margaret you are right! Remember a while back during the convention I said collecting is'nt what it use to be... this is part of the reason. I used to have a count down until the new solids came in the stores and even requested to be called as soon as they boxes of solids were unloaded off the truck. These days I could care less. The other reasons for saying this is the lack of design from EL. We keep getting the same dogs, cats, shells, fish, butterflies and the list goes on, creativity is gone and so is the workmanship, I can see the solids designed for fast production- lacking handset crystals and small details. I think this is why we don't see any crystal encrusted solids that we all love so very much because these solids need lots of hours of production (hand setting each crystal ) and they can't be mass produced.

I again can't tell you all just how much I hate seeing solids for sale on eBay from the warehouse sales and at the CCS discounted. It really, really infurates me seeing solids I paid full price for offered at less than half or less like the JL chick. mad.gif This is why I am not purchasing ANY OF THE 2005 SOLIDS THIS YEAR. I did get the Pink Lady but because of the size now wish I saved my $$ I also got the Oyster but with a voucher and ordered the Harrods but am not happy at all with the bear, couldn't we have a Santa suit or a plain bear with antlers something a little more creative than a sweater and scarf? blink.gif

Well now that I am in full rant mode I may as well add why won't EL work more closely with us collectors? And what ever happened to our slot machines being corrected and for that matter I have a green violin. dry.gif

#24 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 07:40 PM

That's right Lisa, get it off your chest or back ohmy.gif I feel better now just after reading your post. Well said! wink.gif

#25 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 09:51 PM

Yep Lisa, we agree. All (and we mean all) of the ones we still really want are from years back and all of them have the qualities that you point out.

The hand workmanship with tons of crystals and imagination seems to be lacking this year. sad.gif

EL really needs to rethink their corporate policies about these super little collectables and get back into the groove that they were in not too long ago. 1999 was a great year and every year since has gotten a little worse. What is the problem, we wonder. Is it just corporate greed and thinking that they can produce an inferior product and charge more. Maybe they have forgotten this is a free market economy. mad.gif

Ok, we're through venting also for a while and will go back to our collecting. tongue.gif
We think better days are ahead and hope for another carousel or green apple quality solid for our future. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

EL has the talent and manufacturing capabilities still in place and just need to use them better. We love Jay and Judith but maybe a designer change would shake EL out of the doldrums (or just add a new designer).

Just out of curiosity, has anyone seen the dragon in person this year and how did you like it? It intrigues us but we are afraid the size will be a drawback to how well we like it.

#26 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 10:00 PM

Oh Lisa, I don't know whether to laugh or cry at your post, but I'm doing both. It is all very sad but true. Don't get me wrong, I think what you've said hits it all on the head . . . it's the way we all feel! sad.gif

#27 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 10:33 PM

But I don't want to feel this way sad.gif I want to again eagerly await the new solids and want to ooooh and ahhhhh.....

On the flip side I am eagerly awaiting a solid I just purchased- I was hoping it would come in the mail today. It's a vintage solid and that is my focus, thank goodness I can still get excitied over those!

#28 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 12:26 AM

Hi D & M,
The dragon is big and mostly enamel. I think I have a photo of it in the "members photos" if not I'll email you.

I just looked in members photos. The dragon is under NM SOLIDS~2005 on pg. 2 of my gallery. It's not very sharp but it gives you an idea of the size and shape and color.

#29 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 10:08 AM

Don and Margaret,

The colors and design of the dragon are gorgeous, it's the size issue for me (as I am sure everyone knows- sorry) I may be wrong but I think the piece measures roughly 2 3/4 inches long as I rember I had it in the palm of my hand and it filled it up.

user posted image

I think you will both have to see it in person. I know lots of people loved it.

#30 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 01:48 PM

Thanks KK and Lisa. smile.gif

The picture and descriptions are a big help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users