4 replies to this topic

#1 SINNETT

SINNETT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 01:21 PM

[COLOR=blue]

Well we know how much you Americans love the 4th of July and here in France we are gearing up to Bastille Day on the 14th of July - lots of festivities and fireworks. blink.gif ohmy.gif biggrin.gif Oh, and maybe just the tiniest glass of red wine for me laugh.gif laugh.gif

In the UK we never really had "A DAY" to celebrate which I think is quite sad. mad.gif sad.gif

Do other countries have a special day, and if so what do you all do?

Looking forward to your replies

Caroline

#2 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 05:30 PM

Hi Caroline,

On January 26th we have "Australia Day" celebrations. For me, it's lots of activity on Sydney Harbour and Pyrotechnics / Fireworks displays at night.

#3 pinkmoiree

pinkmoiree

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 04:46 AM

smile.gif The 1st of August is supposed to be the birthday of Switzerland and this goes back to 1291, but modern Switzerland (Confoederatio Helveticae) goes back to 1848.

We celebrate this day since 1891, but only since 1994 it is a working-free holiday (after a plebiscite in 1993). Before it was a normal working-day because most activities are held in the evening such as bonfires (sometimes along with speeches), processions with chinese lanterns (for the children) and of course fireworks everywhere! rolleyes.gif

And being a holiday now we have nothing against a good barbecue! laugh.gif

Madeleine

#4 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 04:50 PM

Caroline, what about St George
St Patrick, and St Andrew!

#5 SINNETT

SINNETT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 02:47 AM

I know Nancy, but WHY do the Brits not celebrate like other countries? unsure.gif

I just find it weird, it's not as if we don't like a good party tongue.gif

Someone should take the matter in hand and come up with "BRITISH" day - or something like it.

How are you fixed for organising a National Celebration??? wink.gif

Maybe next year!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users