• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 05:39 PM

No surprises so far in the men's draw, but sad to see Justine beaten so early after her French Open win! sad.gif

Going for Lleyton of course as he is flying our Aussie flag, but not sure about the women's . . . . will it be Serena again?

#2 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 07:29 AM

Caught two matches yesterday, Henman/Nieminen and Williams/Haynes

Henman was feeling the weight of being the British star and made an uncomfortable start, even though he is a four times semi finalist I can't see him going on for many more games untill he gets knocked out.......some way or other he seems to lack the spirit to be a Wimbledon champion.

What a different game the Williams/Haynes was. A joy to watch. Angela Haynes all but beat Williams who looked sluggish and out of sorts to me and more than a little overweight, could be that we have an up and coming Wimbledon champion in Haynes......one to watch.

Just for once the weather has been good for the first week of play, they do say thunder on Friday. Don't know how many more matches I will be able to see as I am decorating the outside of the house sad.gif

Margaret..... smile.gif

#3 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 05:56 PM

Yeah - it's a bit time consuming in the day to watch all that great tennis, isn't it Margaret!! Luckily for us it starts around 10:30pm so we've got nothing better to do than to rug up in front of the telly and watch it or go to bed. Our only problem is that we don't get much sleep before getting up to go to work the next day!!

So I haven't seen any women's matches - only Hewitt's (that's all they seem to show over here at the moment . . . . well before midnight anyway!)

Looking forward to the weekend matches to see what's going on! biggrin.gif

#4 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 06:24 PM

We have just the opposite problem as we have to get up really early to see live play in the early matches before we go to work. biggrin.gif

Our money this year is on Federer or Safin for the mens' title and Lindsay or Sharapova for the womens'.

We'd love to see Roddick do well but past experience says not. sad.gif

However it goes, the action will heat up this weekend. ph34r.gif

#5 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 09:40 AM

I'm just not getting anything done with all the great coverage now! I'm officially a couch potato. laugh.gif

#6 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 05:20 PM

HENMAN WENT OUT TODAY AND ONLY THE 2nd ROUND, HIS PLAY WAS RUBBISH mad.gif

MARGARET

#7 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 05:29 PM

Sad to agree with you, Margaret!! England badly needs another (younger) great hope to wave the Union Jack for them!! sad.gif

Poor bloke!! Usually Henman at least gets to the second week! You have my consolations. Phillippousis is gone too (what's new?) and all the Aussie girls (also what's new?). Lleyton is hanging in for us. wink.gif

#8 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 09:10 AM

HI SANDRA..... smile.gif

BRITIAN HAS A NEW UP AND COMING STAR. ANDREW MURRY ( A SCOTS MAN )
EIGHTEEN YEARS OLD, VERY TALL AND STRONG, STILL GOT TO GROW INTO HIS FRAME. YESTERDAY HE TOOK OUT RADEK STEPANEK 6-4 6-4 6-4 I WAS ON THE EDGE OF MY CHAIR WATCHING IT AND SHOUTING AT THE TELLY ( THINK THEY CAN TAKE YOU AWAY FOR DOING THAT ) laugh.gif laugh.gif

CAN'T WAIT FOR HIS NEXT MATCH, NEVER GOING TO GET THE OUTSIDE DECORATED AT THIS RATE ohmy.gif

REGARDS......MARGARET

#9 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 10:48 AM

Nope, they can't take you away for yelling at the television. Don would have been gone years ago it that was true. ph34r.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

(Should have heard him last night when San Antonio won the NBA finals). blink.gif

Margaret

#10 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 06:39 PM

I'm so happy for young Andy Murray, so nice for Dunblane to have something nice to be remembered for for a change!
He also seems to be very level headed and not getting carried away.
One to watch for the future I think. cool.gif

#11 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 05:15 PM

Margaret - Good to hear the Brits have someone else to shout about !! biggrin.gif

Well - goodbye Serena!! That was a good knockout! Maybe I will go for Lleyton's ex - Kim Clijsters to win the women's - she is due for a grand slam win !

#12 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 11:56 PM

ohmy.gif I really can't watch Sharapova play anymore. Her 'shreiking' bugs the hell out of me!! No wonder she wins - all her opponents are probably put off by it!

Honestly - I couldn't stand it and had to turn the sound off to enjoy the match!

I was sad that she won . . . . only because of the fact that if she gets to the finals, I will have to watch it with the sound off!

What are other people's opinions on this? sad.gif

#13 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 02:06 AM

I'M WITH YOU SANDRA,

THAT DARN NOISE GOES ON AND ON...... AND GETS LOUDER AND LOUDER mad.gif

DONT KNOW WHY HER OPPONENTS PUT UP WITH IT ohmy.gif IT MUST PUT THEM OFF THEIR PLAY.

I THINK A VERY LARGE PIECE OF STICKING PLASTER WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA!!!!!

YES, SHE WILL GET TO THE FINALS AND COULD BE THE WINNER...... HOPE NOT mad.gif

Margaret

#14 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 12:53 PM

Sharapovia's shreiking doesn't put me off at all and I think the opponents just learn to tune it out. It's part of the game as it helps with the players rhythem in striking the ball. I give props to all of them, it's not an easy.

#15 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 04:52 PM

Well the semi-finals for both the men's and the women's are looking exciting!!

They are all terrific match-ups, so the weekend viewing will be great (if it doesn't rain!).

I just hope there's no anti-climax with one sided games!

Go Hewitt and Go Mauresmo! (Just because it's probably her turn!) biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users