• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#91 bettyaknight

bettyaknight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE(bettyaknight @ Jun 19 2005, 03:50 PM)
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=7][COLOR=blue][B]

View Post

Hello Everyone,
I just joined this Estee Lauder solidperfume.com web site. I thank you for allowing me to join.

I will be 83 in August 2005 and have been a widow since 1979 and have lived alone with one cat or another and one computer and another. I am a retired Mainframe Computer Programmer/System Analyst and a retired Independent Contractor and Web Administrator on CompuServe and also The Microsoft Network (MSN).

When Lisa said she was sad about what seemed like a decline in the collecting of Estee Lauder Solid Perfumes, it came to my mind that for me I can't afford to purchase solid compacts anymore. Could that possibly be a reason for a decline?

I found two solids that are rather old. One is the Aliage Silver Pear Pendant (which doesn't have Estee Lauder engraved inside the lid) and also a two color silver and gold heart which is engraved Aviance on the under side and inside the lid is engraved "SACHA" or "BACHA." Does anyone know what those terms mean?

Thanks again; be well, at peace, and take good care.

Sincerely,
Betty A Knight

#92 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 07:44 PM

Wow! Hi Betty - nice to meet you and hear your story!

Glad to see that you have a history in using computers and I would admire anyone who must have seen so many changes in this world throughout the last century! My hat is off to you and I can see this year EL has curbed a little of their upward spiralling prices of solids . . . yes they are expensive! It's a shame that they aren't more affordable, and yes I agree with you about the decline in new collectors . . . .

I can't help you with your question, but I am sure you've come to the right place!

Looking forward to hearing more from you! biggrin.gif

#93 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 10:14 PM

Welcome and big hugs to you, Betty biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
83 years young and a computer whiz to boot. I'm very impressed. I spent Friday installing a new hard drive. My old one was full.
It's great to have you here. I agree with the price of solids going up. Even the general distribution ones. They creep up 10 bucks! Well, I hope to hear more from you, Miss Betty. biggrin.gif

#94 Gigi

Gigi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 10:48 PM

I sincerely add my warm words of welcome to you Betty for coming on this board.
I agree with you, Sandra and KK and other past posts from other members concerning compacts being too expensive and lack of collectors. If I had to guess, I would think price is a major and top concern in buying a solid these days. But it could be also a combination of other things too--like people not liking the design of the compacts EL is producing at this time. Who knows? I'd love to know the average age group of people still buying solids at regular retail, but know EL won't release that information.

Still its nice to have you on board Betty. Yes, I still love my solids as they bring me much enjoyment looking at them. And Yes, I love very much being on this board with all of you folks.smile.gif

Gigi

#95 Nettie

Nettie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 12:16 AM

A big welcome Betty.
How long have you been collecting for?

I think people sometimes have to prioritize their finances because of family commitments or other commitments ,so this has an impact on buying things which are not a necessity.
I know this is true for me, so when I am able to afford a bit of luxury and buy a solid I really appreciate it and it holds a special meaning to me.
Don't get me wrong I'd love to have all the solids but its not a reality for me.
(Maybe one day that may happen but not today,I am very contented with my small collection). biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

This may also apply to other collectables too, not just the wonderful EL solids.

Anyway I hope to hear more from you.

#96 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 04:40 AM

WOW BETTY....... YOUR ONE CLEVER LADY, MY COMPUTER SKILLS CONSIST OF HOPING I HIT THE RIGHT KEYS JUST SOMETIMES.

YES THE SOLIDS ARE EXPENSIVE AND I HAVE ONLY GOT A SMALL COLLECTION BUT IT'S WELL LOVED.

MAY I SEND YOU A VERY VERY WARM WELCOME FROM ENGLAND.

MARGARET...... smile.gif smile.gif

#97 Queenie

Queenie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 06:45 AM

Dear Betty,
I would also like to welcome you to the site, I myself love the perfume solids but find them quite expensive also. My husband and I have a small business and most of our money goes to keeping it afloat, so I don't buy alot of solids either just the ones I really like. smile.gif
Here's wishing you the best and glad you joined the Solid Perfume website.
biggrin.gif

#98 Charlotte

Charlotte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 09:02 AM

Hello Betty,

a very warm welcome also from Italy!

Sure, you'll find here the best site where to find friends.

Charlotte
[COLOR=green]

#99 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 10:44 AM

Betty,

Great to have you as a member and I will add my "welcome" This really is a great place because you will meet all kinds of new friends.

#100 Nicki169

Nicki169

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 11:04 AM

Hello Betty,
Welcome! smile.gif smile.gif It is always nice to hear from someone new. I have been collecting Estee Lauder solids & powders for two years. And like you I have seen the prices go up a lot in that time frame. I retired from the telephone company in 2000. Of all the new 2005 solids and powders, my favorite is the Las Vegas red and black powder compact. It has all the playing card symbols (heart, diamond, spade & club) on it. That is the compact I most want to add to my collection.

#101 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 02:22 PM

HI BARB.....

HOW RIGHT YOU ARE ABOUT THE RED AND BLACK POWDER COMPACT WITH THE PLAYING CARD SYMBOLS ON.....A TRUE VEGAS COMPACT, I HAVE ORDERED MINE AND I CAN'T WAIT.

REGARDS...... MARGARET smile.gif

#102 katita

katita

Katita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 02:59 PM

WELCOME BETTY ! IT'S NOT THE SIZE OF THE COLLECTION BUT HOW MUCH YOU LOVE IT THAT COUNTS! HOPE YOU FIND THE ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTIONS.

WELCOME AGAIN. KATITA

#103 P.E.Parry

P.E.Parry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 04:03 PM

A big welcome to you Betty! Nice to have you join us.

Aviance is a fragrance from Prince Matchabelli. That company made several different solid perfumes including a small gold owl and a pussy cat. Do you remember that old children's poem? If you will send me your address I will mail you those two solids with a copy of the poem. Don't know what the other words mean. I feel sure someone here will probably be able to fill in the blanks for you.

Phyllis

#104 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 05:12 PM

Welcome, Betty, hope to get to know you better. biggrin.gif

#105 bettyaknight

bettyaknight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 02:28 AM

QUOTE(Lisa @ Jun 20 2005, 08:44 AM)
Betty,

Great to have you as a member and I will add my "welcome" This really is a great place because you will meet all kinds of new friends.

View Post

Dear Everyone,
Thank you all for your kind welcomes and you are all very nice people but I wanted to tos end the thanks right away.

I have things to write about and also something I want to write to Phyllis later.

Thanks again for being so kind. Be well, at peace, and take good care.

Sincerely,
Betty A Knight

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users