Brigitte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 11:26 AM

BE AWARE OF YOU E-MAILS!!!

I just got an e-mail from "eBay"

Dear eBay Community Member,

The bid that you entered for the item ( 4373790211 ) has been cancelled.
You can view the reason provided for the cancellation by selecting the link bellow.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...&BidCancelled=1

Regards,
eBay

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This eBay notice was sent to you based on your eBay account preferences. To unsubscribe from this eBay notice, click here .

I you click the link you will get to a site from eBay where they ask you a lot of personal things. I'm sure this is a fraud. The item # they refer to is from an auction that has already ended on April 14th 2005.

Brigitte

Edited by Brigitte, 15 May 2005 - 11:28 AM.

#2 Queenie

Queenie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 12:25 PM

Thanks Brigette for the Heads-up! ohmy.gif
When I receive emails such as those I forward them on to:
ebay@spoof.com. I don't know if it does any good or not, but ebay
always sends an acknowledgement notice back which states they will look into it.
It is nice when members from this website notifieds us in advance something is up
. rolleyes.gif

#3 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 01:57 PM

Thanks Brigitte for bringing this to our attention. It was an email like this where I had to click on to a link that allowed them to steal my name and identity. I did write about this on the site.

They are still at work trying to get us to do this and this enables 'them' to decipher your passwords and change your email address. The next step is: listing items which are nothing to do with you, under your name and receiving payment if they are not caught in time!

As Brigitte has pointed out BEWARE!

sad.gif

#4 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 02:09 PM

Thanks Brigitte and Jacky,

It's important to never even click on the link in these spoof emails. I always just throw them away, I don't even open them to see what they are about but something I always do is like Pam said forward them to eBay.

#5 2cute4u2

2cute4u2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 10:05 AM

Also...check the spelling and grammar. I catch spoofs based on those things alone.

About 3 weeks ago received one from Paypal and the mispelled words were a big clue that it was a spoof. laugh.gif

#6 cka

cka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 11:40 PM

I, too, got one of these messages and it was for a stamp. Of course I had not bid on this item and didn't have any bids currently on Ebay. I did not give them any information.

Spoof at ebay is very good at responding immediately.

Carolyn

#7 pirologists

pirologists

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 09:56 PM

Personally I feel that eBay and Paypal are not doing enough to protect us from these people. Little if anything is done accept to tell the customer the same old same old. I have yet to see any news of a prosecution of a spoofer.

I do have to agree that you should NEVER EVER Click on any link from paypal or ebay. Doing so can cause a keystroke virus or bot to be placed on your computer and the theives can get your information by hacking into your computer.

It is okay however to keep reporting the "spoof" emails to eBay, but make certain to forward the email and copy the information you can get by clicking on the "Details" link in the header. It also doesn't hurt for you to try to figure out what ISP the email originated from and report it to them as well. You can send a CC to them.

There was just a great news article on TV today about spoofers and what happens to your information once these bandits get a hold of it. Literally your information can be sold or traded across the globe in a matter of minutes.
There are many websites that go unreported on the lower bands of the internet. This is where these theives lie. mad.gif

#8 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 05:39 PM

QUOTE(pirologists @ May 28 2005, 02:56 AM)
Personally I feel that eBay and Paypal are† not doing enough to protect us from these people. Little if anything is done accept to tell the customer the same old same old.† I have yet to see any news of a prosecution of a spoofer.

View Post

Agree with you there! I have never received feedback regarding experiences I have had on Ebay. Wonder if we ever will!

Edited by Jacqueline, 28 May 2005 - 05:43 PM.

#9 Carolyn

Carolyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE(Jacqueline @ May 29 2005, 08:09 AM)
Agree with you there!      I have never received feedback regarding experiences I have had on Ebay.      Wonder if we ever will!

View Post

Have to agree with you there! I have just had a very bad experience with an ebay seller who deregistered themselves within hours of receiving my payment. mad.gif The goods have never arrived. So I cant even leave negative feedback to warn others. Square trade say they arent replying to their emails, so that is all they can do about it. That is pretty useless! blink.gif

By the way, this was not for an Estee Lauder item so dont panic people!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users