69 replies to this topic

#61 Queenie

Queenie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 10:31 AM

Martha C, ]"That is sooo...cute!" tongue.gif
I never thought I looked that good using a hula hoop.
"You made me biggrin.gif today!"

#62 pinkmoiree

pinkmoiree

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 10:54 AM

biggrin.gif Thank you Martha for that cute (animation) picture!

Madeleine

#63 Jeanette

Jeanette

Jeanette

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 02:16 PM

Reading all of these posts has been very inspiring and enlightening. I, too, have struggled with weight and weight loss and found that Weight Watchers is the answer for me. I lost 20 pounds on this program last year and did it very slowly.

I don't want to give up the things I love, such as pasta, bread, pretty much anything that is carb-related. So I find that I am able to balance my meals following the Weight Watchers point system. For me, it is a lifestyle change that I will have to make for the rest of my life. I try to stay within 5 lbs of my goal weight, and some days are better than others, but the key for me is to get back on track if I have a setback.

And I am a Diet Coke addict also. I try to drink water, but I always go back to Diet Coke. I did see the new Diet Coke w/splenda recently, but have not tried it yet. I will definitely add it to my shopping list to try.

And all of this talk about exercise is really making me feel guilty. My husband has been after me about bike riding with him and I keep making excuses. I just as soon curl up on my sofa and read a book or magazine.

All of you have inspired me so much that I plan to take the clothes pile off of my treadmill tonight and start walking!

Jeanette

#64 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 02:25 PM

Love the animation Martha! As for losing weight, even without sugar in the diet and not over-eating, it is still a battle. The way I try to keep my calories down is by visiting as many Antique Fairs as possible. That means running for buses, rushing for trains, and trailing around looking for the Solid Antiques! Sofar, I still cannot shed the extra couple of pounds, only those in my wallet!

Oh well! sad.gif

#65 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 06:19 PM

laugh.gif Too funny, Jacky!! Maybe it's that big cream bun in your other hand that's stopping you even as you run for public transport!

(OK - well that may be my problem!! I don't run for public transport, I drive to it!)

I do a lot of swimming (because I don't like the feel of perspiration and sweating on my skin when I do other active things) - but I'm so hungry after it, I just love to come home and eat! ohmy.gif

I think it's all got to do with good digestion and metabolism. Keep off those pork pies and potatoes whenever possible! wink.gif

Edited by Sandra, 01 June 2005 - 06:19 PM.

#66 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 08:00 PM

I'm not overweight and never have been. ph34r.gif However, I've gained more weight the past year than I ever have at any one time.

I don't care what the scale says, I just want my clothes to fit again! The shorts that fit last year are way too tight now. I have this lovely black dress I bought in Paris 5 years ago that I now can't slip over my hips. I'd like to wear it again. The only area I gain weight is my midsection -- darn apple shaped body.

I've never been a binge or emotional eater. I love the taste of food! Chocolate and candy are the only foods I get addicted to (mostly candy chocolate). My downfall is sugar. I started gaining weight in college because of it. Now I added a few extra pounds. I drink no more than 1 coke per day if that much (2 max).

Exercise hasn't help me. I've gone to the gym over a year now. I weigh more than I did last year. Stopped weight lifting because I was getting big in all the wrong areas. Although, I only lifted 10-30 lbs. I though crunches would help my stomach. Wrong! It made it thicker -- I look pregnant and I'm not. Now I use tredmill, bicycle, and elliptical machines exclusively.

#67 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 09:08 PM

I am a pear for sure!

I have been slacking the last couple of weeks due to a sinus infection. sad.gif

Back on track tomorrow (I hope)sniffle, sniffle.... achew!

#68 Queenie

Queenie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 07:58 AM

Well Lisa! You don't look like a pear to me
It sure is hard to diet though. I lost two pounds last week then turned around
and took my brother out to eat at Ryan Buffet for the Memorial Day weekend. What was I thinking? ohmy.gif My brother Greg told me he had lost 10 pounds before I took him to Ryan's, Oh Well! Hopefully he will forgive me.
huh.gif

#69 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 06:09 PM

Warning, warning!!

Last night I read an article in a health mag that stated (with evidence) that the chemicals/additives used in sweeteners and diet 'fizzy' drinks (I think you guys call it 'pop' etc. eg. Diet Coke and the like) have adverse affects when brought to 30degC. And as we all know, the human body operates at around 37degC. ohmy.gif

The problems associated with it are neuron-related, it seems. eg. Parkinsons, and other serious ailments with 'unknown causes' including the promotion of mental illness of all sorts of types. sad.gif I'll have to grab the article again to elaborate.

It mentions a particular substance it has in it that causes malfunction within the human body . . . . can't remember the name of it - but in short, stay off the sweeteners. If you need to sweeten up your hot drinks, Honey is a better substitute for sugar as it is a natural source and is largely non-fattening and provides energy as well. smile.gif

And stay off the fizzy and 'diet' drinks. Anything synthetic that takes the place of 'taste' is not good for your body and obviously has other 'ingredients' (chemicals) in it that have an adverse affect in your body. sad.gif

We all need to take care of the inside of the body MORE than just being concerned about the outside. wink.gif

Stick to natural foods and drinks wherever possible and you can't go wrong. biggrin.gif

I will re-read the article again and post more information as I was alarmed by the findings and remembered that quite a few people posted here earlier saying that they used sweetners and diet drinks etc. ph34r.gif

Edited by Sandra, 07 June 2005 - 06:09 PM.

#70 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 07:09 PM

Sandra, that's scary stuff. To me, using real sugar sparingly is more healthy than any sweetener.

I discovered something scary about margarine. My dad uses a special one because of his high cholesterol. Other than that one (forgot the name), I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. Here's my story...

A few years ago I wanted to add butter to my popcorn. Didn't have any, so I substituted margarine. I melted it on the stove top at low temperatures. Ah, man! It smelled like chemicals! There wasn't even a hint of the original smell. I felt sick to my stomach and threw it out. From then on, I never used margarine again.

Also, the only oil I cook with is extra virgin olive oil. Its scary to think about what type of oil restaurants use. Not only that, they reuse it as many times as possible. Then, they sell the remnants to cosmetic companies! We may be putting left over restaurant grease on our face right now. unsure.gif ohmy.gif mad.gif The restaurant chain my dad did maintenance for told him this. ph34r.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users