69 replies to this topic

#46 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 07:55 AM

You are so right about the sugar!!!

I had no idea it was in every thing prepackaged until I started this adventure and begain reading labels.

I thought because I was doing low fat and drinking diet coke I was OK. blink.gif

But to get the low fat products to taste good they add sugar. huh.gif

Sugar makes you want to eat more sugar. mad.gif

Ann

#47 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 09:45 AM

Today Oprah is going to have weight loss tips and secrets!

#48 Aussie Girl

Aussie Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 11:40 PM

It's really interesting to see what everyone suggests and of course the best diet is the one that works for you. Mine is the Australian Heart Foundation diet which was devised by the Heart Foundation for people who had to loose weight quickly for by-pass operations. It is a 7 day diet and you can loose up to 7 kilos in the week. It really is a great 'kick-start' diet and I find I loose 5-6 kilos (a kilo is approx. 2.5 lbs) in the week, then I go back to eating normally but carefully for a week which puts back on 2 kilos, then the 7 day diet again. In a month I find I can loose 6-7 kilos & by eating carefully & encouraged by this great loss, continue to keep it off.

The basis of the diet is a tomato-based vegetable soup - which you can eat as much as you like when ever you want. Day 1, eat only fruit (not bananas) & the soup. Day 2, eat only vegetables & the soup. Day 3, fruit & vegetables & the soup
Day 4, bananas - at least 3 & Skim milk - I make up smoothies & soup. Day 5, Steak & tomatoes & the soup, Day 6 Steak & vegetables - particularly green leafy vegs. & of course the soup. Day 7 Brown rice, vegetables & unsweetened fruit juices & the soup.

You can drink tea, coffee & unsweetened fruit juices & lots of water but NO bread, alcohol, carbonated soft drinks or fried foods or oils.

If you cheat a little (i.e. a glass of wine every night) just don't expect to loose as much.

Karen smile.gif

#49 peanutbutter

peanutbutter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 01:11 AM

Hi everyone,

I just could not get the extra pounds off myself so I started Lindora, so far so good lost 12 pounds. This is a low carb diet but I am having a problem getting enough exercise. Right now I don't touch sugar or bread. It is really getting harder the older I get my old diets when I was in my 20's and 30's just don't work anymore.

I read the book "Why French Women are slim" or How French Women Stay Slim" can't remember the title right now. Have to say I liked the book and it made sense, I did drop a couple of pounds following the books advise. But then I got lazy slowed down on my water and exercise " POOF" the weight came back on. Ok, it was not poof it was a pound here and there I said I would take off the next day and the next until I had gained 10 pounds, then I stopped!

I am really going to try to eat right and double up on my exercise.

Mary

#50 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 09:48 AM

Thanks for sharing everyone! It looks like the no sugar no flour is the way to go or at least cut it way down. I going to have to accept that. I do have one more question- do you still watch calories and fat?

#51 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 11:03 AM

This should help with your question.

http://atkins.com/howto/

I can only speak for me but it has worked for me but I had alot to lose.

South Beach might be better for you ( since you only need to lose 1 pound at most) it is not as strict.

Sure there must be a web site for it.
Ann

#52 Queenie

Queenie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 01:58 PM

Hi Everyone!
Jerry and I just came back from a trip to the Amish country here in Ohio.
I was reading the new post from Ann and Ken and wanted to add there is a South Beach website, I found it last week but they wanted you to join with $$, of course.
So I didn't join just read some of the comments.
Thanks Ann and Ken for the Adkins website, I added it to my favorites list.
I am just beaming I have to tell someone! The antique store in the Amish country where I purchased a Volupte powder compact which is featured in my "Humble Beginnings" is were I found a beautiful Italian portrait lipstick case today.
biggrin.gif

#53 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 02:44 PM

That web site is a good getting started site but DON"T buy the products!!!!
We call them Frankenfoods. biggrin.gif
Eat the freash whole foods.

Another site which is a support site and the best around for questions and answers from folks doing this--- http://www.atkinsdie...wforum.php?f=10

Great on finding a good lipstick..
I collect theWeisner lipsticks and they are getting hard to find.

Ann

#54 Queenie

Queenie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 03:03 PM

Ann and Ken thanks on the second website address,
I added it to my favorites list too.
I'll look at them both later as Jerry and I haven't had dinner yet.
I will keep my eyes peeled for those Weisner lipstick cases,
never know what you might find.
biggrin.gif

#55 2cute4u2

2cute4u2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 03:42 PM

I think that counting calories is very important. 3,500 unused calories = 1 pound of weight gain. So if a person eats 2500 calories a day and only burns 1,000 there is a 1500 carry over. So, the next day the caloric totals are 4,000 ( gotta add the ones we didnt burn) and if 1,000 are burned...now we have a carry over of 3,000 calories....So the 3rd day we eat 2500 calories burn 1000 and now have 4,500 unburned calories...see that's how easy it is to put on 2-3 lbs a week. blink.gif

And believe me...it's real easy to eat 3, 500 calories in a day....or even in a meal at like Mc Donald's.

Of course, certain types of calories are metabolized by the body more efficiently and faster...but the bottom line is input/output. Exercise is a key because it helps burn calories. Food intake is a key because of the total calories...I have noticed that foods that are labelled "lowfat" are high in sugar. And....the calories, in many instances, are more than regular versions of the product...or not significantly less. And yes, sugars and fatty foods have the most calories. sad.gif
That's why I have a tough time with the fad diets like Atkins, etc. I know that these diets manipulate metabolism, calories and exercise (take note...they all mention exercise), However, the more restrictive a diet, the faster it has to work because the norm is not that diet...in fact...people get very sick and body organs can be damaged if fad diets are prolonged.
However, cutting out sugars and fats is OK. I have read that we get enough fat to metabolize fat soluble vitamins so staying away from fatty foods is a good thing.
Bottom line is weight loss (dieting) is temporary but keeping the weight off takes a change in life style. That's why "diets" only work for a awhile because many people go back to their old ways after losing the weight...not realizing that it comes back...(again calories that aren't burned).
And the age factor and genes....those things are paramount when it comes to weight loss and gain.
I do best when I count calories....one would be amazed how many calories are in little things.... blink.gif I will admit that I have a tough time giving up sweets...have done real well with the fatty foods, though. biggrin.gif
I guess for me...fighting weight gain has always been a way of life since my teens and now that I am in my late forties (yikes..did I just admit my age!) it is very hard to lose weight.
I guess each person has to find what works for him/her and just have at it.

OK...thats my 50 cents worth. laugh.gif

#56 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 02:26 PM

Make sense. If anything this topic has sure opened my eyes to just how much sugar is in everything! It is really amazing, things I thought good for me (like my yogurt smoothies) are loaded with it.

While I don't think I can stick to a no flour no sugar diet (the no sugar being easy, it's the flour part) I am now more aware and have already cut down. Went out for dinner last night and I skipped the bread and butter, wine and also potato. I had wood grilled scallops and shrimp with broccoli.

I am also kicking up my exercise to at least 20 minues of cardio and weights every other day, going to shoot for 5X a week.

Now I have to get Jack off of fast food! ohmy.gif

#57 Queenie

Queenie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 03:59 PM

Lisa, your dinner menu last night sounded right on the money.
You are smart to watch your weight at an earlier age than I did.

I believe when we start out thin we never think we will become
overweight someday, I know it never enter my mind.
Now that I am 100 lbs. overweight, I wonder what was I thinking.
unsure.gif

#58 pinkmoiree

pinkmoiree

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 04:35 AM

2cute4u2 - your contribution is more worth than 50 cents! I can fully support it. Calories watching and exercise is a must. And keep the basal metabolic rate swinging! smile.gif

Martha - I was even thinking of digging out my good old Hula Hoop. What would your trainer consider of that? Would it be any good to hip and waist? laugh.gif

Madeleine

#59 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 08:38 AM

After many years of binge and overeating, in 2001 I had a gastric bypass and lost 125 pounds. It was the best thing I ever did for myself. My sister had one, too.
I only drink iced tea and water. I eat in moderation instead of depriving myself. I wish I could say I was religious about exercise, but that's where I fall short!
Ar

#60 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 09:12 AM

Madeleine,

Pull that hoola hoop out of storage now! biggrin.gif It's a great way to exercise and have fun at the same time.

user posted image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users