69 replies to this topic

#31 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 10:05 AM

Good recipies Martha.

I actually just got Jack drinking diet, he was a heavy Coke drinker. Also I stopped putting sugar in his coffee. After a few weeks he thinks Coke and coffee with sugar are too sweet!

The only thing I drink- (I'm back on coffee one cup in the morning) is unsweetened brewed iced tea. Nancy do you consider me a -tea Ginny? maybe an American one. biggrin.gif Anyway, I am addicted to my iced tea. The other thing I drink is water and lots of it especially with lemon. I love hot water and lemon too!

#32 Queenie

Queenie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 10:33 AM

Thanks Martha C. for the inspiring recipes, they sound delicious and quick to fix.
also, thanks for the encouraging words, I belonged to a weight loss group before but I am trying it alone this time.
wink.gif
Lisa and Jack here's wishing you stay your same weight now till you both are in your 50's or 60's. It make it so much easier health wise.
Keep Jack off the Coke! smile.gif

#33 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 10:39 AM

I am trying it alone this time.

Pam,

You're not alone, we are all here for you!

It only takes 20 minutes of moving around everyday, walking, swimming, running whatever. Start slow and work your way up. You will feel so good about yourself.

Going to do my 20 minutes now. wink.gif

#34 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 02:10 PM

Another great topic.
Congratulations Ann & Ken. That's a remarkable achievement. biggrin.gif
I'm a former Diet Coke addict.
I lost 15 lbs. on a modified South Beach Diet. I gave up caffeine, which I thought would be hard, but it wasn't. I drink alot of hot tea. Water and Crystal light.
I gave up sugar and white flour. Which I thought would be HARD. Seems like my diet before was all sugar and grease. LOL! I did all of this 2yrs ago. I've kept the weight off. biggrin.gif
I love the baby bell cheese, I buy the big sack at Costco. The key for me is to use fresh herbs, basil, dill, cilantro. I press fresh garlic on everything and I found fresh ginger in a tube paste. I put that on everything. I like to make chicken tenders with grilled peppers and fresh spinach with garlic and ginger. It's delicious. I love grilled vegies.
For breakfast I have a bowl of oatmeal with blueberries and raspberries or an omlet. (sp?)
Congrats to you Martha C. You'll be the Belle of the Class Reunion.
I love all the recipes they sound yummie keep them coming.
KK biggrin.gif

#35 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 02:13 PM

Oh, I almost forgot the worst part. I walk 40 mins. each day or ride my bike. ph34r.gif blink.gif That is good for me. That's what I tell myself. LOL!
KK laugh.gif

#36 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 04:26 PM

Here's one which is good for the diet!

Skin some chicken breasts. Make some cuts in the flesh, squeeze lemon over, salt lightly.......also the juice from pressed ginger and garlic.

Then:
Lemon (squeeze out the juice)
Yoghurt (fat free)
Ginger (press until squidgy)
Garlic (press until squidgy)
Red paste for Tandoori.......Not sure if you can find this in the States

Mix the above in a bowl............dip the chicken in, turning over so each side is well covered.......leave in the mixture all night (refrigerate).Next evening, take the chicken (shake off excess) place on silver foil. Grill until cooked both sides (do not overcook)..

Eat with plain boiled rice and salad.........

wink.gifKK, does cycling help to lose weight? I bicycle when I stay with friends, but it doesn't seem to help! Even walking here and up and down the escalators for the underground.....still nothing! ??

Edited by Jacqueline, 11 May 2005 - 04:08 AM.

#37 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 09:47 PM

I lost 15 lbs. on a modified South Beach Diet.

KK,

Great job to you too! I am looking into giving the South Beach diet a try. First I have to eat so much pasta I never want to eat it again! laugh.gif

My question to you is after 2 years do you still avoid ALL SUGAR AND BREAD? Or is a little OK every now and then?

#38 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 11:03 AM

Hi Lisa,
On my NYC trip I had Afternoon Tea 4 times! I really didn't know what it would do. The caffeine and sugar from the goodies and the bread. It really didn't do anything. I gained 2lbs on the trip and they were gone in about 3 days after I got home. Now, once my neighbor brought us caramel cake, I ate some of it to be nice, big mistake! The next day it made me weak and hungry. That's one thing about no sugar, caffeine or bread I don't get hungry where I just have too eat.
I thought I would miss the pasta and bread but I don't. I don't have cravings or get real hungry. It's nice. Something to drink always fills me up.
If you drink Arizona ice tea be careful. The ph will eat your teeth. Bad for you good for your dentist.
I think a few goodies now and then are ok for me.
I did the South Beach diet over the internet. I got recipes and meal plans daily. It was good for me because I could pick and choose what I like.
KK biggrin.gif

#39 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 05:04 PM

Thanks for letting me know KK.

Ann and Martha are your diets any of the ones out there- South Beach, the zone or Atkins?

#40 favoritegram

favoritegram

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 05:38 PM

Lisa, if you like to try new things I personally think Fois Gras (sp) is to die for but so rich. It can be prepared in a myriad of ways all of which are wonderful.
Ann & Ken, good job, I sure wish I could motivate my Husband, I think his blood pressure and the c word I cannot spell, LOL would drop. Lainey

#41 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 05:44 PM

I have been doing Atkins for 9 months now and very pleased with my food choices , weight loss and all my blood work is now perfect!!!

The first two weeks are limited but after that you add in more veggies and fruits.

The main thing is getting off sugar and flour. And it is difficult for some. But after the 2 weeks you don't even miss them.
The thing about never having them again is up to you. If you can one day have sugar and the next go back to no sugar maybe you can do it.
But for the Morbidly Obese( which I was at 250) it is not a good idea. I didn't get fat eating healthy and was what we call a CARB ADDICT, so having sugar would more than likely send me back into overeating. Just like an achoholic can't have just one drink. At this point I am not willing to take the chance.

Atkins is much more than a "diet" . You learn portions , good carbs vs. bad carbs , excircise, and much more.
But if you do Atkins or South Beach you need to read and do them right. The people that fail and say they don't work have not done them right. Which means NO CHEATING.

Ken has also done well and we are now eating better than we ever have !!!!
He loves it and we are having the time of our lives learning new recipes

We plan on eating healthy and yummy the rest of our lives. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

P.S. Ken's blood work is now perfect also.
Ann

#42 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 06:36 PM

Hi Ann,
I agree with you. It took me 2 yrs to try sugar again it's like a snake in a basket for me. Only for Afternoon Tea at the Ritz, St. Regis and The Pierre would I dare do sugar. I'm a splenda gal all the way.
One of my favorite goodies are the nuts. They really satisfy me. I'm so proud of you and Ken. Set the timer on the camera and take some glamour shots.

Hi Jacky,
The best part about riding the bike is it's easier and faster than walking and it really firms up my legs and arms. I need to get a helmet everyone is on my back to get one. So I'm checking them out on the net. I ride 40 to 45 mins. I really prefer the bike to walking.
KK biggrin.gif

#43 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 07:25 PM

I'm not following any particular diet, just watching what I eat and exercising. I've lived long enough now to know what foods put weight on me and these are hot breads with butter, pasta, ice cream, fast foods of any kind, and sugar. Alcohol is off limits, too. When you reach a certain age, your body's metabolism changes dramatically and you start to gain weight without realizing it until your clothes no longer fit, so exercise it very important. As Ann said, you gotta keep moving. biggrin.gif Also, at my last check up, my cholesterol level was elevated, not high, just elevated, so it's a health issue too. Plus, I took that BMI test (is that what it's called?) and the results said "over weight!" mad.gif ... like I couldn't tell by looking in the mirror.

Anyway, good luck to all. Thanks for starting this thread, Lisa, it's good to talk about it.

#44 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 12:19 AM

I notice when I went through the menopause I put on weight for the first time. It was horrifying! blink.gif ohmy.gif The medicine the doc gave me for menopause made me eat like a hungry man. So I stopped taking the medicine. I would rather have a few hot flashes than eat everything in sight. tongue.gif unsure.gif huh.gif
Does anyone else think the menopause put weight on?
Poor Jack he'll stay away from this subject. sad.gif
KK

#45 SINNETT

SINNETT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 02:19 AM

[COLOR=blue]

Ann, you really hit on the real problem with sugar, it is addictive!! sad.gif

A couple of years ago there was a documentary in UK with one of the TV chefs wh+o - sorry, cat on keyboard!!! i'll try again - TV chefs who was overweight. They took him to Edinburgh University and took apart all his eating habits to try and find his difficulties - of course it was sugar.

The second part of the documentary was frightening, they started to take apart the food industry and how things were prepared etc and I couldn't believe the foods which had added sugar - almost all.

Then they went on to investigate the sugar industry and they decided that all this was done knowingly because they were aware of the addictive nature of sugar. In fact the sugar industry is more powerful than the tobbacco industry and have "resisted" successive government attempts to either label correctly or reduce the sugar content in foods.

So when children have a "treat" birthday at McDonalds, all they are getting is on the addiction ladder.

Knowing this really put Paul and I off prepared foods and we really have felt much better since we used fresh ingredients and got back to good old fashioned cooking.

Hope this may help in understanding more about the difficulties of trying to diet - best of luck everyone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users