• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#16 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 07:13 PM

The sweetner in diet coke and other products Asparteme ( Equal in the blue packages) can cause you to stall in your weight loss plus other health problems.

I had been really sick for the last year and after doing research on Asparteme I cut out all products contain it and have been very well since. Well enough to start doing the low carb thing and now Ken and I are in better shape and healthier than we have ever been.

I was a 2-3 six pack a day Diet coke addict.

I have been clean for 9 months now and will never go back. biggrin.gif

Asparteme may not bother some but if you have any health problems give up the Asparteme and see what happens.

Coke is now making diet coke with Splenda and I had a sample taste this week and it was nasty . biggrin.gif

I never lost weight or felt good while I drank diet coke or did low fat.

There is alot of research on the subject that could explain it better than me so check it out. biggrin.gif

Ann

#17 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 07:25 PM

Yes we call it the Sugar Wars here.

Each company calls the other bad names.

I would not believe much of anything coming out of these wars between companies if I had not done my own research and have tested it myself.

It could also be the amount used .

I only use 3 tsp. if that a day of Splenda whereas I was using in diet coke ( if my math is right) 36 tsp. Plus in everthing else.

Everyone has to choose for themselves what works for them.

I belong to another board( 1900 members) that only deals with low carb diet and most reports weight loss stall if they use Asparteme .

#18 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 07:36 PM

IN MY PART OF ENGLAND WE HAVE HAD A CAMPAIGN TO GET EVERYONE TO WALK 10,000 STEPS A DAY. A FAMOUS BRAND OF CRISPS GAVE OUT WALK-O-METERS FOR FREE, YOU CLIP THEM ONTO YOUR WAIST BAND AND THEY CLOCK UP THE STEPS YOU TAKE. I KNOW THAT HERE IN ENGLAND WE TEND TO WALK MORE THAN YOU DO IN THE U.S. BECAUSE OUR COUNTRY IS SMALLER AND OUR PUBLIC TRANSPORT BETTER, SO WHEN WE CAN WE LEAVE THE CAR AT HOME AND WALK. WHEN I WAS IN VEGAS LAST YEAR I WAS SHOCKED AT THE AMOUNT OF OVERWEIGHT PEOPLE THERE WERE, SOME WERE SO BAD THEY HAD TO SIT ON TWO CHAIRS AND YET THEY WERE STILL EATING VERY LARGE PLATES OF FAST FOOD.

MARGARET..... smile.gif

#19 Guest_Vanessa_*

Guest_Vanessa_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2005 - 08:00 PM

Hi. I am new here and just wanted to ask a question about splenda. We tried it but the box says to use the same amount of splenda as if you were using regular sugar. It was really bad, very sweet. Too much sweet! Is there a special amount you shuold use, not what's on the box?

I do not understand about it being easy to lose a lot of weight but no a little.

This is a nice site. Thank you.

#20 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 08:07 PM

Hi Vanessa,

Welcome to the site.

Sorry but I cannot answer your sugar question. May I ask where you are from?

#21 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 08:32 PM

If you have the loose powder in a bag it is measured same as regular sugar but it is way to sweet !!! So I use only very little.

If a recipe calls for a cup I use 1/4 of a cup. The loose powder has filler in it to measure like real sugar so it is different than the little packages that has no filler.

The small packets don't seem as sweet either maybe because use don't use as much.

You have to experiment to your taste.

A overweight person has alot of water weight that is lost on any diet plan first so you can have a drop of 20-30 pounds in a month of water plus fat.
My first 50 pounds came off like clock work then slowed as the fat cells had shed all it's water. The next 50 were slow and now the last 20 is giving me fits. mad.gif

Plus as you get in better shape muscle weighs more that fat so you have a slow down.

Everyone loses different, but most report the higher the weight the easier at first.

#22 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 08:52 PM

Hi Vanessa and welcome to the site, smile.gif

Now you have made your first post join us all again and tell us about yourself ( if you want ) you will find us all very helpfull.

Margaret....... smile.gif

#23 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 10:19 PM

OK, here's my tip to staying trim . . . .

The Aussie diet is meat and three veg. (preferably different coloured ones!)
Try not to eat potatoes and red meat together. Make sure you eat your veges before your meat.

If possible, eat white meat (chicken and fish) instead of red meat (though that's not the 'real' Aussie outback person thing to do, but it IS acceptable in my part of Australia! laugh.gif Good fish diet here! Eat it steamed rather than fried).

Stay away from fast food and fried foods. sad.gif

Stay active with your doggie and then you can afford to eat one chocolate a day! laugh.gif

#24 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 10:21 PM

Oh . . . forgot to add, on the drinks front - drink water or fresh juice rather than alcohol or soft drink /fizzy drinks ('pop' I think the yanks call it). wink.gif

#25 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 11:20 PM

Anyone see the documentry SUPER SIZE ME? Now that was some scary stuff. The film was a documentry about obesity in the US and the fast food industry. In the film a man ate at McDonalds for one month straight. He had three rules:
1. he could only eat what was offered on the menu of McDonalds
2. he had to "supersize" everytime it was offered to him
3. he had to eat every menu item at least once.

This carried on for breakfast lunch and dinner. Can't remember how much weight the guy gained but his doctors were afraid his liver would shut down before the month was up.

Some thing really scary that I learned was that McDonalds has only seven items on their menu that don't have sugar.

#26 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 11:52 PM

Yeah - saw that one - it told us things that we've denied for years. However, the scary thing for me was the supersize meals and the fact that car manufacturers had to change the size of their cup holders for the Macdonalds cups to fit!! ph34r.gif

And also that the small size we have over here doesn't exist over there!! blink.gif

Personally, I gave Macdonalds eating away about 3 Christmases ago and haven't had a Mac attack since!

I feel SO good about it, but now I don't get to collect the little toys anymore! laugh.gif

Edited by Sandra, 09 May 2005 - 11:57 PM.

#27 SINNETT

SINNETT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 03:10 AM

[COLOR=blue]

This is such an amazing topic, Ann and Ken your success sounds like one of those stories from Oprah Winfrey - good luck to you. smile.gif

Joking aside, living here has been exceptionally good for us, we no longer exist on fast food and take away so our diet is much better.

I start the morning with coffee and two pieces of fruit - easy to eat, Paul has coffee and a handful of Jaffa Cakes (he needs the extra energy!!).

Lunch is generally some salad leaves with homemade dressing (neighbours taught me how), tabouleh/cous cous, perhaps a hard boiled egg or some cheese or some slices of cured sausage. Paul will generally have a few slices of french bread to bulk it out. Then we will have some more fruit.

Dinner is whatever meat we have, cooked on the barbecue, again with salad or maybe a baked potato. Dessert is generally some cheese with a little bread.

What we have found is that we never snack between meals, we really enjoy our food, and we take our time - something we never did before. Our work is manual, building the new house, restoring the old one and trying to get a garden going - so that is making a great difference too. Excercise is pleasant here, a walk through the countryside in the quiet of the evening or a swim in our neighbours pool. We are hoping to have our own pool by next summer and it will be big enough to have a proper swim.

Like so many of you I have tried to diet for a good proportion of my life and I am hoping that this change to our way of life will truly be the answer for me.

Best of luck to everyone - oh and Lisa, Venison is very good for you, exceptionally lean so give it a try.

#28 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 07:46 AM

WE HAVE THE THIRD LARGEST ASDA IN ENGLAND ON THE EDGE IF OUR VILLAGE
WONDERFUL SHOPPING EXPERIENCE AND A NICE RESTAURANT ATTACHED TO IT, PEOPLE USED TO MEET THERE TO HAVE COFFEE AND LUNCH AND IT WAS ALWAYS BUSY. WHEN WALLMART TOOK ASDA OVER THEY MADE THE RESTAURANT INTO A MACDONALDS mad.gif THE BACKLASH OVER THIS DECISION WAS HUGE, PEOPLE GOT UP A PARTITION, ASDA/WALLMART TOOK NO NOTICE.......THE OUT COME NOW IS ONE EMPTY MACDONALDS AND THE LOSS OF A GOOD LITTLE RESTAURANT.

ABOUT TWO YEARS AGO I BOUGHT A PACKET OF CHICKEN BREASTS IN BREADCRUMBS THINKING I COULD COOK THEM IN THE OVEN AND SERVE THEM WITH POTATOES AND SALAD, A GOOD HEALTHY MEAL YOU MIGHT THINK!!!!!!!!
I JUST HAPPENED TO LOOK ON THE PACKET AND THE WORDS RECONSTITUTED CHICKEN JUMPED OUT AT ME. ohmy.gif THE PACKET WILL TELL YOU THAT THIS IS MEAT OR CHICKEN CHOPPED AND RESHAPED, THIS IS A LIE ON THE PART OF THE MAKERS. WHAT THEY DO IS...... SCRAPE ALL THE LEFTOVER MEAT OR CKICKEN OFF THE BONES AND MIX IT WITH STARCH AND WATER TO BULK IT OUT SO IT MAKES A PASTE AND THEN RESHAPE IT, YOU COULD BE EATING ANYTHING INCLUDING THE PARTS YOU WOULD NOT WANT TO SO MAKE SURE THAT WHEN YOU BUY MEAT OR CHICKEN IT IS A PROPER CUT....THE FOOD INDUSTRY IS A DISGRACE AND GETS AWAY WITH MURDER !!!!!!!!!!

MY OWN SON IS NOW A DIABETIC. HE'S A BIG MAN 6ft 5ins AND AT ONE TIME HE WAS ABOUT 20stone. HE CARRIED THE WEIGHT WELL BUT HE ALSO HAD A JOB THAT MADE HIM TRAVEL A LOT. HE USED ALL THE FAST FOOD OUTLETS AND DRANK LOADS OF COKE. THE DOCTORS TOLD HIM THAT THIS IS WHAT CAUSED HIM TO BECOME DIABETIC. IT IS NOW REPORTED THAT ONE IN FOUR PEOPLE IN BRITIAN ARE DIABETIC AND DONT KNOW IT.

FAST FOOD HAS A PLACE IN OUR LIVES BUT MANY PEOPLE HAVE BECOME LAZY ABOUT COOKING. THE MEAT AND THREE VEG TYPE MEAL IS ALWAYS THE BEST, AND CAROLINE,........I WOULD LIKE SOME OF THAT VENISON, DO YOU GET WILD BOAR AS WELL.

WELL AFTER SAYING ALL THAT......ITS CHIPS TONIGHT laugh.gif WE HAVE THEM ONCE A WEEK AND I MAKE A MEAN CHIP, CUT THICK, CRISPY ON THE OUTSIDE AND FLUFFY IN THE MIDDLE.......SANDRA!!!!! STOP DROOLING laugh.gif

MY REGARDS TO YOU ALL........MARGARET smile.gif

#29 Queenie

Queenie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 08:27 AM

Well here goes my take on dieting! ohmy.gif
Eat moderately, normal portions, the size of your palm per serving,
drink plenty of water and get on the "Airdyne" once a day for 15 to 20 minutes.
Now ask me if I do that, NO! My husband is 6' 186 lbs. and he expects me to eat out with him. We don't eat McDonald's, but all restaurant have alot of grease in their food. Just ask Jerry he services the commerical equipment at some of these restaurants.
Jerry had a heart attack over a year and half ago and we found out that the
"Buffalo" meat is the leanest meat to eat, 99% lean and we have a Buffalo farm nearby where we can purchase burger, steaks, or roasts ready-to-cook for approximately $5.00 per pound.
It is so much better if you can cook your own meals, but I find running your own business you have more of a tendency to eat out more, it is much more easier and quicker after a long day at the office.
Oh! I forgot to mention my weight over 220 and despereately trying to lose 100lbs.
like another solid perfume member. I started on diet pills Monday and I am hoping to lose anything by this time next week. Wish me luck!

#30 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 08:51 AM

Pam, here's wishing you good luck, too! Let's all encourage one another. biggrin.gif

Here are a couple of my favorite recipes, which are quick, easy, and delicious:

Modified Taco Salad:

Brown lean ground beef in a skillet
Add a couple of tablespoons of Alegro marinade
Place ground beef over a bed of lettuce
Add diced tomatoes and sliced black olives
Top with Ranch dressing

A Very Berry Salad (and full of anti-oxidants):

Frozen Blackberries
Frozen Raspberries
Strawberries
Bananas

Simply mix together. You donít need to add any type of sweetener because itís naturally very sweet. You can also top off with a dab of Cool Whip.

P.S. I also lay off the diet drinks because of the high sodium content. Actually, if you stopped drinking Diet Coke for a week, you would lose 2 to 3 pounds! laugh.gif

Edited by Martha C, 10 May 2005 - 02:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users