• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 01:10 PM

So with spring weather approaching I thought it may be fun to talk about diets and exercise.

Dieting is hard for me as I wub.gif love to eat and even more cook! I don't have a sweet tooth I have a cheese tooth! laugh.gif My down fall is anything with cheese and the more the better. One of my all time favorite snacks is mini BabyBel (a semi-soft cheese in a red wax coating) I always have them on hand for a quick pick me up.

I also discovered Yoplait Nouriche Breakfast Smoothies. A non-fat yogurt smoothie, don't really go for yogurt smoothies but for a quick breakfast they are really, really good!

As far as exercise I play lots of tennis and really love Pilates.

Is anyone following a diet or exercise plan?

#2 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 01:15 PM

Ken and I have been doing low carb for the last few months.
Ken has lost 40 pounds and I have lost 100.

We walk 5-6 miles a day.

At 60 years of age this has been very good for us. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Lisa-- cheese is a big part of our diet now. biggrin.gif

Anyone want details PM us. biggrin.gif
Ann

#3 SINNETT

SINNETT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 01:56 PM

Well all I have to say is that living in France, the low carb is probably the only one to follow.

Cheese - well I can't tell you how awful it is here, we try different cheeses every week but sometimes forget what they are called!!! blink.gif

At the moment for a hard cheese we favour COMTE, matured 12 months - mmmm yum wink.gif And for a soft cheese it's SAINT FELICIEN - imperative you get it from the fridge at least one hour before eating, then it's almost liquid. biggrin.gif

Our area here is known as the gastronomic capital, this is where FOIE GRAS lives, and we eat DUCK as though it's chicken. We also have excellent quality VENISON and WILD BOAR. smile.gif

Diet - what diet!!!! sad.gif ph34r.gif

#4 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 02:04 PM

WOW Ann & Ken,
Your weight loss is truely amazing! CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU BOTH! (I am having a hard time just losing 5 pounds)

Caroline,

I have never tried Foie Gras, Venison or Wild Boar! I am always willing to try new things. wink.gif

#5 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 02:06 PM

Congratulations Ann and Ken! Thatís a terrific accomplishment.

My class reunion is coming up and my best friend emails me and says ìLetís go!î I email her back and say ìnot unless I lose 20 pounds!î She emails me back to say ìWho cares how much you weigh, weíre all a bunch of grandmothers anyway!î I email her back and say, ìWait a minute, I ainít no grandmother!î ohmy.gif

So I took out a 6 month membership at our fitness center and hired a personal trainer (well, my friendís son who had just graduated from college in fitness training) to get this overweight, out-of-shape body back into shape. I go to the gym 5 nights a week for a 40-minute work out. So far, Iíve lost close to 10 pounds and have taken an inch off my thighs and hips. I can also see a difference in my body tone. Even though Iíll never be Miss Hot Bod (too funny to even imagine laugh.gif ), I do feel better about myself.

Fast foods are absolutely off limits, and what I do eat is grilled on George Foremanís lean mean fat reducing grilling machine. My one big weakness is chocolate. sad.gif

Wish me luck. biggrin.gif

Edited by Martha C, 09 May 2005 - 02:07 PM.

#6 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 02:32 PM

Moving your body is key!!!! Way to go!!
You are right -- stay away from the fast food!!!!!!

I fix a low carb chocolate treat when I need chocolate.

Soften some cream cheese (I do 3 oz.) mix in cocoa powder ( non sweeten) about a tsp. and a package of splenda.
Eat as is or the best way is make little drops on parchment paper and put in freezer. Pop a drop( in mouth) as needed. biggrin.gif
Really takes the edge off needing chocolate. biggrin.gif
Also do a chocolate cheese cake that is wonderful.

Our favorite desset right now is strawberries with whip cream and walnuts.

Whip up some Heavy Whipping Cream , splenda ( chocolate powder if you still need chocolate) and you are good to go.

In the morning I fix a Mock danish.
Cream cheese( 2 oz.) 1 egg- 1 pack of splenda - tsp. ciinnamon. Zap in microwave 3 minutes. Lately we have been adding blueberries or cherries.

Ann

#7 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 02:59 PM

Ann, thanks for much for these great receipes. I feel the withdrawal symptoms easing up already. biggrin.gif

#8 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 03:29 PM

Martha,

Congratulations to you also! The hardest thing for me is to just get started but once I do it's hard to stop. biggrin.gif

So what about pasta, is it all off limits?

#9 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 03:47 PM

ARRIVEDERCI ... sad.gif

#10 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 04:42 PM

No pasta on low carb.

Pizza is good if you don't eat the crust.
I made a pizza last night with hamberger meat, sausage ,peeperoni ,onion, green peppers, and plenty of cheese. biggrin.gif Musrooms would be good but I didn't have any.

No sugar or flour is the rule. And you must drink 64 oz. of water PLUS.

The low carb candy bars, shakes and any of the so call low carb products are frowned on. We call them Frankenfoods. laugh.gif And no diet pop unless it is made with Splenda, but dirnking so much water you soon lose your wanting diet pop.

Meat ,eggs ,cheese,vegetables and some fruit are the basics.

I stayed under 20 carbs a day and all my carbs came from Veggies.

You don't count meat or cheese, eggs have only 1 carb.

Warning --- it is easier to lose a lot of weight than it is to lose 20 pounds.

Ann

#11 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 04:49 PM

ARRIVEDERCI ... sad.gif

Oh my Italian stomach couldn't take not having it! laugh.gif

What about the wheat kind (pasta)? I see it in the supermarket. Must not taste the same.

I could do pizza though- I love anchovies and eat the crust only if it's stuffed with cheese. biggrin.gif

#12 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 05:09 PM

Question---- when you eat pasta do you have anything on it????

If so what you are mostly tasting is what you put on it. Just like the pizza what taste so good are the toppings not the crust.

So eat toppings and leave the pasta and crusts .

The wheat pasta is still flour.

I do a killer meatloaf using crushed pork rinds instead of bread crumbs.

I can dip a cube steak in egg and roll it in parmason cheese and fry it in olive oil.
I can dip a piece of chicken in egg and roll it in BBQ pork rinds and fry and I swear it taste like Popeyes.

I can make cheese crackers by zapping a cube of cheese in micro .

Ther is no end to what you CAN eat if you get rid of sugar.

Ann

Ann

#13 Charlotte

Charlotte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 05:44 PM

Well, very interesting subject, especially in this season just before Summer, when we all want to be slim!!

I'm just trying to start diet next week, just to loose some kilos, not very much, only 3 or 4, and starting next week loosing 1 kilo per month I should arrive to August ready to recover the kilos lost tongue.gif !!,

Yes because when we go on vacation to Val Gardena, even if eating not to much, I take at least 4 kilos because they have too much big portions mad.gif

Lisa, I'll send you some Italian past, tell me only which kind, if "spaghetti" or some others type.
Charlotte

#14 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 05:55 PM

Ann,
Just out of curiosity, why no diet drinks except the ones made with Splenda? huh.gif

#15 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 07:01 PM

Don, I recall an article here in the U.K. about Splenda and the different brands of substitute sugars. It was also suggested, but I haven't the article now to refer to, that this was a ploy to bring this one substitute sugar to the fore! Wish I had the article to hand, but if I find it, I will send it to you!

We have heard nothing in the U.K. that I am aware of, to stop us using other brands of diet sugars. I know that some of my friends in the USA are of the opinion that this is the only diet sugar which is safe to use! They may be right, but I have no idea unless it is written up in The Lancet!

Edited by Jacqueline, 09 May 2005 - 07:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users