• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 03:06 PM

NICE ONE LISA AND A GOOD MATCH, IT'S FUN DOING IT.

I MATCHED MY OYSTER SOLID WITH THE CORAL SHELL POWDER THAT I BOUGHT IN MAY 03...SEE ALL THAT TIME I WAITED FOR A MATCH, BUT I THINK YOUR MATCH IS BETTER.

HAVE YOU GOT THE FANTASY OF LIGHT POWDER IT GOES WELL WITH THE SHIMMERING SPHERE SOLID.

HERE ARE SOME MORE.....

JEWELS TO BOOT SOLID WITH THE TRAVELLER POWDER.
THE LITTLE CHICK SOLID WITH THE CHICK POWDER ( PART OF THE COUNTRY CHIC COLLECTION )
THE BUSTIER SOLID WITH THE PINK PRISMATIC FLOWER POWDER.
HARRODS PALACE SOLID WITH THE UNION JACK POWDER.

I HAVE THE SPIDER POWDER SO I AM WAITING FOR A SPIDER SOLID, PERHAPS IN THE NEXT TEN YEARS..... laugh.gif

SO YOU SEE LISA IT GOES ON AND ON ALWAYS WAITING FOR A MATCH AND COSTS TWICE THE MONEY..... sad.gif

HAPPY MATCHING......MARGARET

#17 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 03:06 PM

That powder would also look good with the Mermaid. Like she was placing one of the pearls or stealing one.

Even better, didn't think of that, it's now a keeper and that's what I was afraid of. laugh.gif

I HAVE THE SPIDER POWDER SO I AM WAITING FOR A SPIDER SOLID, PERHAPS IN THE NEXT TEN YEARS

Yes, would love a spider- would love seasonal solids, like one every year for Halloween, X-Mas, Thanksgiving, Valentines day etc... Only one a year, something special for collectors only. It would be good for us and good for EL as it is more revenue for them and they can make us collectors feel good!

#18 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE(Lisa @ May 5 2005, 10:43 AM)
So Adelaide, Australia is where Jorden Kerr the tennis doubles player is from, he's a cutie and so nice.

It's also where Lleyton is from!! Something good in male tennis is obviously generating from your state, Carolyn!!

And welcome to the site . . . . glad you found it . . . seems like you got all the right answers for your questions! I only collect the ones I like now, MIB. I keep them in a glass cabinet like others on the site and smell the aroma when I open the doors.

We Aussies are a bit low in numbers who post on here, but now thanks to you have another state covered!! - just waiting for some members from Qld, NT and ACT now!!

You learn a lot here as well as have a good laugh too!!
Watch out for scammers on Ebay and the Aust. Govt. Duty Tax when you buy from Harrods or dept. store . . . . oh, and the Harrods postage!! ohmy.gif

#19 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 06:13 PM

Most of my solids are stored in boxes. I display about 10-20% due to space problems. Need to buy more cabinets -- huge + small ones would be nice. I consider my apartment to be temorary until I find the right house, so everything is put on hold around here.

Collecting is so addicting! Thanks to this site I learn about many other neato things.

I collect some EL powder compacts also. I buy the ones I absolutely love the most. Yikes, I have 29 powders now! The fruit theme is my favorite and I have the complete set. I just need to replace 2 empty ones with MIB. However, I'm having severe trouble getting all the fruit solids.

I'm so happy I finally bought the union jack compact. I'd like to get Canada and any other country that has a flag compact. I wonder if Japan had one?

#20 Carolyn

Carolyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 11:06 PM

Goodness, what a fabulous welcome!

Ar, wow, so close - Kangaroo Island is a very popular tourist site, esp with the Japanese. All the native Australian animals in 1 close location.

Lleyton - well, I guess he plays good tennis but I get embarassed by his antics - just dont think he behaves like a good sportsman.

OK, so how do I detect an ebay shark? Is it that the solids are empty?

Addictive - after I saw your beautiful compact Lisa I can imagine why these are popular too!

I only have four solids - but I only started last week! The 25th anniversary MIB laugh.gif , a vintage box (not quite so MIB mad.gif ) and the Unicorn and Pegasis (still waiting for those to arrive but supposed to be MIB smile.gif

And now I must the display case. Oh, and I ordered that book through Amazon, so that should arrive soon.

Going to the Post Office has never been so much fun biggrin.gif

#21 Karin

Karin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 12:32 AM

Lisa, I am looking forward to the pictures of your powder compacts!!! I am more addicted to the powders than the solids. My favourite match so far is the Peacock solid and the Blue Indian Paisley powder, what do you think Margaret?

Karin

#22 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 02:07 AM

HI KARIN

I BET THEY LOOK SUPER TOGETHER, THATS A GOOD MATCH.

I HAVE THE PEACOCK SOLID, IT IS THE ONLY BIRD THAT I HAVE EVER LIKED AND FOR NOW I HAVE TO DISPLAY IT ALONG WITH MY CHINESE BLUE THEME.....BUT NOW YOU HAVE SAID THAT I SHALL BE LOOKING AT THE PAISLEY POWDER......OH DEAR IT GOES ON AND ON.... ohmy.gif

MARGARET

#23 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 04:35 AM

ONE SOLID THAT TOOK ME AGES TO FIND A MATCHING POWDER FOR WAS CINDERELLAS COACH, THIS YEAR I FOUND IT WITH THE ' WITH LOVE POWDER'

IT ALL TAKES TIME

REGARDS....MARGARET...... smile.gif

#24 Gigi

Gigi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 11:33 AM

Hi Carolyn,
I also welcome you to this site. I am sorry I am late as its been a busy time for me. However, like they say, "better late than never". This truly is a wonderful site to belong to with wonderful people on board.

You are doing very well in collecting four solids in just one week. Congratulations! All of us at one point in time only had four solids in our collections. Does anyone here remember their first four solids? That's been awhile back for me, I'd have to look it up before posting and it would be on a newly created topic.

Again welcome Carolyn.

Gigi

#25 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 06:14 PM

Oooh . . . that's a hard one remembering your first four solids!!

I can only rememeber the first two . . . . Sphinx and Rowboat . . . . (bought retail very expensively at David Jones, Sydney)

The rest is now a bit of a blur!! laugh.gif

#26 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 10:28 PM

We don't remember exactly what they are but they were the general distribution solids from about 1980 or 1981. ph34r.gif

Until we found ebay we didn't know that there were anything but the general distribution solids as the only ones we had ever seen were from Dillards in the closest town to us that had a Dillards. (bout 60 miles) ohmy.gif

We say it again, we are in the outback. laugh.gif laugh.gif

You would not believe how anxiously we waited for them each year. smile.gif

p.s. Thank goodness for computers and the internet. They have made our world much bigger. (and poorer, tongue.gif )

Lisa, sorry about getting off the topic. We had posted before we realized.

Don and Margaret

Edited by Don and Margaret, 06 May 2005 - 10:38 PM.

#27 Carolyn

Carolyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 02:52 AM

Oh dear, I just had a look at the powder compacts on ebay! They are gorgeous too! What to do sad.gif

#28 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 03:28 AM

Hi Carolyn, welcome to the site from me too. smile.gif
As you will have gathered, collecting is very addictive and can become quite expensive if EL have a good year where all, or most of, the designs are stunning.
I collected scent bottles and bought my first EL solid on holiday in NYC. I bought Lady Liberty as I thought it was a nice reminder of my trip and tied in with my collection. When I got home I bought the Jack in the Box and the Toy Wagon. Once I bought Roselyn's book I was sunk! blink.gif I looked through it and went, I want that one and that one. oh, and that one....... it went on forever. Then, a friend who collects compacts got me into that as well. I'd be watching out for one for her for her birthday or Christmas and I'd say, oh that's nice, think I'll buy that for me.....that was it!
If I have such an addictive personality why can't I become addicted to excercise so I'd have a great body, or even dieting, to have a great body! blink.gif Why is it easier to becone addicted to spending money and eating???
You will get great information here and get to know all the new designs earlier than some of the EL staff, who sometimes don't know that much about the solids which is a pity.
Anyway, keep checking this site and your knowledge, and your collection will grow.

Edited by Nancy, 07 May 2005 - 03:30 AM.

#29 dante

dante

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 06:17 AM

Hi Carolyn,

Welcome, it's nice to see another collector from "downunder". Sorry I am a bit late with my welcome, my visits to the site have been rare of late. But you will find lots of information here and everyone keen to help

Dante

#30 Aussie Girl

Aussie Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 02:33 AM

A BELATED BUT SINCERE WELCOME CAROLYN - IT'S GREAT TO SEE THE E.L. SOLID COLLECTORS AUSSIE FORCE GROWING. AS EVERYONE HAS SAID YOU WILL LEARN A LOT FROM THIS WONDERFUL SITE. WHEN I STARTED COLLECTING I ONLY KNEW OF DAVID JONES & BOUGHT EVERYTHING FROM THEM WHICH WAS A VERY COSTLY EXPERIENCE - THIS SITE DIDN'T EXIST THEN. NOW I AM MUCH WISER, NOT SO BROKE & GO ABOUT MY COLLECTING A LITTLE DIFFERENTLY! smile.gif biggrin.gif GOOD LUCK & HAPPY COLLECTING

KAREN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users