30 replies to this topic

#1 Carolyn

Carolyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 01:32 AM

Hello all

I am a very very novice to Estee Lauder solids - I have for years loved them but only just now starting to collect.

I have read some posts and have seen the term MIB - could someone help me with what that means please?

Also, do people collect solids in a theme - eg perfumes, or say fruit? animals? etc etc.

And is it best to keep them behind glass? I just love smelling them!

Unfortunately we dont get much to choose from new here in Australia, so have purchased some through ebay to get some range.

Last question (for now) there is no price for the 25th anniversary solid - was this a give away?

Thankyou heaps - love your site

#2 katita

katita

Katita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 02:39 AM

Hello and welcome! MIB means Mint in Box. Some people collect themes, some people collect just the pieces they like, others try to collect all they can! It really depends on what you like and how much $ you have. laugh.gif

If you use Ebay, you might want to check out what people have written about it. Also, there is a "For Sale" section on this site. You may want to see what the members here are selling. I've had only good experiences buying on this site. Good luck with your collection.

Katita

#3 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 02:54 AM

Hello Carolyn, As I am the early bird will reply to one or two of your questions.

The 25th Anniversary Solid was not a giveaway. It cost 81 in the U.K. This solid was released in limited number here but I cannot speak for the United States.

MIB stands for Mint In Box. MIB Both Boxes, includes the outer white box which is a good item to have but the main one is the gold box.

Everyone collects the compacts and solids in their own way. Some in themes, some not. I keep most of mine in display cases, some open.

I am sure other Collectors on the site will have more to write in reply to your post. There are quite a few Collectors in your part of the world. On the left hand side where a member writes where they are from with their name, you will be able to see those in Australia. You could always email them through their private email address and perhaps find that one of them lives next door!

You might be in for a surprise! wink.gif

Hello Katita, we were both writing at the same time.......

#4 Nettie

Nettie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 04:15 AM

A big welcome Carolyn,
Good to see another Aussie on board. I am too ,fairly new to collecting these solids, although, I have admired them for a few years.I have a very small collection. Finding this wonderful sight has opened my eyes to the huge varity of little treasures and also to the world of ebay.!! I must have lived a very sheltered life before Solidperfume.
I like you have found the solids in Australia very limited and very expensive, I can now see what is available overseas and usually prices seem to be more reasonable than we have to pay here ,even with postage.
I display mine in a small cabinet so I can look and smell them as I have them because I love them not really for a dollar value. ( I love opening the door to smell the perfume )
I try to get at least one new release solid and then if a see some older ones on ebay I try to buy them when I can afford them.
Last year my new release was the Harrods English Emblems and this year I am waiting to see what the Harrods Solids will be before I decide which one I like the best.

#5 Carolyn

Carolyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 05:29 AM

Thankyou for your welcome ladies

Nettie, how do you purchase your solids from Harrods? Usually we only get maybe 5 releases each year around November, and they are usually well over $150Aus!

I must invest in a glass cabinet - my birthday is in June so it seems like a good time to me!

Does anyone know if dry heat (our summer in Adelaide) is a problem for the perfumes?

One thing I have established is that I wont collect solids without perfume, because it is the perfume that originally attracted me!

My alltime fav perfume is Spellbound - but gather no solids for this fragrance have been produced? Then white linen, then Youth Dew. The newer perfumes smell awful on me!

#6 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 05:43 AM

Hello Carolyn and a big "welcome"

Delighted to see you have joined us.

I you go to the database above under the yellow tabs you will notice a search by box, pull the tab down to fragrance and then type in Spellbound to the right of that. You will then get all the solids made with Spellbound.

That's how I started collecting- just got 1 Knowing solid every year- now look what happened! laugh.gif

I think dry heat is better than humidity we have here in FL for the solids although don't leave them too long in your mailbox! On hot, hot days here I sometimes sit and wait for the mailman so my solids don't melt!

So Adelaide, Australia is where Jorden Kerr the tennis doubles player is from, he's a cutie and so nice.

#7 Fee

Fee

Fee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 06:16 AM

smile.gif Hello Carolyn,
Welcome to the board!

I have been collecting solids for a few years now and have bought most of mine from overseas. We are lucky to see any solids in Tassie! rolleyes.gif

If you have a look in the "Store Locations" tab there are details for a few stores including Harrods that you can ring or email to order solids. The only thing to watch out for is paying customs duty on them when they arrive in the country. ohmy.gif It's unavoidable with Harrods solids as they mail them by courier unless you know someone who can buy them and mail them to you via normal airmail. Elsewhere it just depends on the $ amount declared on the customs form and the method of postage as to whether your goods are held for ransom! laugh.gif

One thing for sure is that this is the best place to find out everything you want to know about solids and meet lots of great people in the bargain!

I also found Roselyn Gerson's "The Estee Lauder Solid Perfume Compact Collection 1967 - 2001" book a good read! - readily available on eBay cool.gif wink.gif

#8 Queenie

Queenie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 07:42 AM

Welcome Carolyn, rolleyes.gif
I just wanted to add all the information the ladies on this website have given
you is correct and they sure know their solid perfume information, along with other informative subjects.
wink.gif

#9 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 10:50 AM

Carolyn,
Another reason to keep the solids behind glass is to minimize dust.
Ar

P.S. I've been to Adelaide, and loved it. I went to an animal sanctuary and saw platypus (platypi?) swimming in a pond. Then I went to Kangaroo Island for several days. It was spectacular. That's what we need... a kangaroo solid.

#10 mimi

mimi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 11:05 AM

Hi Carolyn and Welcome!!

I live in Texas and am a native of THE LONE STAR STATE!

I display my solids in a "vitrine " a curio cabinet that is glass with antiqued gold framing. It's very protective. When I open the doors the fragrances are so wonderful!

I also group my pieces by theme as do many of our members. I enjoy our members photos to see how everyone displays their beauties! I have decided to keep only a few "groups" in my collection and sell the others.

I love this site and and have gained so much knowlege from our members! We are so glad to have you aboard!

Sincerely,

Mimi smile.gif smile.gif

#11 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 01:55 PM

HI CAROLYN, AND WELCOME FROM ENGLAND. smile.gif

WHEN I JOINED THIS SITE I GAINED SO MUCH, NOT ONLY IN MY KNOWLEGE OF SOLIDS BUT THE FRIENDSHIP OF THE OTHER MEMBERS.

I AM ONE OF THE FEW WHO ALSO COLLECT THE EL POWDER COMPACTS AND EACH YEAR I TRY TO MATCH A POWDER WITH A SOLID, SOME TIMES IT CAN TAKE ME ABOUT THREE YEARS TO MAKE A MATCH. I ALSO TEND TO DISPLAY IN THEMES SHOWING SOLIDS AND POWDER TOGETHER.

WELCOME ONCE AGAIN......MARGARET........

#12 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 02:08 PM

I AM ONE OF THE FEW WHO ALSO COLLECT THE EL POWDER COMPACTS AND EACH YEAR I TRY TO MATCH A POWDER WITH A SOLID

Margaret,

I am also following along with collecting the matching powder compacts, I don't want to do it but it is just happening. I did just get a fantastic powder compact and have no idea when it was produced it is called Oyster Bar and it is fantastic. Anyone know anything about this one?

#13 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 02:21 PM

LISA.....IS IT AN EL ONE

MARGARET

#14 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 02:33 PM

Yes, it's an Estee and I love it maybe because it is so big, it measures about 3 inches across. I was thinking it doesn't match a solid but then I got a call from Micky today that my oyster solid was shipping today (I used my voucher towards it) biggrin.gif So it just hit me that it would be a match made in heaven the oyster bar powder with the opulent oyster solid!

See what happens Carolyn? It spirals out of control- I was never going to collect powders, now I am. tongue.gif
user posted image

#15 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 02:49 PM

Speaking of the Oyster-- The color variation that Lorraine mentioned was explained as they tried to make the Oyster look like mother of pearl with variation of color.
Probably a goof but the story is good. laugh.gif laugh.gif

Mine has a bluish tint. Let us know what you get.

That powder would also look good with the Mermaid. Like she was placing one of the pearls or stealing one.

Ann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users