• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Maisonduguet

Maisonduguet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 04:42 PM

Hello, I am newish to the site, this is the first time I have posted anything. I need some advice about keeping the solids complete with the perfume. I have been collecting solids for some time, my partner works for EL. The perfume in my older solids is discolouring and in one case seems to be affecting the metal of the solid itself, how can you keep the perfume from ruining the casing over a long period?

#2 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 04:58 PM

Well "hello" and welcome to the site!

A very good question- other than removing the perfume solid itself I don't know of anything to really do to prevent this.

Something I do is if a solid is really discoloring- turning black or green, I take a pin and run it around the edge of the solid where the metal and perfume touch this gets the funky stuff off the edge. I then clean up any black residue on the rest of the solid with the Q-tip.

#3 Maisonduguet

Maisonduguet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 05:02 PM

Thanks for the advice, I'll have to keep an eye on the perfume in my solids to check for deterioration.

#4 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 05:09 PM

I have noticed that the older or vintage solids hold up rather well. The perfume just kind of shrinks and pulls away from the sides. Youth Dew, Estee, Private collection do well.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the formula of the solid like the amount of "filler" used verses the perfume oil?

#5 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 08:14 PM

Yep - I too clean up the edges where the perfume has not 'shrunk', but spilled over onto the solid and discoloured the metal as well.

I don't know what causes this, but it seems to only be in certain solids. sad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users