241 replies to this topic

#91 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 11:05 PM

Phyllis,

Good observation! I have yet to get my hands on the Good Fortune necklace, I have both the Full Moon necklace and the Good Fortune necklace issued in 1972 in our database?

#92 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 03:18 PM

Did you ever notice that the Imperial Solid Perfume or Foo Dog solid perfume compact also has the look of a lion?
user posted image

Here is some interesting information on this Dog of Foo:

This animal is the habitual defender of Buddhist altars and temples, hence its name, the Dog of Buddha or the Dog of FO. Its appearance is almost always menacing with its sharp, powerful teeth and claws. In reality it is a sort of lion transformed. It has a bushy, often a bristling, mane and a tufted tail. He is one of four animals representing power and energy. The others are the elephant, leopard, and tiger.

#93 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 06:20 PM

Actually, yes Lisa - I can say that I have always thought this guy looked like a Lion!! There are two at the entry into Chinatown, Sydney and they look just like him. I've always thought they were Lions.

And Nettie - yes, I think it is legal to have look-a-likes in different makers of solids- I think the rule is all you have to change is 10% of it, or simply a colour or something too simple like that. It's a shame, but if you look at clothing, furniture and other things in the world, there are cheaper versions of just about everything!

It's for the discerning buyers and collectors as to which one they choose to value for quality. sad.gif

#94 bonbon9876

bonbon9876

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 09:10 PM

Actually, they are all lions, not dogs. Have no idea why they are called Foo dogs.
Besides the temples and monumental archways, they are also found in front of the main doors of the palace and big houses of the high rank officials. Ordinary people even the millionaires are forbidden to have them. They are always come in couple, a male and a female, you can tell by what they carry on their forelimb, a baby lion is for female, a ball or ancient copper coin for male.

Have a wonderful weekend smile.gif
Nina

#95 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 09:13 PM

Interesting information, thanks Nina! wink.gif Does the color play a role in anything? Like the red or ivory colors we have for our solids?

#96 bonbon9876

bonbon9876

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 09:25 PM

No, they are stoneworks, just in their own natural color.

Forgot to thank you, Lisa. You have eagle eyes, and bring so much fun to us. Thank you smile.gif

Nina

#97 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 09:40 PM

Did you ever notice how all our solids tie together? I found some good reading on our new solid- the Pampered Pekinese:

The Pekingese may be a miniature edition of the ancient 'Foo Dogs' of
China that were used to ward off evil spirits with their lion-like appearances.
Earliest references to the breed date back to the 8th century. Ownership of the
Pekingese was restricted to members of the Chinese Imperial Court and the
pampered little lion dogs were not seen outside of China until 1860. In that year,
British troops stormed the Summer Palace at Peking. Most of the palace dogs
had been killed to prevent the British from taking them. But five Pekes
were found guarding the body of an imperial princess who had taken her own life.
These five were taken back to Britain and one was presented to Queen Victoria,
who named her 'Looty.' This quintet, plus a few imported later, formed the basis
of the modern Pekingese breed.

#98 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 11:30 PM

Did anyone notice the Strongwater 2002 books with the picture frame the back of the picture comes out and you can add your own photo. Pretty nice. wink.gif
KK biggrin.gif

#99 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 11:39 PM

Thanks KK!

Never really noticed the adorable little tab to hold the back of the frame. It's great!
Did you change out your photo, if so what did ya put in? wink.gif

#100 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 09:59 AM

Did you ever notice that with this box style the paper is hand applied? Each box is wallpapered with the blue floral paper, you will notice this by feeling for air bubbles and also by looking at the corners and inside. Also, each label is applied with some double stick tape. Now that workmanship. I wonder if this was a favorite wallpaper of the late great Mrs. Estee Lauder?
user posted image
user posted image

#101 Sylvia Ray

Sylvia Ray

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 11:46 AM

[FONT=Optima][COLOR=blue] Thanks for this topic, I am really enjoying this and learning lot.

#102 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 05:32 PM

Haven't changed the photo yet, but I'm thinking about it.
Interesting about the wallpaper and the workmanship.
This is a wonderful topic.
KK biggrin.gif

#103 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 09:51 AM

Did you ever notice the cute little legend cards EL put in the boxes of some solids? Here is what it says on the card of the Knowing Bunny:
user posted image

"Light-footed and foot-loose, the all-knowing bunny wisely keeps his silence and runs free in the moonlight."

I really like the idea of these cards and miss seeing them.

#104 katita

katita

Katita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 12:33 PM

I haven't seen a card like that - that's cool. I wish they'd bring that back. It's cute and gives each solid a little character. I like it.

#105 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 12:51 PM

Yes, they are cool and you said it perfectly Katita- it give the solid character! I really like that. wink.gif

Guess EL did them in 1997, they also came with other solids that unfortunately I don't have or don't have the box.

If anyone else is willing to share I think it is a really cute little thing to know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users