• Please log in to reply
241 replies to this topic

#76 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 12:10 PM

Nancy, sinister was last night with someone listing Rover Cars for sale and using my name!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bears showing off all their yummy honey, quite sweet!!!!!!!! wink.gif

I wouldn't be upset to have a Van with two different doors! It's an oddity, and you know how rare they are! Look at the gold teapot, prototype. I really like it all gold!

#77 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 12:23 PM

Did you ever notice the cyrstals on the globe are under clear blue enamel for a smooth watery look?
user posted image

#78 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 06:05 AM

Did you ever notice the backing on these two solids? They don't open like all the others, the back slides open to the right. Notice the screw at the top.
user posted image

#79 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 06:52 AM

Did you ever notice that the pair of Party Shoes are both for the "right" foot? tongue.gif

#80 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 08:29 AM

Martha are you sure on that point? One looks like a left foot, and the other a right...... I can't take a good picture for you to see, but have another look at yours.

blink.gif

Looking again, I could have two left feet........really not sure on this one!

#81 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 08:21 PM

Beary funny but strange, Martha and Jacky - you have a nice pair their if one has two right feet and the other two left . . . . . you are talking about the solid, aren't you Jacky?

#82 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 12:23 PM

Here are the party shoes for Martha, not sure which foot they are made for but I would wear them!
user posted image

Did you ever notice the Statue of Liberty (I think) is made out of 4 different parts? The base is two different pieces, the body is a seperate piece attached to the base and the raised arm and head is another piece. My head is more matte than the rest of the body.
user posted image

#83 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 08:24 PM

Lisa, going back to your Harrods Van - I also wouldn't be too disappointed with different coloured doors - it's rather unique, and you may have the only one in the world!! Sometimes oddities like that make the item more exclusive and valuable . . . . however, let's be clear that I am not talking about unfinished or broken pieces!! dry.gif

I enjoy looking at your pics and descriptions of other solids too, especially since I don't have a lot of them or mulitples to compare. You are doing well bringing the excitement back to collecting solids!! Thanks!! cool.gif

#84 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 08:35 PM

Thanks Sandra,

Just trying to keep things interesting although I am running out of things to notice! ohmy.gif

Would love to hear from some other members about neet or intetesting solid details.

#85 P.E.Parry

P.E.Parry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 02:44 AM

Trying to determine the spacing of some shelves for solids had me looking for the tallest. My first thought was that it would be the Ferris Wheel. Then realized that the Sparkling Mermaid was taller. Looking further found the Statue of Liberty was the tallest I have. Is this really it? Anyone know of one that has more height?

#86 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 10:42 AM

Phyllis, I don't have any of the circus solids but the Statue of Liberty is the tallest one I have followed by the mermaid. Thanks!

Did you ever notice some of the packaging varies, this solid has packaging similar to the plain gold box from Las Vegas but inside it does have an insert to hold the solid in place and also a sticker on the back. Did you also ever notice that the hatboxes have "limited edition" stamped on the back of the gold Estee Lauder tag

user posted image
user posted imageuser posted image

#87 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 11:35 AM

Lisa-- This is such a great topic.

I am wearing a path in the carpet running to the curio cabinet to take a look. laugh.gif

My question --- Why didn't I see all this before. ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Thanks for giving us a second look at our solids. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Ann

#88 Nettie

Nettie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 06:03 PM

I have also noticed that some of the Estee Lauder solids are simialar to solids made by other companys ( Don and Margaret mentioned this in another post and I'm not quite sure how to copy the quote across sorry).

Some I have noticed are Birdcage,Jack in The Box, Carousel, Rocking Horse, even some of the Cameos have similar designs.

Were these designed by the same designer or were these copied?

Which were made first, some of the other solids look older than the EL ones ?

I'm not sure of who they are made by but have just noticed these simialities while looking at ebay.

Is this okay to do ,for someone else to copy designs from another ?

Hope someone maybe able to shed some light.

I have been wondering about this for a while but when this topic came up thought it might be okay to ask.

#89 katita

katita

Katita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 07:00 PM

I'm not sure where the ideas for all the cameos are from - but I do know that I have an EL cameo and the same exact design on a spring loaded pill box. I think they are both copies of an even older cameo design. Something akin to the "classical" period of cameos. I don't know much about cameo history but I'm sure they have one. Anyone?

#90 P.E.Parry

P.E.Parry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 10:31 PM

Thanks Lisa

Never noticed words on the back of the hat box tag before.

Today I was doing some rearranging and happened to notice that the necklace chains on the Full Moon and the Good Fortune are the same. Much heavier than any other EL necklace I've seen. Sent me heading to the book to check year of issue. 1972 for the Moon and c1970s for the Budda Might have even been the same year. Ya think maybe?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users