• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 10:19 PM

Our collection will surely go to our three daughters. We'll let them fight over which ones go to who. biggrin.gif

#17 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 11:03 PM

huh.gif Oh -no!! Are you inviting sibling rivalry? I'm one of three. (The unfortunate middle one). sad.gif

#18 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 11:07 PM

Don't feel so sad, Sandra. You have siblings at least. I'm very loney here without any. My dad doesn't have any either...actually he has a half sister over 20 years younger than him. They didn't grow up together, so they aren't that close. unsure.gif

#19 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 11:28 PM

sad.gif sniff . . . . thanks Greyhound. Sorry to hear you actually want siblings! (only kidding - I love them, really.)

My mum is the second of 9 and my dad is the fifth of 10. Always another mouth to feed somewhere!! I'm inundated with an over supply of relatives. I would like to have a happy medium. Can I send at least half of them over? unsure.gif

#20 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 06:43 AM

Sandra, you can send them to me! biggrin.gif I would love to have a large family (the grass is always greener) with lots of brothers and sisters, nieces and nephews.

Good question, Lisa, it's got me thinking. My collection will most likely be passed on to my sister; but in the meantime, I liked Ron's response that we are "caretakers" for the time being.

#21 pinkmoiree

pinkmoiree

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 09:12 AM

My collection will sure show up on ebay someday sad.gif

My youngest son who has shown me the way to the fascinating world wide web and even helped me to buy the first solids on ebay because I haven't had my own paypal account then, he knows of the value of my solids and has my ok to sell them (rather in the farther than the nearer future I hope) wink.gif

Madeleine

#22 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 09:49 AM

I HAVE DECIDED TO SELL ALL MINE WHEN I GET OLDER AND HAVE ONE LAST BIG HOLIDAY IN.......

VEGAS wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

#23 mimi

mimi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 03:05 PM

Hi Everyone,

Here's what I am doing. I have one adorable grandaughter, Reagan biggrin.gif, plus two darling grandsons, Jackson and Grant.....who would only want a solid if it was Darth Vader or Han Solo!!!!! I am trying to gather the pieces for a few "themes" that I think she (Reagan) will love. wub.gif If they ever do a Star Wars collection, we're set! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

In light of this, I am selling everything else that I have. One of my pieces is on our "For Sale" page. I would like for our "Caretakers" to have first choice before I put them on E-Bay. Anyone interested can e-mail me.

I will continue to collect the special pieces for my Reagan. Someday, she can display them.......Gosh.....I hope she will love them as much as I have
wub.gif..... They make me happy every time I look at them!!

Mimi

#24 loveperfume

loveperfume

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 04:53 PM

I have two sons who could care less about solids, but I have two granddaughters who will most likely get them. Lisa, my mother also collected tea cups. When she passed away I got the collection and just love them.

#25 P.E.Parry

P.E.Parry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 07:47 PM

Received the following email last week

"There is a very fine line between a hobby and insanity".

Have two grandsons; while both of them look and admire my solids, at present the oldest (11) would like to sell them and buy a dirt bike. The youngest (5) asked "Grandma what happens to these when you die? Do the people who live in this house next get to keep them?" I had a hard time answering for hiding my laughter.

#26 katita

katita

Katita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 04:00 AM

I have no family members interested in my solid collection. I guess my husband will get them if he outlives me. I really don't know! I'm still thinking this question out. This is a really hard question for me. I don't think my husband would just sell them - he built the display cabinets for me and he's put a lot of time in my collection. He says he really enjoys it so....maybe he's just being nice.

#27 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 08:01 AM

This is really a difficult question to answer. I have family and friends, but none of them understand why I collect and keep these solids. They keep asking me if I have sold any! When I reply that many of them I cannot part with unless I have doubles, they appear frustrated and give me disdainful looks. Sometimes I feel I need to explain myself, as many people have hobbies and collections but I just ignore their comments.. My mother used to collect dolls but no-one questioned her in this respect.

So it would seem that many of my Collection I will leave to some of my lovely Collector friends. That would be my wish!

#28 klassicguy1

klassicguy1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 09:40 AM

Well, this may sound a little selfish...but I plan on selling mine at some point - along with my other collections - and doing something really special. I love collecting, but I just know one day I will sell it all and make a major life change. cool.gif

#29 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 09:46 AM

Lisa,
I understand how you can't part with your solids, but this is actually a serious topic that most people haven't thought about. A large solid collection could be valuable. It should be insured. Collectors should make provisions for them - and everything else in their estates. Instructions should be written out in a will so they can be followed by an executor. I've seen fights among family members, and valuable keepsakes sold at estate sales. Also, state laws vary, but without a will, your possessions could go to someone you don't want to have them.
In addition to earthly goods, we should each have a living will - what you do or don't want to happen if you can't make decisions for yourself.
None of us wants to think about it, or believe anything can happen to us, but it's best to be prepared.
Ar

#30 katita

katita

Katita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 11:59 AM

I understand how Jacqueline feels - my friends really think I'm a little nuts and my sister is always complaining that my house smells like one BIG solid perfume! I guess I'll leave them to THIS SITE or like KlassicGuy (whom I've bought from in the past) I'll sell them all (GASP) and stop collecting. I just can't picture doing that now!! I love my collection so much. I did have a ryder put on my home insurance policy to cover them. ANOTHER GASP!!! Even with the money - how would I replace them???? Too horrible to think about! I've decided to live forever!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users