• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 07:18 AM

Has anyone thought out what will happen to their collections? Anyone have family members that "have dibs" on a particular solid or whole collection.

At the moment no one in my family shares my addiction for solids, I am however trying to get my close friend to start collecting. I have in the past given gifts of solids to my Mother and Sister who used the perfume and then returned the empty compact to me. cool.gif

#2 Queenie

Queenie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 08:12 AM

Well Lisa,I guess I never gave it much thought, I sort of just live in the moment.
I have no close relatives whom I know of that share in this phenomenon
of collecting the perfume solids. unsure.gif
So Perhaps I could donate them to a museum if ones exists.
"Is there one, Lisa?" ohmy.gif

#3 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 10:38 AM

This brings back the story which I wrote for the Collectors some time back! Quite sad really!

sad.gif

#4 peanutbutter

peanutbutter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 10:45 AM

Well since I have three boys who really don't care about my solids, I hope one of them will have a little girl and I will be able to pass them on.

#5 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 11:23 AM

Lisa,
I've got it written into my will - one sister gets the solids, the other gets the Beanie Babies (HA HA! - it's true, because she made me start collecting them, and now they are worthless, so she get's em!).
Lisa, I'd be honored to be your beneficiary... biggrin.gif
Ar

#6 favoritegram

favoritegram

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 11:50 AM

Believe it or not my now 9 year old Grandson will probably get them. He has been fascinated with them since he was about 2 and really loves them.Every time I buy a new one he is the first to smell it and check it out. The 7 year old may get a few but his interest is not a strong as that of his Brother. My Daughter only wants some of my Bottles, probably the Lalique and Baccarat ones, LOL. Lainey

#7 Jeanette

Jeanette

Jeanette

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 03:04 PM

I'm hoping when my nieces get older, they will appreciate perfume solids because they will be inheriting them from me. I have been trying to share my passion for solids with them but they could really care a less right now. They'd rather collect dolls. wink.gif

#8 Maddalena

Maddalena

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 04:58 PM

Hi everybody
When I'm gone, my husband will sell'em in a local garage sale for a buck a piece blink.gif ... just kidding biggrin.gif . Let's be serios - he even likes'em, but mostly my novelty mini perfume collection. It was him who brung me into this hobby tirtheen years ago - he is the real collecter and hunter in the family (old records, Jukeboxes and classic cars ). He tought like that with me collecting solids, he's got further permission for his toys...

But as I got two daughter's (Noemi 10 and Felisha 7) will get'em. They handle even now out, which one will get every new piece in my collection. Also our youngest son (Jeronimo 5) announces his interesst in all the perfumes related to cars...!! I hope they will continue with the same entusiasm smile.gif

Greetings from Switzerland

#9 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 05:24 PM

Good question!

I don't have any kids...and not sure if I will. I have a very small family. None of them collect solids or anything else (mom used to collect Nippon pottery but hasn't bought anything in 20 years). Also, family members will damage or loose solids (mom is the only exception).

Anyhoo, I told my husband that he can keep/sell my solids if he wants. He gets 1st dibs on anything I own. laugh.gif He moves like a snail, so my solids will lay dormant for awhile. You won't see any immediate ebay listings that's for sure.

My 2nd choice is my brother-in-law. He is good at taking care of stuff (especially collectables). I trust my solids will remain mint with him. He isn't interested in collecting solids, so I know full well that he will sell them on ebay. I don't care if I'm dead.

Similar but different....Don't want to be too gloomy, but I'd sell 50-90% of my collections right away if something bad happened.

#10 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 05:52 PM

Don't be gloomy Greyhound.

And NFJ1064, if you would like a Harrods Van with perfume, then I have one here in the U.K.

Am going back to the bling bling in the other post. That really is making me roar with laughter. Greyhound, get moving over there!

smile.gif smile.gif

#11 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 06:24 PM

Hi Maddalena smile.gif

My husband collects cars as well. We had an old classic ford that we used to put into county shows. The only trouble was that we had to book it in 6months in advance. On a nice sunny day it was good because we got into the rest of the show for free and we would take food with us and have a picnic but with our British weather more often or not it would rain, in the end I got fed up with getting wet and sitting with my feet in 2inches of mud. In the end my husband sold her, it broke my heart to see her go sad.gif but we know she went to a good home and a young collector.

Regards.....Margaret.......

#12 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 06:42 PM

Well I look at it this way. I consider myself and all collectors caretakers of whatever until we pass them along to the next collector. Without us there would be no antiques. Hence my ebay name caretakr

#13 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 06:43 PM

My dad restored and owns a 1957 Chevy. I wish he would drive it. It's been sitting around for years and no longer runs. The gas turned to sluge. He is now into motorcycles. My mom is ready to sell them all. laugh.gif laugh.gif

#14 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 08:11 PM

sad.gif Really not that ready to think about that! They will probably just be part of my estate to pass on to friends and relatives along with my other collections of 'stuff' (as Ann says), valuables etc.

No-one I know in person are Ebay addicts, so I don't know if they'd end up there either. But like Greyhound says, I'll be gone, so I won't be here to care! sad.gif

It's a bit of a gloomy subject . . . . . makes me wonder about the member we lost a year ago. Boo Hoo!!! sad.gif

#15 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 09:27 PM

It was meant to be a gloomy topic. I was only wondering if anyone had family members interested in taking over a collection. Getting the next generation involved.

My Grandmother collected tea cups and I always admired her collection when I was younger I always let her know which ones I wanted.

Don't under any circumstances think I could ever part with even one of my solids.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users