• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 klassicguy1

klassicguy1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 06:56 PM

Everyone. I have bid on some expensive items in the past month and have received fraudulent second chance offers on the items after they close. Some come up to a week after auction end. Some are so good it is scary. In the beginning, I would contact the seller to see if indeed the winning bidder had backed out and they never had. I even received a second chance offer on an item I recently won...how crazy is that! ohmy.gif So, please beware of these fraudulent e-mails. If you receive something suspicious, or almost too good to be true, forward to Spoof@Ebay.com for validation.

Woody

#2 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 07:13 PM

WOW! Thanks for letting us know Woody.

It's just amazing how the scammers think of everything.

#3 Queenie

Queenie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 07:31 PM

Good Point, Woody!
In the beginning I was stupid and thought there was really a second chance offer, but now realize more than likely the seller had someone running the item up then acted like they pulled out. I don't do second chance offers any more, just on that account.
Always buyer beware on eBay! huh.gif

#4 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 09:44 PM

Yeah - have to agree with Queenie on this one . . . . sometimes the bids are run up by someone else, and it seems that you get a 'good deal' with the second chance offer.

I've taken two up when I was a bit of a 'novice' and regretted doing it both times.

However Woody's one seems new - his emails are fraudulent . . . . seems that the original seller isn't offering? Or am I reading it wrong?

#5 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 09:44 PM

I feel a lot of the fraud is at the fault of eBay. In my opinion they make it too easy for scams to be pulled off.

#6 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 12:13 AM

I received a 2nd chance offer recently on a cheap item. The lady sold multipules of the same thing. Hers happened to be legit.

I'm weary on pricer items. Had only 1 2nd chance on a solid last summer. The seller (or scammer?) sent one 3 months after the fact. Didn't go for it because I was too late as I'm lazy with emails.

Moral of the story: make sure to ask the seller 1st.

#7 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 02:47 AM

Woody,
We're not real clear on what happened to you. Did the second chance offer come from the real seller or was it a total fraud by someone else? huh.gif

#8 klassicguy1

klassicguy1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 05:43 AM

The Second Chance offers I am referring to are not sent by the seller and are totally fraudulent. Scammers are targeting high ticket items that sell on Ebay and then sending fraudulent e-mails to the underbidder indicating the item is still available and if you send payment, you will receive item. In some cases, it is very easy to spot the e-mail as fraudulent. I have received some that look extremely good. Please see Jacky's e-mail...she rec'd a second chance offer on an item I won and have already received. the seller was not involved.

Hope that helps.

#9 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 06:36 AM

Apologies Woody. I did not see your posting about the same thing when I posted early this morning. Thanks for your help in writing to me so quickly last night! It's really good to know that we can communicate and once again stresses the need for communication on this site with ALL the members, and the newbies getting to know the oldies who have had longer to learn!

This was not fraudulent from the Seller, or a scam on his/her part! I must admit I was nearly taken in by the offer as it appeared to be so upfront. ........so take care and if in doubt, contact another member!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users