5 replies to this topic

#1 SINNETT

SINNETT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 03:35 AM

This is dedicated to Nancy smile.gif

Reading your Fawlty Towers experience reminds me of one of my little adventures some years ago.

There we were, finally arrived in SLOVONSKY BROD for the night, and after a long journey, looking forward to a good meal and a good nights rest. laugh.gif

I don't know how many of you are familiar with SB, but it is in central Yugoslavia and this was while they were one country, and still communist. ph34r.gif

In the centre of town is the BROD hotel, which we happily checked into. The room was on the seventh floor so we took the elevator and found our room.

It was a little disappointing blink.gif

However, the shower worked and very quickly refreshed we set off to find the restaurant. The elevator arrived, so we got in and pressed the button for the ground floor. Down we went.

Ground floor came - and went, up we go again, this time we get to the fifth floor and the door opens. A large family were waiting and it was a very small lift so they waved and we set off again.

Ground floor came - and went, yes up we go back to the fifth. This time the family attempt to get in with us, but three are left to wait for the return journey. Down we go again.

Ground floor came - and went. blink.gif

This time we got out of the lift on the fifth floor and walked down - I wonder if the family ever made it out!!!!

At reception we tried English, French and German to ask where the restaurant was and were told it was out the door, turn right and down the street. OK

We got ourselves seated and the menu arrived - thankfully it was in German too. We both decided on the chicken and a bottle of the local red wine. The waiter arrived to take our order and surprisingly he spoke a little English - probably from watching Fawlty Towers!!! wink.gif

The conversation went something like this:-

"Two chicken and a bottle of red wine please"

"No chicken"

We looked at the menu again.

"Two beef and a bottle of red wine please"

"No beef"

"Two pork and a bottle of red wine please"

"No pork"

Rather than go through the whole menu we asked what they did have.

"We have veal"

"Two veal and a bottle of red wine please"

"No wine"

The other two tables had bottles of beer, so we settled for Veal and the local beer Pivo.

Half way through the meal the restaurant filled up and men and instruments arrived. After a couple of bottles of Pivo this seemed to be a change of luck, we always enjoy live music.

Fifteen minutes later the Yugoslavian answer to Iron Maiden started with a bang ph34r.gif mad.gif blink.gif

Even more bottles of Pivo couldn't make it sound any better so we beat a hasty retreat back to the hotel.

The walk up the stairs to the seventh floor helped with our digestion, but we didn't exactly get a good nights rest. There were so many creatures sharing the bed that it took me a week to stop scratching laugh.gif biggrin.gif wink.gif

Like Nancy I can laugh about it now, but at the time it was a less than happy experience!!!

Come on everyone, lets have your tales of woe to give us all a laugh.

Caroline

#2 Nettie

Nettie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 06:13 AM

Well Caroline you have certainly had some interesting events happen to you.

This topic I've had some experience with.

Having moved around Australia for the last twenty years (my husband gets transfered in his job quite often), we have stayed in our fair share of bad hotels, while traveling between posting locations and then when we get to our locality, we have to stay in hotels until we can find a house to live.

This in itself gets quite stressful without adding grotty hotels into the formula.
I remember the very first move I had just got married and left my home state of Tassie to a new life in NSW. I was moving to a state where I knew no one and to a place where I had never been.
We arrived into Newcastle in the early evening went to our hotel only to find they had g iven our room out. But being generous they had booked us into another hotel 40 mins back the way we had come. (not knowing there was an other hotel just minutes up the road in the other direction. we headed back the way we came Not the same chain though.)
That in itself doesn't seem to bad but Bob had to go to work the next day and I had to vacate the room by early morning. I had no where to go, to early to get to our original hotel so I had to go with Bob to work and sit in the car in the carpark, while he went to work. Luckily it was only until lunch time then he was able to take me to the origanal hotel. Why you may ask did we go back to the original hotel after what they did? Because we had no say in it .Bob's work had booked all the accommodation so thats where we had to stay until we were able to find a house. (which luckily was only a few weeks)

Another bad experince was on a move from Katherine in the Northern Territory to Queensland I remember this one well because it was my birthday the same thing happened again the hotel had given our room out etc but this time we had made a point of ringing and confirming ahead of time. not that that seem to matter.The hotel they had booked us into was so bad they only had curtains on the top half of the windows the bottom half were painted (I think they had run out of material ) The beds were the pits they were skinny little single beds with wire on the bases like old dorm beds and bugs there were som many they could have carried you away.
There was no breakfast menu so no special breaky for my birthday just a rush to get out of there and onto the next town.

I think we have had a minor incedent in nearly every move.Our last move to here we had all settled in for the night the kids were in bed and we were just getting ready for bed when the fire alarm went off.
It's amazing what kids sleep through we had to really shake them to get them up while quickly getting something decent on and getting out of the room in an orderly fashion. So we and many others take the stairs to get outside luckily we were only 5 floors up. We all waited outside on the esplanade in pjs while the fireman put the fire out. Something minor somebody was cooking something in their room and it burnt causing lots of smoke.

On the upside we have stayed in lots of wonderful hotel with fantastic service. But staying in so many over the years it has taked the excitement out of staying in hotels when we go on holidays.

#3 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:02 AM

Oh, the things we do for love. When I was in college, my roommate and I were dating two guys in the navy. To make a long story short, we decided to drive from Ann Arbor, MI (near Detroit) to Boson, MA (where their ship was docked) for a long weekend. This was February, the dead of winter. The quickest way was to drive through Ontario, Canada, crossing over near Buffalo, New York (Niagara Falls was frozen), and then on to Boston.

We had a great weekend and decided to head back Sunday afternoon, drive straight through the night, so we wouldnít miss our Monday morning classes.

Well, somewhere outside of Boston it started to snow, then the snow became mixed with sleet, and soon we found ourselves in a blizzard. There were no SUVís then, and I was driving a baby blue Mustang. Itís late at night, we are both exhausted, the weather is deteriorating, and we realize we have to stop and spend the night. Itís too dangerous to keep driving. Weíre near Syracuse, NY (which is in upper state New York). There are no motels anywhere in sight, when suddenly we see what looks like a motel for truckers.

The trucker motel luckily had a vacancy. When we unlocked the door to our room, we couldnít believe how huge it was, just mammoth, and all the mirrors (what did we know). And it was paneled in knotty pine, just beautiful we thought.

As Iím unpacking the suitcase, thinking how we really lucked out, I notice that the ìknotsî are missing from the ìknottyî pine. So I go over and peek through one of the holes to see if there is anything or anyone there, but all I can see is a cavernous black hole.

By this time, we are so creeped out with the mirrors and missing knot holes that we donít even undress, but get into our beds with our clothes still on. Exhausted, we eventually fall asleep. When we awaken, itís a nice day and we make it back safely, but missed our Monday morning classes.

Before we left the motel, I did look carefully in the snow outside of our window to see if there were any footprints below the window. There were, but I never told my roommate.

#4 Queenie

Queenie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 10:29 AM

Martha C,
Sleeping with your clothes on was one smart idea,
"I knew you were a sharp cookie!"

I have not had any personally bad experiences in a motel/hotel situation,
but my husband Jerry use to travel frequently when he was employed by the phone company. I believe he said he had got a room in Michigan, as he traveled alot to Michigan; anyway he went to his room and checked everything out then decided to go to supper. When he came back from supper he opened the door and found a man and woman in his bed, needless to say the management had rented Jerry's room out to another couple for the night or part of the night.
I believe Jerry got another room if I remember right. sad.gif

#5 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 01:35 AM

Sinnett, are you sure you weren't in the Czech Republic? laugh.gif Reading your story reminds me of Prague.

I stayed at a lot of cheapie hotels throughout my life. I can't remember all the bad ones off hand, just recent ones.

My husband and I went to Prague, Czech Republic (formerly known as Czechoslovakia). Most of the hotels there seem like a joke (went 3x). We stayed at a 2 star hotel, which was mistake there but okay in other countries. The room was surprisingly big with an entrance way, big bedroom, and bathroom. The bed was so low to the ground that it might as well be a futon on the floor. The mattress was hard as a rock. The bathroom was the worst in any hotel I ever stayed. There was absolutely no hot water in the shower or sink. The shower glass doors had huge cracks that barely held together (about to shatter). The heater didn't work. We complained but in typical fashion, they didn't care and made silly excuses. And, laughed at us. Needless to say, we only stayed one night instead of the 3 we orignially reserved.

Last year we went to South Dakota. We drove from Minneapolis, MN to Rapid City, SD and to Mt Rushmore etc. We spent a night in Wall, SD (same town as Wall Drug store). Cheapie motels are expected in a town like this, no big deal. We just happen to choose one with tons of flies. We could hear buzzing all night long. Luckily, they buzzed behind the curtain. The room smelled old and musty. The bed was lumpy. The motel looked like it was built in the 60's/70's, but the room looked very unfinished. The good news -- it only cost $40 for 2 people + we had a free scrambled egg breakfast at the restaurant across the street.

#6 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 05:06 PM

Freaky stories!! And y'all might wonder why I enjoy camping!! Put your own tent up with no bugs or creepy holes in it and sleep in your own bed and matress!! Either that or the campervan is my favourite in good weather!!

Have had my fair share of strange hostel experiences . . . they make the hotel experiences seem fantastic. But ain't it great travelling?!?! You can look back and laugh at it years later - it's all part of the world experience!!

Remember, some people live worse than you describe on a daily basis. And that's the freaky part!! unsure.gif

So count your blessings that we're all still alive after strange and trying events elsewhere. And remember, "there's no place like home, there's no place like home . . . . " cool.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users