• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 Gigi

Gigi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 04:23 PM

A big thank you to you Mary and your father for putting in the extra time and effort in telling us about the making of our solids and what went into production of them. It is truly appreciated. As a collector the more information I know about, the better. Thank you again.

Gigi

#32 Aussie Girl

Aussie Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 06:25 PM

Thanks for all that great information Peanut butter & to your Dad too. I knew that the crystals were all set one at a time by hand but with the rest of what you told us one can appreciate why they cost so much. I think it's such a shame that the slot machine has changed colour but from what your father said it makes sense. Such a pity E.L. didn't find out that the perfume would discolour that particular type of plastic or resin before the solid went out into the market place. Oh well we all have the same problem!

Karen
sad.gif

#33 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 08:01 PM

Thanks Lisa for the tip on the solid database and how to use it to find solids which have movable parts. I was wondering why the solid database says favorites but I can never create a favorites base from it for my own personal needs.
Why is that, Lisa? rolleyes.gif

Pam,

Not sure what you mean about favorites in the database?

#34 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 06:17 PM

Fantastic reading, Mary - thanks for finding the time to post it all!! A Very impressive report on the making of EL solids!! And makes us all treasure our collection more!!

I still wonder then, how EL can manage to let go of the 'unsold' ones so cheaply!!

Also, I am a little fascinated that someone has found variations in the colourings of certain solids . . . . I don't have doubles of any, so am curious that different shadings appear as this hasn't been mentioned before. Any chance of a picture with the different nuances/colour variations please? - Anyone?

I know this happens with other things I collect, but haven't noticed it with the solids. But with such personal detailing without machinery, I guess it makes sense.

Again - I'm very grateful for the information. A big THANK YOU!! biggrin.gif

#35 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 07:38 PM

I think the variations of colors were only with the Jay Strongwater solids because the enameling is hand painted and some of the petals of the flowers in the tulip quartet have two colors kind of swirled together (yellow and pink) this is where the variations come into play.

If you haven't seen this go check out Jay's web site and click the link to the making of a frame it actually shows a video of all stages of the production. Very interesting and a fabulous thing to have for collectors.

Jay Strongwater web site

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users