32 replies to this topic

#1 Solidcrazy

Solidcrazy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 10:51 PM

[Hi Everyone!

I thought it would be fun and interesting to hear stories about how we obtained some of our solids. Not on eBay, I mean at a garage sale or swap meet etc. I was in a thrift shop one day and found a fragrant shell hanging with a bunch of other necklaces with a price tag of 75 cents. ohmy.gif I about fainted! Of course I bought it! It is not one of my favorite perfumes but I have to say it is my best bargain! Oh how I would love to find a collection at an estate sale etc. and luck upon some wanted solids for $20 or so but so far no luck. How about any of you? Has anyone lucked upon a great solid bargain?

Donna

#2 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 01:26 AM

Sadly no sad.gif

However, I like your story and the topic. Am interested to hear about other people's exploits too!

#3 Karin

Karin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 02:14 AM

Great topic, Donna!!! I am a hopeless bargainhunter and always have been. However, when it comes to solids it is way difficult to find any here in Sweden. In all my years of scavening for "might be something to have" things I only once found an EL solid. It was the Moonsilver necklace without the chain since the seller obviously cut it off thinking it would be easier to sell as a pill box blink.gif It cost far to much in my opinion (about 9.00 USD) but I bought it anyway only because it was the only solid I've ever found here.
Otherwise my best bargains insofar are a pair of shoes from 1820 bought for 20.00 USD and Schiaparellis perfume bottle Smoking bought for 10.00. I also was given two chairs from mid 1800 that the owners were going to throw away and no one else wanted (can you belive it?).
I am so looking forward to hear your bargain stories!!
Karin

#4 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 03:38 AM

My best find was the Ginger Jewel! I passed a closed Showcase in an Antiques Market in London and nearly died! It was lying. half hidden, amongst alot of other bits and pieces I asked to look at it and could not believe my luck. So I rushed back home, grabbed my Roselyn Gerson's book, and made it back to the Antiques Market in time before the people were closing up for a couple of weeks. Borrowed the Necklace, checked it out against the picture then purchased!

That was a find and half! And to keep you 'looking' Karin, I have found other items too, but it is a long slog and alot of hunting but worth it in the end. Keep looking, that's all I can say as eventually you WILL find something but it might take a while!

cool.gif

#5 Solidcrazy

Solidcrazy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 08:28 AM

Jaqueline!

I can just imagine how your heart was racing when you looked down and saw your treasure! How exciting!

Donna

#6 SINNETT

SINNETT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 08:37 AM

[FONT=Impact][SIZE=7][COLOR=blue]

This is a great topic, I love bargains but am not a great one for looking round flea markets and such - not too patient!!!

My best bargain was back in the middle eighties, I had been in Hong Kong for a while and had a beautiful scarlet ballgown made to measure. rolleyes.gif

Now that I was back in London I was finding it hard to get the right pair of shoes to match. Then it was Harrods sale! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I found a pair of red silk evening sandals with blue and red rhinestones reduced from 199 to 19 tongue.gif laugh.gif

That was a real Cinderella outfit and I loved every second I wore it.

Caroline

#7 Queenie

Queenie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 09:46 AM

"Good Morning Everyone!"
My best and unusal find was several years ago in the Ohio Amish country.
I had been collecting only powder compacts at this time.
Jerry, my husband and I had frequented an antique shop in Berlin, Ohio.
Jerry asked me if I wanted to go into their shop and look for compacts and I said they wouldn't have compacts, but we went in anyway. Took me less than ten minutes to find the Volupte paved diamond studded compact at $35.00 less 10%. The most funny thing was I didn't know how to open the compact and the Amish boy who was waiting on me opened it in a matter of seconds. Jerry and I laughed about it all the way home (an hour's drive).
So keep looking they turn up in the most usual places!
smile.gif

#8 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 11:10 AM

Caroline, I thought you were going to say that you found the PARTY SHOES! My heart was in my mouth!

That Pave studded compact sounds beautiful Queenie. Have you a picture of it? It is only through looking at all the pictures in the books especially of Roselyn Gerson, that when you come across something out of the ordinairy, a bell goes off in the back of your head! Well, thats how it happens with me! Maybe that's why I am bonkers (for my English friends)!

WAITING for the next story!

wink.gif

#9 Queenie

Queenie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 11:26 AM

Yes, Jacqueline I do have a photo of the Powder compact.
It is in the Members Photo Gallery under "Vanity Drawer" and it's the one second from the bottom right corner. "Enjoy!" rolleyes.gif

#10 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 12:54 PM

Pam, the Volupte compact is STUNNING!!! What a find ... you lucky girl.

#11 Queenie

Queenie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 01:14 PM

Thanks Martha C! Yes I have to admit sometimes I am lucky.
I signed Jerry and myself up for an all-expense paid trip to Nascar Pepsi 400 in 2003 and Jerry won, so I have had my fill of luck. I also signed up for the Estee Lauder Designer handbag and I have my fingers crossed. tongue.gif

#12 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 04:22 PM

Yes, Martha, the compact is stunning! Fabulous find! Bet Vegas Lady would like to get her hands on that one!

Meanwhile, don't forget you should have a couple of us entered in the E.L. Sweepstake! I know you will be honest about it!! smile.gif

#13 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 04:34 PM

HI EVERYONE......

YOU BET I WOULD LIKE TO GET MY HANDS ON THAT ONE laugh.gif laugh.gif JUST SO ME........BLING BLING wink.gif

MARGARET......

#14 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 04:57 PM

MY BEST BUY WAS A PAIR OF WANDSWORTH POWDER COMPACTS, BALL SHAPED.
ONE IS THE ROULETTE WHEEL AND ONE IS A PAIR OF DICE ( PAGE 300 AND 304 VINTAGE LADIES POWDER COMPACTS-ROSELYN GERSON) THERE WAS A SALE ON AT OUR LOCAL VILLAGE HALL AND I GOT THEM FOR ABOUT 10 OR $18.....I FLOATED ON AIR FOR ABOUT A WEEK. biggrin.gif

I HAVE A SAYING, ( IF YOU DONT LOOK YOU DONT SEE ) I WILL GO THROUGH ANY BOX OF OLD RUBBISH OR ANY RACK OF SALE GOODS....I ONCE GOT A BLACK LEATHER PRADA BAG FOR 5 AND GAVE IT TO MY DAUGHTER IN LAW, SILLY ME sad.gif

REGARDS.....MARGARET

#15 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 06:22 PM

You guys are lucky. I haven't found anything good at flea markets, garage and estate sales, etc. There's a bunch of junk in Houston. laugh.gif Or, dealers have secret deals with vedors ahead of time (before general public gets a chance). I'm on an estate sale mailing list from one company. These people know the value of everything and price accordingly. Even so, I still can't find anything worth buying (even if I'm the 1st of 20 people there). I'm about to give up, but haven't quite yet.

The deals I find are on ebay or department stores. Bought a MIB dragon on ebay for $100 BIN. I got a pair of Armani pants for $17 at NM outlet...the only one left and in my size. Got very lucky there. I'm so average it hurts...my shoe and clothing sizes seem to sell out 1st.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users