• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 04:34 PM

No, no, no! laugh.gif I'm the last person who would go to the seedy areas.

You guys are thinking about those naughty strip clubs -- aka gentlemen's club. Houston is the strip capitol of the US! laugh.gif We probably have more than Vegas. mad.gif I live in a major business town and all those "loney" men are on the hunt for naked women. Unfortunately, you can find these places everywhere and anywhere in the city including ordinary suburbs!

I'm talking about strip centers --- multipule retail stores next to each other in a boring building with a ugly parking lot in front. Usually, you find grocery stores, cheapie nail places, clothing stores, etc. Bob Dole was near Luther's BBQ. Not that exciting. tongue.gif

#17 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 06:22 PM

THANKS GREYHOUND YOU CLEARED THAT QUESTION UP VERY WELL biggrin.gif laugh.gif

THE NEXT TIME I GO SHOPPING WITH FRIENDS I AM GOING TO TELL THEM WE ARE GOING TO THE STRIP CENTER,IT WILL RAISE A FEW GOOD LAUGHS HERE IN ENGLAND wink.gif

REGARDS.......MARGARET.........

#18 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 12:36 AM

You all make me laugh! We call them strip malls one state over. laugh.gif laugh.gif
Mimi, you are our resident singer 'round here. What an honor to sing our national anthem.
KK

#19 P.E.Parry

P.E.Parry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 02:06 PM

How talented - to sing the National Anthem, Mimi. I am utterly in awe.

Spouse and I have met quite a few celebrities. As avid tennes players Gene and I belonged to some local private Miami clubs. There we played tennis with Art Carney, Tony Quinn, Anthony Ansara (he played indian parts in movies and at the time was married to Barbara Eden of I Dream of Jeannie) and Eva Gabor. After an evening tennis game with Art Carney his wife invited us up to their suite as she had baked brownies and made coffee for us. When playing mixed doubles with Eva Gabor one day she dropped her racquet and ran to courtside screaming "there's my other husband". While not meeting him we enjoyed watching her and Eddie Albert embrace. Tony Quinn asked me to entertain his little boy while he and Gene played men's doubles I wasn't a very good sitter as the child only spoke Spanish.

A friend was the talent agent who took care of all the stars that came into town to be quests on the Jackie Gleason show that was taped in Miami Beach. He introduced us to several of them; Donald O'Connor(very down to earth and pleasant), Barbara Eden, George Goebel, George Burns, Orson Bean, Groucho Marx are just some I can remember. Saw, but didn't meet, Tom Jones, Bing Crosby, Don Knotts, Tiny Tim. Cesar Romero sat down besides us at the club bar one evening and struck up a conversation with us. We invited him to dine with us but of course he had a previous engagement. I watched as the club tennis pro was giving a lesson to Johnny Carson. Afterwards I said hello to him as he was resting at poolside and he repied very pleasantly. Joe Namath asked our boy if he would like to have his picture taken with him. This is still one of his special treasures as is a picute of himself and Bob barker. Gene and I have a picture taken with Zsa Zsa Gabor at a cocktail pary hosted in her honor by another friend of ours.

June Taylor (the Jackie Gleason Show choreographer) attended the same art class as I and some other friends. She was nice and lots of fun with a very strong personality. She and the art instructor would enter into some heated discussions over her painting. When a local bank had a private showing of June's she invited us to the opening cocktail party and there we met Jackie Gleason.

The club pro was married to an ambassador's daughter and upon attending a Christmas party at their home met Beverly Sills. She was wonderful - talked with everyone and smiled that beautiful smile of hers all evening.

Well yeah - these are ooold timers, as are we. But what a lot of special memories.

#20 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 03:36 PM

Wow! ohmy.gif

#21 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 04:09 PM

Whoa, Phyllis! What an impressive list of stars. They may be old-timers, but they're all Hollywood legends and such interesting characters, too. Thanks for livening up a boring afternoon. biggrin.gif

#22 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 04:28 PM

Double WOW.

Ann

#23 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 08:42 PM

Great stories everyone!

Phyllis and Mimi I am impressed!! wink.gif

#24 mimi

mimi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 09:03 PM

WOW PHYLLIS!!! I am impressed.....what wonderful memories of such good times! Wish I had been there!

Everyone... this topic has been so much fun. I've enjoyed hearing of your individual adventures. Thanks Martha for "starting us up"! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Mimi

#25 P.E.Parry

P.E.Parry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 10:18 PM

IT WAS GREAT FUN, MIMI, and I too thank Martha for starting this and prompting me to remember all those fun times. We have a lot of hilarious stories from those clubs. Our favorite saying was "you meet the nicest people on the tennis court"
Phyllis

#26 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 09:50 PM

Wowza, Phyllis!
True Hollywood Legends! Sounds fun and exciting.
KK biggrin.gif

#27 Jeanette

Jeanette

Jeanette

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 04:29 PM

What interesting stories! I really had to think hard on this one, and the only story I can come up with was when I went to a Vince Gill concert a few years ago. I was in the front row with my girlfriend and we were both very excited to have such good seats. At the end of the concert, Vince walked toward us as if he were going to shake our hands when he walked up to the lady next to me who was waving a box of golf balls at him. He gladly took the golf balls and shook the woman's hand.

Now I know if I want to get his attention, I need to show up with a box of golf balls!!

Jeanette wink.gif

#28 Karin

Karin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 12:53 AM

This story is very typical of me. This was in 1988 and hiphop and rap music was the new hot thing. I used to go to THE rock club at that time and a hiphop band called Public Enemy was going to perform. I had no idea what they were like but it was new and apparently the thing to listen to. My sister and I went to the club real early since she wasn't of age and hence very nervous she wouldn't be let in. We were almost the only ones there and stepped right up to the bar. Some guys were standing there and I immediately thought: Oh no, they've got all the attires, baseball caps, blingbling, Adidas clothing, how ridiculous... And one of the guys started flirting with me... at that time of the evening... desperate or what!?! I was as cold as a freezer and made it very clear how ridiculous I thought they were. Well, you've probably already guessed that these guys were the band members.. I felt rather stupid when they showed up on the stage. Great concert though, I still think it is a great band. Obviously I regret that I didn't even talk to them. I have probably met a lot more well known people that I have treated the same way, I just never seem to recognize them.

Karin

#29 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 03:27 PM

Really laughing reading these posts! Mimi I am amazed at your story. That really takes alot of nerve to do what you did. Fantastic. And Greyhound with the Strip (joints). Margaret you won't be able to fool me with that one now!

Cannot match any of your encounters, but I did chase the celebrities whilst working in the M.East. Had to get interviews so I could write the stories. The most difficult person I met in this respect, was Sean Connery (James Bond). He was fed up giving interviews so suggested (in a nice way.....) I interview his wife, which I did in a taxi en route to the Sharjah Gold Souk. Gunther Sach's wife (who my French friends will no doubt know), was also with us. Anyway, in return for the interview with his wife, he let me have a picture taken of him for the front cover of one of the magazines I was writing for. Prince Hohenloe was the most lovely man to interview and for the Americans on the site, the Three Degrees were great! I did get into trouble for that interview by the Producer of a show they were doing as he did not give me permission to meet them.
But when you have to get a story, you cannot worry about things like that. There were other stars, but the first interview I ever had was with Mary Chipperfield. I asked her to read what I had written before going to press, but did not let on it was the first time for me......

The most exciting time was when I flew to the U.K. from the Middle East for the Rehearsal of the Royal Variety Show. I was lucky to get a free flight as a courier for DHL and thought it included the return flight, which it did not. So you could say that the money I received for the article went on the second part of my journey. Flew with Quantas, so I won't say anymore Sandra! tongue.gif

#30 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 05:26 PM

WOW JACKY, SEAN CONNERY.....WERE YOU SHAKEN AND STIRRED !!!!!!!!!! tongue.gif

MARGARET

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users