• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 06:58 AM

2cute's post about being hugged by Kirk Douglas made me think about the time I ran into John F. Kennedy, Jr. For many years, I was a meeting planner and did hotel site inspections throughout the U.S. and Canada. One year, about a dozen of us were touring the Four Seasons Hotel in Beverly Hills. The hotel's pool was on the rooftop so we all went to check it out, and who should be lounging by the pool in his swimming trunks but JFK, Jr. There was an audible buzz from the group as we passed by, and he looked up and smiled. This was many years ago when he would have been dating Darryl Hannah.

So tell me, who have you run into lately? biggrin.gif

#2 SINNETT

SINNETT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 07:20 AM

HI MARTHA, I HAVE TO SAY THAT IN MY PREVIOUS LIFE BACK IN UK I DID MEET A FEW PRETTY INFLUENTIAL PEOPLE.

BEING A "SUCCESSFUL BUSINESS WOMAN" I HAD A COUPLE OF YEARS OF BEING COURTED BY POLITICIANS, AND EVEN ENDED UP WITH PRIVATE MEETINGS WITH THE THEN CHANCELLOR OF THE EXCHEQUER AND THE PRIME MINISTER. ohmy.gif

OF COURSE THEY DIDN'T TAKE MY ADVICE AND PROMPTLY LOST THE NEXT ELECTION!!!!! huh.gif blink.gif wink.gif

HOWEVER IN MY PREVIOUS, PREVIOUS LIFE I DID MEET A CERTAIN PRINCE OF THE REALM - BUT THATS GUARDED BY THE OFFICIAL SECRETS ACT AND CAN'T BE TOLD FOR 50 YEARS rolleyes.gif

NOT BAD EH????

CAROLINE

#3 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 01:04 PM

This is an interesting topic cool.gif at first I couldn't think of any celebs until my brain kicked in. I was able to be on the set the the "Walton's" a blast from the past. That was interesting to watch and be on the set. Most recent would be politians. Right before September 11 the public could ride the Senate subway. I rode with Sen. Arlen Specter and his entourage. I must say he's quite a ladies man. I saw several other Senators who were well dressed and quite friendly. After 9/11 no more rides on the Senate subway, too bad. sad.gif
KK biggrin.gif

#4 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 01:07 PM

Hi Martha C, I must say your encounter with JFK, Jr. is the best.
KK biggrin.gif

#5 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 06:34 PM

Hmmm.... besides lots of tennis players I have meet lots and lots of people in bands. Some most of you wouldn't know.

My most famous person I have meet would be Michael Jackson in Walt Disney World, I shook his hand and took a photo with him, within minutes a crowd started forming and a car and guards showed up from nowhere and he was wisked away.

#6 mimi

mimi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 02:19 AM

O.K. Everyone.....A few years back, I was asked to sing the National Anthem at a Texas Ranger baseball game. I was excited and very nervous at the thought of singing in a stadium ohmy.gif ...acapella ohmy.gif ...and knowing that there would be about a 3 second delayed feedback. sad.gif Anyway, I put in my ear plugs and forged on. When I returned to my seat behind home plate, a gentleman across the aisle, stood up, walked over and graciously thanked me. It was George W. Bush....he was the owner of the Rangers at that time.

Wow... the things I did when I was younger!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

MImi

#7 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 08:15 AM

Mimi, I think it was George Bush who encountered the celebrity! wink.gif

#8 SINNETT

SINNETT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 09:56 AM

Mimi, I have to ask how come you were chosen to sing, are you a professional singer and should I know of you.

It would never have been me, I can clear a room in seconds if I start to sing!!! laugh.gif

Wow, Lisa, Michael Jackson. I absolutely loved him in the 80s, whenever I hear any of his Off the Wall music I am 20 years younger.

I know you are really into tennis and although I've never met any of the players I'll always remember watching John McEnroe when I was at Wimbledon in my former years - boy did he have something!

#9 mimi

mimi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 12:43 PM

Hi Caroline,

I was asked to sing for the game through an organization that was sponsoring the event that night. THis was after Rose Ann Barr's "performance" and everyone was being really careful. Now, they audition the performer and have them follow some guidelines.

I am certainly not a professional. My college major was in the Performing Arts/Voice. I do still sing tho and enjoy it very much. I have been asked to sing for other sporting events......but my nerves can't take it. I have great respect for those who stand out there facing thousands of fans to honor our Nation.

Mimi

#10 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 07:25 PM

Nonetheless, very impressive Mimi!!

I take it you didn't scream out the anthem then? laugh.gif

Seriously, I imagine your voice as a smooth southern Texan one. Very nice!

#11 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 03:38 PM

I coordinated a dinner that honored a former governor of Maryland and got my photo taken with him. Ok, it hardly compares to princes and presidents.... let me try again: I've seen lots of celebs in New York. For example, I once went to a play where I almost stepped on Dr. Ruth...I looked down, and there she was in front of me. Matthew Broderick was there, too. At a dim sum restaurant in Chinatown I sat at a table with Peggy Cass, a Broadway actress who was in "42nd Street."
Ar

#12 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 07:01 PM

Most of the "celebrities" I encountered live in Houston, TX. I didn't talk to any of them.

Hakeen Olajwan (sp?) - Rockets basketball player - I was taping a university class project years ago at UH's stadium. Him being there was a surprise. One of my classmates taped him running track (with his permission). All 3 of us got his autograph. I'm not a sports fan, so I was surprised he attended the same university as me.

"Mattress Mac" - owner of Gallery Furniture - Houstonians know that he makes silly commercials. My dad saw him jogging alongside a major road by himself.

Former Houston mayor Lee Brown - My husband & I flew on the same airplane with him to Baltimore. He sat in 1st class while we stayed in coach. I told my husband that I recognized him from his side profile. He didn't believe me until we saw him at baggage pickup.

Dave Ward - Chanel 13 anchor - Recently saw him at a restaurant. He sat directly behind me.

Not a local, but I saw Bob Dole at a strip center. He ran for president and spoke there -- basically, a small presidential rally that the news/radio advertised at the last minute. My husband + I happened to be near by. I took a few pictures and believe George W was there also.

#13 sprinkledoughnut

sprinkledoughnut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 07:19 PM

biggrin.gif The most famous person I have ever met was Dick Clarke, this was at a UK store opening of Krispy Kreme in Enfield. The problem was, that I kept telling everyone that's Dick Clarke and everyone was going who? I think after many years of watching TV whilst my parents took me on holidays in the States certain American Celebrities stuck in my head as a child. Over here nobody really new who he was, but I still had my picture taken with him and it came out really well, so that's my claim to fame. tongue.gif

#14 SINNETT

SINNETT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 03:22 AM

[FONT=Impact][SIZE=7][COLOR=blue]

GREYHOUND, YOUR POST REALLY INTRIGUES ME.

I THINK IT MAY BE SOMETHING LOST IN THE DIFFERENCES OF UK AND AMERICA, BUT TO ME A STRIP CENTER IS A PLACE IN A SEEDY AREA OF TOWN WHERE LADIES TAKE THEIR CLOTHING OFF. ohmy.gif

NOW THAT WOULDN,T SURPRISE ME SEEING POLITICIANS IN THAT TYPE OF PLACE, BUT WERE YOU "JUST PASSING"?????? laugh.gif biggrin.gif rolleyes.gif

#15 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 07:39 AM

COME ON NOW GREYHOUND, OWN UP.......JUST WHAT IS A STRIP CENTER ?

THE ONLY ONES I KNOW ARE IN THE DOWNTOWN AREA OF LAS VEGAS

HELLO SPRINKLEDOUGHNUT........ SO GOOD TO SEE ANOTHER BRIT ON THE BOARD

REGARDS.......MARGARET.......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users