ohmy.gif FROM EL??
PRETTY SUS.

#17 2cute4u2

2cute4u2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 02:32 PM

Its has to be second....to be incomplete like that...or damaged somehow due to harsh cleaning...Doesnt make much sense. dry.gif

#18 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 04:15 PM

It doesn't make ANY sense!! It's another example of EL's rubbish being sold on Ebay!!

Where did the seller get it from in the first place is the question!

How did they 'receive it like that'?

#19 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 04:57 PM

Very strange.

If you are against these items, please don't bid. If you don't care, then it doesn't matter. Either way, plenty of people are encouraging these sales whether they want to or not. ph34r.gif

#20 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 05:41 PM

Greyhound,

I hear what you are saying but for the uneducated buyer there is a problem because they may not know better. I was once contacted by someone telling me they purchased a solid for her mother who collected them and the buyer didn't think the solid looked right so she asked me. It turned out to be a dumpster solid (as I like to call them) so $$ was was wasted.

Estee Lauder does have a respondsibility to keep up the integrity of our solids, these damaged items should never be let out of where ever they are coming from.

I don't have anything against anyone wanting to buy them but I do have something against Estee Lauder letting them get in the hands of someone just taking advantage.

I am not sure on the legality of this but I would like it if EL would patrol eBay and have listings like this removed.

#21 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 12:39 AM

I AGREE!!!!

#22 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 01:38 AM

That's true.

However, some of the very people complaining about warehouse solids/compacts are the same ones buying them fairly often (ie collectors who know the difference opposed to the uneducated ones). Overall, I find irony concerning this topic. ohmy.gif
ph34r.gif

PS: I'm not talking about junk like this piano. But, multipules of the same solid/compact sold without boxes that don't have damage. The "good" warehouse stuff if you will.

#23 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 01:51 AM

This is a different topic entirely, but I don't know what you consider sellers who sell an endless supply of new EL compacts MIB way below retail? Are they warehouse sellers or? And...where and how do they get the items?

I bought compacts from an ebay seller like this. They truely sent me MIB compacts.

#24 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 03:44 AM

Yes, a touchy subject indeed. And again my main concerns are the people that don't know any better and that it has been going on for some time and still EL doesn't seem concerned enough to stop it.

Have I ever purchased a solid from a warehouse sale? Yes, I specifically did not get any of the GD solids this year (the first time ever) I also did not get the spring solids either because I know they would be on ebay for half the price just like every year and already they are showing up. Will a buy a solid without a box? Yes, if I don't have the solid at all then I will get it in the best condition I can find it and then if I get the chance I will purchase a better solid with perfume, label and box and switch out the other one. Have I ever purchased a damaged solid? Yes, I have a rollercoaster without the car, however I got it for $5. Why you ask? Just to see what the heck was going on with them and to have as an example to maybe one day show EL (actually EL did get the photo of it from me last year in Vegas.) I would not ever spend more than $5 because the solid is useless but if someone else wants it for whatever reason that is fine too, no problem.

I also buy solids sometimes to resell them myself, to keep items in the for sale area so that it is not always so static and also to help manage the cost of this site. I may also stock up on some of them (solids without boxes, multipules) for future contests or because I want to have some solids to sell in Vegas.

In the end it boils down to sales for EL, I think they will feel the effects of people waiting for them to surface on ebay and in the future produce less. If the damaged solids, solids without boxes or perfume from the warehouse sales and solids at the CCS were no longer available to the public than the only way to get them would be to pay full price, ultimatley that is what I as a collector want.

The way to tell where the solids MIB come from look at the sellers other items- if they are all cosmetic EL related than most likely they are coming from the warehouse sales (EL does sell them there MIB as well as without the box or perfume) Other solids MIB below retail may come from SA who get a store discount but remember most stores are not allowed to keep solids past January with exceptions like Saks or NM.

#25 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 09:52 AM

Good post Lisa.

I also waited to buy my solids this year. Why pay retail when if careful and you read the discription you can save alot by buying on ebay.

Like you I buy on ebay for a lot of different reasons. Example-I bought a marlin without a stand just to have for the fish tank for $10.

What I have a problem with is the sellers not telling the buyers that pieces are missing. I have no problem with folks buying the stuff on ebay as I do it myself but I (kind of) know what I am buying and bid accordingly. New to the hobby may buy a piece and be dissapointed or pay way to much.

IMHO I don't see how EL can continue marketing solids as they have in the past.

Retail sales are WAY down for the very reason we are discussing here.

To be a collectable the rules are simple-- Do not mass produce so they end up in warehouse sales or the trash, and keep the collectors happy( don't lie to their face).

Ann

#26 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 10:21 AM

Lisa and Ann, you are on target as usual. I only bought two solids from the winter collection and none from spring. I will probably buy the Vegas sign, because it will be harder to get than the others.

The truth is, EL doesn't care about collectibles, they just want to make money. So if collectors stop buying at retail price, their profit margin will be down. Maybe that will motivate EL to stop the warehouse sales. The three of us are already curtailing our spending... there must be others, too.
Ar

#27 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 11:40 AM

Lisa,
We could not agree more with your analysis and from now on will be very selective with what we buy at retail. Probably just the Harrods solids, as they have kept the productions nos. down on them, and a few others that we think might sell out.

We are super tired of buying solids and then seeing them a little later at less than retail on ebay. A good example is the Erte powders this year. They are already selling buy it now for way less than retail. Estee Lauder needs to get a handle on this problem or their sales on the solids (and powders) are going in the tank for good.

#28 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 11:48 AM

About the powders-- I have already told my SA( poor thing) I will never buy another powder compact retail.

The Erte as an example( .99 start price) and the new Vintage Holiday I just paid $45 retail (never again) and they are just 2 weeks later all over ebay MIB buy it now $19. mad.gif

VOODOO marketing. mad.gif mad.gif

Ann

#29 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 12:33 PM

Ann,

Hey, that was me who got the holiday vintage compact MIB on ebay for $19!!

#30 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 02:24 PM

You only got one of them. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

There were a bunch on ebay and still are. mad.gif

Ann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users