• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 07:59 PM

Wow Lyndell, that's pretty good - had to read it a few times as it went over my head the first time! sad.gif

Anyway, the price and tax all depends on the exchange rate as to how much US$ you bring in.

It has ranged between 50 cents in the dollar to 78 cents in the dollar over the past two years, so when our dollar value was low I had to pay, but when it was higher, I didn't have to pay (for items around US$250.00)

But I agree - it's still cheaper to buy them from the US (but not necessarily the UK).

#17 dante

dante

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 01:03 AM

Sorry for the confusion I created, regarding the duty sad.gif

In actual fact the duty concession has only increased on the goods that you carry with you into the country.

All the rates etc are explained on the Aust customs Website: customs.gov.au

Basically anything over $250 and you start paying especially if they don't come via the normal mail system ie freight company's like harrods use. I haven't paid on anything I have bought via post from the usa, only on stuff I've bought from harrods.

Dante smile.gif

#18 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 04:28 PM

Lucky you, mate! laugh.gif I've had to pay on stuff sent from the states a few times, but I haven't bought enough from Harrods directly to warrant duty . . . I pay for the overpriced ones on Ebay or from a capitalist seller to avoid it! dry.gif Go figure!

Strange, but true. unsure.gif

Anyway, if you buy the goods direct, then you don't get charged the VAT and then get charged the duty here . . . . it all works out similar, doesn't it?

Again - it's the exchange rate, I reckon!

#19 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 06:08 PM

Sorry, Sandra, but I thought if you bought from Harrods and you were overseas you didn't pay VAT! sad.gif
Am I wrong????? blink.gif

#20 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 06:19 PM

No - not at all, Nancy - that's what I said - you don't pay the VAT there, but you pay (our) customs duty tax here!

(I am calling your tax the VAT and our tax the duty). Sorry for the confusion.

Clear as mud now? laugh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users