19 replies to this topic

#1 perfumememory

perfumememory

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 06:56 PM

rolleyes.gif hi all,

I sell alot of solid perfume on and off eBay. I am always curious to know what is the price limit of a solid perfum in order not to get duty, tax and Vat in different county custom.

Most of the collectors request me to put a lower value in order to save on tax. However, we are always not sure how much. Because I am selling most from my own collections, I have the choice to put the value on it.

It will be good for the seller and the buyer to know exactly what is the value in order to save that extra $$.

In Singapore, all import tax is 5% for any product that exceeds USD250 in value.

#2 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 12:30 AM

I'm not 100% sure. I tried reading the US customs website before but got confused. Maybe other people know.

I think you can have up to $400 without being taxed. I bought 3 solids from Harrods and didn't get taxed. It was definitely over $400. I don't have any idea how much customs charge. They seem more concerned with alcohol, tobacco, and illegal drugs. I don't mind. tongue.gif

#3 Astrid

Astrid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 02:50 AM

Hi all,

As far as I remember it is a $50 limit for items shipped from Germany to the US. And it is 45 for items shipped to Germany from anywhere, and probably for other European countries except Switzerland, and maybe the UK (our friends from the Island perhaps know more).

I don't know how Harrods is able to send items of $400 without the addressee not being taxed.
Greyhound, do you still remember what was written on the customs label ?

If exceeding 45 we have to pay up to 17% custom and another 16% VAT, sad but true.

That's the reason why most people ask for a lower value. In my opinion it makes no sense to have an item send by insured mail because most sellers know how to wrap & pack a solid perfume carefully. It's more a matter of "receiving the item", therefore, I always ask to send the package by registered mail.

Astrid

#4 Erica

Erica

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 05:23 AM

The item over $95 (about 10,000 Yen) is charged in Japan. So I always ask people to declare the price lower than this price when they send me from overseas.
But I do not know how much (what %) is charged. rolleyes.gif

#5 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 05:32 PM

Here in the UK we pay VAT and customs on anything over 36 VAT is 17.5% not sure what the customs charge is though which is levied as well as the VAT. so it can be quite expensive.

#6 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 04:42 PM

Good news for Aussies!! The Australian Govt. has just more than doubled it's allowance for goods brought into the country!! biggrin.gif

Pity it didn't happen before the Harrods solids were released! sad.gif

#7 Jewels

Jewels

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 01:28 PM

From past experience whenever I get solids it is automatically taxed when the item is marked over $10. It is then taxed at 14% on the marked value and $5 handling fee.

Doesn't matter if the item is marked as a gift whenever I get them from ebay. I'm still charged the duty taxes. What is worse is that the box is opened by customs officials. ph34r.gif You can tell when you get that bright yellow tape on the box that says "opened by customs" in big black letters when you get it. It also depends on who is the custom examiner that day, if I'm lucky sometimes I don't have to pay duty at all. They must randomly pick the boxes that arrive customs.

Basically pretty sticky here in Canada. sad.gif

#8 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 08:45 PM

Jewels
What about if the package is registered? Those from the US Post must be signed for each time they change hands.

#9 dante

dante

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 10:37 PM

Unfortunately for us Aussies, although the allowance has now nearly doubled, if you go over that limit you will be required to pay the tax on the ENTIRE amount of the goods, not as before, on the bit you were over.

Dante

#10 Fee

Fee

Fee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 06:50 AM

Dante,
every time I have been charged customs duty and gst it has ALWAYS been on the full amount of the goods including postage! blink.gif

#11 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 04:03 PM

Yeah, ditto Fee - though only on the amount declared on the customs label for me(and therefore not the postage).

#12 Aussie Girl

Aussie Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 07:51 PM

Sandra, Fee, Dante - I can't remember if the Customs Duty is on the full amount or the amount over the allowance but the G.S.T. (10%) is on the total including goods, postage & packing i.e. Harrods charge a set fee of 30 pounds for packing & the G.S.T. is charged on that also. mad.gif mad.gif

Karen

#13 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 10:41 PM

Hmmm . . . . do you think the tax differs from state to state? I wouldn't have thought so, but it's possible!

Our govt. sure knows how to raise money, hey?!!? sad.gif

#14 Aussie Girl

Aussie Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 11:07 PM

It's the Australian Government that charges both the G.S.T & the Customs Duty so it would be the same in all states unless of course the individual states have a special extra tax. Victoria certainly doesn't but I don't know about the others. The more I think about it I am sure you paid duty on the amount of the item over the amount you could bring in ($400), not the entire amount but the G.S.T. was on absolutely everything, but it is all collected by the Australian Customs Dept.

Karen

#15 Lyndell

Lyndell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 07:10 AM

Hope I can clear this up for all the Aussies and anyone who happens to sell to us. It works like this:
1. Retail price in USA etc, ADD
2. Tax if applicable in USA state ADD
3. Freight to Australia TOTAL and CONVERT to $Au
4. Multiply by 1.05 to add in customs duty on the LOT
5. Total this then multiply by 1.1 to add in GST on the LOT
6. Total to get final price.
7. Depending on how your freight was done you may need to add on the cost of your freight company's completion of the paperwork for customs.

At one stage I paid over $800 Au in taxes and freight just to get my delivery of solids!! I have since worked a spreadsheet to calculate all costs prior to buying in the US - but guess what? Its still usually cheaper to buy in the US!! Generally the service is better also especially if you have a regular representative. At this rate the prices will remain high in Aust because the smaller the market the higher the prices (so says EL). Try to keep an eye out for specials such as the Bergdorf gift card or the Sak's 20% off and buy where US taxes are not applicable. These discounts add up to a lot more when you do the above calculations. You have a lower price on which to get charged customs, GST etc. smile.gif For cheaper prices closer to home try Asia: Singapore and Hong Kong get good prices I believe and the Singapore dollar is worth less than the Aussie dollar. (A couple of years ago a stage coach was only around $450 - 500Au when converted compared to around $800 in Sydney biggrin.gif ) And just in case you think you see a flaw in my calculations - yes we do pay GST on customs duty (a tax on a tax)!! ohmy.gif mad.gif

Good Luck!

Lyndell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users