• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#16 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 06:05 AM

Yeah - excellent game by both players - incredible pounding Andre got but still managed to grind a win!!

Pity Federer or Agassi will be knocked out next game! sad.gif

#17 pinkmoiree

pinkmoiree

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 07:05 AM

Just saw the great match Molik vs V. Williams! rolleyes.gif

As my husband demands for hot meals regardless the Australian Open, I had to run to and fro (I've no TV in my kitchen), but this helps to keep me in shape!

Don't be sad Americans, there is still hope for you because you have another Williams in petto laugh.gif

Madeleine

#18 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 03:53 PM

biggrin.gif Yeah - what a top game from Molik!! Bad luck to Venus, but she had her chances!!

And another good day for us Aussie's when Hewitt came back to beat Nadal!!

WOW!! smile.gif

#19 Aussie Girl

Aussie Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 09:02 PM

Yes, it was certainly a great day for Australian tennis - wins for both Hewitt & Molik with some really fantastic tennis. To-night should also be terrific
with the Federer - Agassi match, then to-morrow Molik & Davenport. For those that love the game it's been really good tennis.
Karen
smile.gif smile.gif

#20 pinkmoiree

pinkmoiree

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 05:38 AM

Wow - Roger at his best, almost unbelievable, 22 aces! rolleyes.gif

Though I would have liked a bit "more" tennis laugh.gif

(We agreed on Spaghetti today wink.gif )

Madeleine

#21 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 05:39 AM

Ouch! huh.gif Federer rules we guess. sad.gif

Congrats to the Swiss members. He (Federer) looks absolutely unbeatable. smile.gif

Congrats to two great performances by the Aussies. smile.gif Hewett and Nadal was a great match.

We haven't seen Molik at all before and boy is she something. The girl can hit the ball! Wow. ohmy.gif

Andre, we still love you. cool.gif

#22 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 12:50 PM

Wow, sounds like you guys stayed up for the match!

I set my mental alarm clock for 4 am but I missed by an hour and a half.

Congrats to Federer, he is truely a wonderful player.

I did get two sets of the Sharapova match, I was surprised she won because she looked kind of sluggish in the first set. I am happy for her too!

Who gonna win Serena or Maria?? That will be a grunt fest for sure!!!!

#23 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 04:04 PM

Going for Serena as I am 'put off' by the Sharapova shriek!! mad.gif I just can't understand why she has to do this even when she hits a slice - makes me BLURK!!

As far as the Davenport/ Molik match, well in all fairness, our girl had her but was DUPED by the line call and overrule on two occassions, both on game points and both INCORRECT!! Lindsay was right when she said she didn't know how she was standing there at the post match winners interview, but she must've been lucky.

However, being a good sport, I am rooting for Davenport to win the tournament now.

And how lucky was Lleyton to pull through his match?? Didn't want anyone to go to bed!! We all thought he had it after the first two sets. Good for Nalbandian to come back, but not enough in the third.

Hope he holds up for Roddick on Friday.

GO LLEYTON!! Do it for Australia!! biggrin.gif

#24 Aussie Girl

Aussie Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 09:59 PM

Sandra - The Hewitt - Nalbandian match certainly was an epic - sheer guts, determination & the odd ace getting Lleyton through in the finish! I'm sorry Molik didn't win particularly after Venus' ungracious remarks, but at least moving up into the world's top 10 womens players is a nice reward.

The Serena Williams - Maria Sharapova match has just begun. As it's another very hot, humid day here I feel Serena will probably have the edge. We will have to see so I am off to watch the T.V. now - too hot for me to sit in the Rod Laver arena.

Karen cool.gif

#25 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 10:07 PM

laugh.gif Ah, Karen, you're making everyone jealous being in Melbourne and preferring to watch it in your home rather than live!! What a choice!! smile.gif

But yes, I understand the humidity - it's killing me up here today too!!

Molik will be around for a while, I hope - she's got the guts and she'll get the glory!

She enjoyed herself, I'm sure - she might win the doubles.

#26 pinkmoiree

pinkmoiree

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 08:40 AM

Thank goodness it's over, I couldn't have stand it any longer! So Roger found his master in Safin, congratulation! smile.gif

Madeleine

#27 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 11:01 AM

WOW, what great matches!

I am only making it to the end of the second set with most and when I wake up with my dogs at 6 am I run down to my computer and check out the final scores.

Couldn't get over Molik lost to Davenport. Molik came out so strong and played great, we will all be seeing her around lots though.

What a great third set from Serena and Maria!! I was on the edge of my seat and so happy to see Serena pull it out.

Again couldn't believe Davenport pulled it off again against Dechy. Lindsay knows how to stay calm and reach deep down in her reserves, she must be so drained with all her long matches both singles and doubles.

So now.... Serena or Lindsay?? I would love to see them both win but I am going with Serena.

Roger..... sad.gif I didn't see this match, WOW, 4 1/2 hours congrats to Safin

Can't wait for tomorrow battle Hewitt vs. Roddick, Andy- love ya but it would be great for a Aussie to win, love hearing and seeing such excitment in the crowd!

Good luck to all players.

#28 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 02:46 PM

This has been one of the best tournaments in years! biggrin.gif Some great story lines and wonderful matches.

Serena did great in winning. Wonder what the deal was with Sharapovas' shrieking coming and going at the end of the match? Like our announcer said, it is irritating yet strangely disconcerting when she doesn't do it. We felt like she was just really beat by the heat and humidity (and Serenas' hanging in there so tough).

We're like Lisa in that we really like Andy but are kinda rooting for Lleyton, being he is in front of his home crowd and has played wonderfully so far. This match is a tossup as far as we can see. Don's in for another long night as they are showing this one live tonight and it starts at 2:30 am in Texas. ph34r.gif smile.gif

We think Serena will beat Lindsay and think that the mens' final is a tossup no matter who wins tonight. Safin is a streaky player so Andy or Lleyton will have a good chance. Still can't believe anyone beat Roger though. ohmy.gif Can you tell we're tennis fans? laugh.gif

#29 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 04:08 PM

Ha!! Another late night . . . . I saw the first 4 sets before I had to give up and go to bed - it wasn't that late, but it was the culmination of all the night matches I've been watching over the last 2 weeks or so . . . . and they were both playing so well that I knew it could go on forever!! When Safin won the tiebreak in the fourth after Federer had match point, I knew it could go either way!! Safin was playing so well and had Roger of the run for most of the match. The usually cool Federer showed his emotions quite frequently - many shots he normally makes missed, so he wasn't at his absolute best, although Safin really took it to him.

Can you believe Martina and Max had to play their mixed doubles match after Federer and Safin??? (I didn't stay up for it - does anyone know who won?)

Also, Molik plays Davenport in the Doubles final today!! Hopefully Molik will get one back on Davenport this time!!

And, well - Lleyton and Andy . . . . . who knows . . . . . it'll be a long game, I think!!

It's been one of the best tournments for a while!! Most of the seeds stayed so there were some terrific games and match ups!

#30 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 06:48 AM

WOW!! What a great match, Andy fought his heart out but couldn't overcome Hewitt.

Yeah for Lleyton, only one match to go!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users