#16 lauderlady

lauderlady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 05:59 PM

Thought I would tell you about my favorite reality t.v programme in England,
although it has now finished.
Strictly come dancing, had a celebrity learning to do ballroom and latin american dances with a professional dancer.
They had to learn 2 dances each week, one latin one ballroom.
There were 10 couples and each week, one couple got voted off.
The costumes were gorgeous and it has really started to bring good old fashioned dancing bang up to date biggrin.gif
I was totally addicted!
It made me want to turn into a Ginger Rogers, all I need is a Fred Astaire laugh.gif laugh.gif
Maggie cool.gif

#17 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 08:18 AM

I agree Maggie, that had me glued to my TV on a Saturday evening. I thought Aled Jones was so good and such a surprise too!
Wonder who they'll line up for the next one? Any suggestions? I hear they want Dennis from Eastenders to continue the challenge. He'd look good in some of those tight trousers cool.gif don't you think?

#18 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 05:38 PM

Maggie & Nancy,

That show does sound great! I love seeing couples dancing and the ladies have great costumes for ballroom dancing. wink.gif

#19 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 06:00 PM

The great thing about the show was that most of the celebrities were complete beginners and it was great to see them improve. At least, most of them did. Some of them were so wooden it was painful to watch. One such contestant was Diarmund Gavid who is one of my favourite TV gardeners but he was as stiff as one if his garden rakes. Some people are just born with no sense of timing or rhythm. It was also interesting as the comments from the judges could be so scathing and cutting. It was good for the female celebrities though as they got a ew outfit made for them every week. There was also an interactive that you could go on and one of the judges 'taught ' you a dance. (I've still got two left feet though)

#20 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 06:08 AM

Yeah - we had that over here, but it was called "Dancing with the Stars" (because we already had a show called "Strictly Dancing").

Both are fabulous shows with great music and dancing! smile.gif

#21 lauderlady

lauderlady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 02:49 PM

The follow up programme is going to be members of the public being taught to dance by a professional dancer.
Maybe I should apply laugh.gif laugh.gif
Just to come of the topic slightly it would make a lovely solid a dancing couple, after all we had a Flemenco dancer dry.gif
Regards
Maggie cool.gif

#22 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 01:56 PM

My favorite is Survivor, with Amazing Race a close second.

Ar

#23 SINNETT

SINNETT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 12:58 PM

[FONT=Impact][SIZE=7][COLOR=blue]

I THINK I AM LIVING A REALITY TV PROGRAMME, SOMETHING LIKE THE TRUMAN SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HAVE READ THE COMMENTS ABOUT THE BALLROOM DANCING AND MUST TELL YOU THAT LAST SATURDAY PAUL AND I WERE INVITED TO THE ANNUAL CHAMBER OF COMMERCE (OR THE FRENCH EQUIVALENT) DINNER DANCE.

IT STARTED AT 7.30 AND THE SIX PIECE BAND STRUCK UP - SECONDS LATER THE FLOOR WAS FULL OF COUPLES WITH AN AVERAGE AGE OF 70 HAVING THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME. THERE WERE TANGOS AND TWO STEPS, RHUMBAS AND SAMBAS AND WE FELT VERY LEFT OUT;

THE FIRST COURSE WAS SERVED AT 9, FOLLOWED BY ANOTHER WHIRL AROUND THE FLOOR.

NEXT CAME THE SOUP AND A LIVELY COUPLE OF LOCAL DANCES.

AFTER THE FOIE GRAS EVERYONE GOT UP FOR SOMETHING LIKE A VERY FAST POLKA - TALK ABOUT DIZZY!!!!

THE FISH WAS OUR WATERSHED, THEY SLOWED THE MUSIC ENOUGH FOR US TO FEEL CONFIDENT TO SHUFFLE AROUND WITH THE REST. I HASTEN TO SAY THAT THIS DID MERIT A ROUND OF APPLAUSE FROM OUR FRENCH FRIENDS!!!!!

ROAST BEEF CAME AND WENT AND SO DID THE CHEESE. DESSERT WAS DELIGHTFUL AS WAS YET ANOTHER FORAY AROUND THE DANCEFLOOR.

OUR EVENING WAS COMPLETE WHEN SURPRISE SURPRISE WE DIDN'T WIN ANYTHING IN THE RAFFLE.

IT WAS 2.30 WHEN WE LEFT AND IT LOOKED AS THOUGH EVERYONE ELSE WERE THERE FOR A FEW HOURS MORE.

IF THERE HAD BEEN CAMERAS AROUND I AM SURE EVERYONE WOULD HAVE ENJOYED WATCHING THAT PARTICULAR EPISODE.

AS FOR THE REST OF IT, WE HAVE DEFINITELY LIVED THROUGH OUR OWN VERSIONS OF SURVIVOR, CASTAWAY AND MANY OF THE OTHERS.

NOT SURE WHAT THIS YEAR HAS IN STORE, BUT LOTS MORE ADVENTURES I AM SURE.

LOVE
CAROLINE

#24 Nettie

Nettie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 03:33 PM

Caroline,

sounds like you had a wonderful evening.

I, too like watching Ballroom dancing the contestants make it look sooo easy and the ladies gowns always look very beautiful.

I guess I'm with the majority on reality shows as I enjoy wathching most of the same shows as everyone else.

#25 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 05:55 PM

HI CAROLINE.....

I THINK YOUR LIFE SHOULD BE MADE INTO A NEW REALITY TV PROGRAMME
YOUR POSTS ARE SO FUNNY biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

REGARDS......MARGARET.......

LET US KNOW WHEN YOU GET INVITED TO THE FRENCH VERSION OF POP IDOL. wink.gif

#26 Aussie Girl

Aussie Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 11:01 PM

Caroline - how I can relate to your experience!! Let me tell you what happened to us - Christmas-New Year 1999/2000 I wanted to go somewhere really special & memorable to celebrate the new millinium. I thought somewhere like Beijing, China or St. Petersburg in Russia but all our friends, even our travel agent thought we should go somewhere 'safe' so we choose Canada. We flew to Vancouver where I discovered Holt Renfrew & bought lots of E.L. solids not available in Australia, then did the trip through the Canadian Rocky mountains on the glass bubble-roof train, travelled the famous Icefields Parkway up to Banff where we had Christmas at the fairytale Banff Springs Hotel - all wonderful, then back to Vancouver for a 'special New Years Eve.'

Not knowing, the travel agent had booked us into a big function at the Vancouver Dock which was for 'The Society for the Preservation of Swing Bands' & their average age was 80!! Like your function they danced away the night, it was enclosed area with no windows, we didn't know a soul & as I had also been very sick I couldn't even eat the meal & had travelled half way around the world to be there. Total disaster - we saw no fireworks, couldn't dance, didn't eat - the only saving grace it so cold I was able to wear my beautiful new coat & my dear husband kept my glass full of lovely French champagne. A memorable millinium yes, but for all the wrong reasons. rolleyes.gif

Karen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users