• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 01:24 AM

I kind of like them both. Not sure if I'll run out and pay full retail though. Need to ponder this decision. I'm trying to control my spending. Solds cost too darn much! Off topic, but I really need to replace my shoes because my feet grew 1/2 size bigger all of a sudden! No weight gain or pregnancy either. rolleyes.gif

Prefer the oyster over the fish.

Orange is my least favorite color, yet I hoped the "Nemo" solid would be orange. Blue is my favorite color (especially turquoise) so can't complain there.

Would have loved to see a 2nd layer on the oyster like others suggested. Don't know why they didn't make it like the phone booth? It would be wonderful if you could display it half open revealing the pearl.

#17 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 12:31 PM

No "ching, ching" here, although I think the pearl inside the oyster is very imaginative. The fish leaves me cold. sad.gif

#18 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 07:35 PM

I'm with you Martha, I don't care for the fish- we already have fish! What about a starfish, seahorse or message in a bottle???

There are just so many objects not done but we seem to be getting lots of the same things like a fish and oyster, we have shells too!!

I would have loved the oyster if they made a third compartment for the perfume, I was hoping for this change when I first saw the oyster a bit back and suggested it to the EL reps.

How boring to display a closed oyster shell but just imagine how great it could have been to display the oyster open with the beautiful pearl exposed.

Three strikes for me so far sleep.gif

#19 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 09:59 PM

We seem to have to 2 Topics going for the new solids...I have no idea how it happened or where I should ask this question....so...I'll just pop it in here:

Question...does anyone know if the chemicals released from the perfume inside a closed solid would cause the white "Pearl" to discolor? Can we find out if Estee Lauder did a test on this? I don't want another solid to discolor...my Retriever is bathing in pink bubbles...

#20 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 10:39 PM

What a good question Michele! Would never have thought of that! Have just looked up some information re the colours:

''Pearls, believed by the ancients to be angels' tears falling into oyster shells in the sea....... Pearls vary in tint and each variation of colour has been given a meaning:
pure white is a symbol of idealism; black of philosophy; pink of beauty; grey of contemplation, and those with a golden tint have brought the name 'gem of wealth' to the pearl.''

So there is a chance if it does turn in colour, someone would find the transformation an extra dimension to this particular solid if the colour were acceptable! Just a thought! wink.gif

#21 perfumememory

perfumememory

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 01:56 AM

Dear Woody, do the fish has crystal on both side ?? I know Estee Lauder like to put crystals on one side only.. like the Marlin, English Enblem.

#22 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 07:14 AM

Hi Jacky - Am sure this will generate some responses given time and thought, and your answer was outstanding. If I do buy one, I would hope the "Pearl" would change to either grey or black...my favorite color pearls. Wouldn't that look outstanding inside the shell?

#23 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 07:34 AM

Michele, I did think your question was a very good one, so I did a search on "Pearls" and "Perfume" and "Discoloration," and found many links, all of which said you don't mix pearls with perfume due to discoloration. Here's one of the links I found:

http://rds.yahoo.com...earls/care.html

As many members suggested, it would have been nice if the solid had been layered (similar to the telephone booth) with the pearl in a separate compartment.

#24 klassicguy1

klassicguy1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 08:33 AM

To answer perfumemeory's question, the fish has rhinestones on one side only.....can't help out on Michele's question, sorry unsure.gif

#25 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 08:52 AM

Thanks, Martha. For as lovely as the Oyster appears, am going to pass on it. Between the possibility of the outside of the shell "turning" and the likelihood of the "Pearl" or whatever material it is changing colors, don't want to spend $175 on something I have to check on constantly to see what color it becomes. And the lighter enamels were a problem in the past.

(Ann...you have contacts at Lauder, yes? Could you please ask someone if they've done anything to improve the enameling process of the lighter compacts?)

Woody - What do we have you for??? laugh.gif

Good link, Martha. I didn't know that about real Pearls and perfume! Thanks so much. smile.gif smile.gif

#26 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 05:07 PM

Michele,

Please do not post on the site that you are being ignored...

Perhaps there was no response to your question because no one yet knows the answer.

#27 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 05:17 PM

Yeah - I think the possibility of the Pearl discolouring in the future is high, like others in the past, and Martha's research further proves it too (even though the pearl is obviously not real in the solid, so I'll be passing on that one as well.

Michele - ditto to what Lisa says . . . . because how could anyone ignore you? rolleyes.gif

#28 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 05:52 PM

Lisa - I realize it was late when I posted and there was no one around to answer anyway, so obviously I was joking. However, in the interest of keeping things going on an upbeat note, I do apologize. biggrin.gif

Sandra - You're funny...and you do keep things light! Thank you. smile.gif

Regarding the Oyster, am hoping Lauder has worked out some solution to the original problem...and we'll find out before we purchase one.

That's it! rolleyes.gif

#29 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 06:23 PM

Michele,

We discussed on the site about members from other countries not understanding the joking around and asked of members to please be respectful of the situation. If you feel the need to "joke" with other members please do it in a personal email.

Now we are off topic again and this what I don't want happening.

#30 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 10:06 PM

Maybe I just give members from other countries too much credit for spontaneity and humor.

And now that that's out of the way, we can get back to the Oyster!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users