• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Mark

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 09:01 PM

Altho some people do not believe in the strength and power of prayer- I do and hope that we as a small insignificant group of caring people can find a moment of solice and prayer for the awful nightmare that has happened in the Indonesian countries with this hellish tsunami that has hit man kind- As I watch the newsreels- I am in awe and can not believe this awful bad Hollywood type movie scene that has happened and it does not seem real- I am lucky enough to not have family or loved ones there- But I am praying for those infected with this tragedy I hope you all can join me

Reverend Mark

#2 Karin

Karin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 02:03 AM

Don't take this the wrong way but I would like to ask you to instead of sending prayers please give money to charitys supporting the millions of victims of this disaster! Here in Sweden the Red Cross has an emergency bank account and I am sure they will have that in other countries as well.

We have 1500 Swedish tourists missing in Thailand and the Swedish government is desperately trying to lease air planes to evacuate the about 10 000 surviving, but injured and traumatized, tourists. We are getting reports every day, every hour about their terrible experience and the magnitude of this horrible disaster.

Please help these poor countries: Indonesia, Sri Lanka, India and Thailand.

5 million people are reported to be in immediate need of food and fresh water!

Karin

#3 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 07:04 AM

Yes, a terrible tragedy indeed and our thoughts are with the survivors, missing and those who died.

For anyone looking to contribute I found some great information on MSNBC.com, it lists all agencies who are collecting aid.

#4 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 09:26 AM

Thank you for the site, Lisa. And Karin, my heart goes out to anyone and everyone injured or missing. This has to be the absolute worst natural disaster in recorded history...so many killed, so swiftly. A true nightmare. Prayers, of course, are always good. And hopefully there will be more survivors than expected, but money is needed badly.

This is a tragedy of epic proportions...if I can afford $225 for a solid, I can certainly donate to the relief effort. And God bless all those affected by this horrible disaster.

#5 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 04:25 PM

HI KARIN......

I WENT INTO TOWN TODAY AND ALL THE STORES SMALL AND LARGE HAVE BIG BUCKETS ON THEIR COUNTERS FOR PEOPLE TO DONATE MONEY.

EVERYONE WAS PUTTING LARGE AMOUNTS OF MONEY IN THEM......I FELT PROUD OF MY FELLOW BRITISH MEN.

I HOPE YOU HAVE NEWS OF YOUR MISSING PEOPLE SOON.

REGARDS.....MARGARET.......

#6 pirologists

pirologists

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 10:19 PM

I too beleive in the power of prayer, but have also made several small contributions to several charities in the names of my relatives that have passed on. I miss them horribly and cannoth fathom the loss of entire families, having to make a choice which child to try to save or the task of having to identify so many bodies. I cry each time I watch the the snipits I see on the computer. I can't watch the news in full, I would be thrown into a depression.
God Bless us all!

#7 ringmaster888

ringmaster888

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 01:53 PM

tongue.gif Yes, prayer is still needed as well as donations

CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT HOW TO DONATE thank you

#8 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 07:51 PM

My girlfriend's daughter arrived home on Wednesday with her husband. They had been staying for their honeymoon on one of the islands in the Maldives. Thank God they are fine and well and were lucky that the island on which they were staying was not too badly affected.

These islands are so small and dotted in the middle of the ocean. You can walk round the island in less than 20 minutes and across in less time. They are ring shaped atolls surrounded by a coral reef. I often used to think that one tidal wave could wash us all away.

I expect you are seeing the same images on your t.v's as we are here in the U.K. As Margaret mentioned, this has made a huge impact on us all here!

Karin I join with Margaret in her thoughts to you.

#9 Karin

Karin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 03:52 AM

As you may have gathered I am not religious and I do hope that I have not offended anyone with my "down to earth" approach to life. That was not my intention. The official number of missing Swedes is now 3559 and the only hope is that some may have made their own way back to Sweden without reporting it to the authorities. One good thing seems to have come out of this: A very strong bound seems to be built between the Swedes and the Thai people. In all this misery it is such a beautiful thing that two nations so far apart geografically and culturally are coming so close and I do believe that this bound will only become stronger in future.

Karin

#10 Charlotte

Charlotte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 03:57 AM

Karin.

my thought is near to you and to all Swedish people!

Charlotte

#11 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 11:35 AM

The public donations here in the UK now stands at 60m (10m yesterday alone).
It is interesting the public donations are higher than the governments!
We mustn't lose the momentum as it will take a long long time to get anywhere near normality. It will show in about 15 to 20 years time in some of the countries where there will be very small workforces due to the high number of children lost. There are some terrible stories coming out of these countries along with heartening stories. To lose a loved one is bad but I cannot imagine losing almost all of your family and your home in one day. I am sure I am not alone in feeling guilty about the excesses of Christmas. I gave money at my local bank and my husband spent ages on the phone to donate that way. The time it took proves that this has touched everyone and it is good to know people are giving so quickly. It doesn't need to be a lot but every penny counts. I know it made me feel less useless to just give money. I think it was Michele who said if she could spend $250 on a solid she could make a donation to this fund. At this time of year I suffer from 'siege syndrome' and my home is full of food and drink. It feels awful to watch these people who haven't even got clean drinking water.
I am making my new years resolution to give more to charities throughout the year. It makes you count your blessings.

#12 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 12:55 PM

Several months ago, I read a book entitled "Krakatoa," about the volcano that erupted off the coast of Java in 1883. Over 40,000 people lost their lives from the tsunami that followed. After reading about that catastrophe, I thought it would never happen again because of the sophisticated warning systems that are surely now in place.

Unfortunately, there was no warning system in place for a 9.0+ earthquake under the ocean floor with with waves traveling at 500 miles per hour. The devastation, loss and pain of the victims is almost beyond comprehension. I feel so helpless, but can give prayers and offer financial support. We should all count our blessings, each and every one.

#13 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 06:54 PM

Yeah - just incredible the amount of lives lost in one day by the power of Mother Nature! We have all been watching the images of the devastation and are just totally shocked at it all like the rest of you.

The outpouring of money to the relief effort is amazing - and yes - the public donates much more than the governments and businesses - truly terrific and gives hope to faith in human kind.

Tragic events make the world come closer together, but I suspect that there has been something going on that has yet to come of light that makes the earth 'quake' and move, causing all this tragedy.

What is going on underwater??

Just before the Christmas, many many whales headed south (in fear, we believe) and beached themselves in Tasmania. This was the warning for something happening that we could not understand then.

I wonder if Nuclear Bomb testing has been still going on without the general public knowing. This was happening in the Pacific not too many years ago and was promised to be stopped . . . . . but how do we know it wasn't taken somewhere else?

I just wonder if mankind has caused the earth to react. We must take more care of it so it is gentler to us in the future.

#14 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 07:33 PM

Sandra it is really strange how the whales beach themselves and whenever we hear of this, it something that is unexplainable. I have never heard anyone put your theory forward and I have never thought of this myself. I must admit it is very thought provoking!

#15 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 09:11 AM

SANDRA......... I AGREE WITH YOU. WE ABUSE OUR MOTHER EARTH MOSTLY FOR PROFIT I'M ASHAMED TO SAY, I THINK ALL THAT HAS HAPPENED IN THE LAST WEEK OR SO IS PART OF A LARGER STORY THAT HAS YET TO COME TO LIGHT.

WILL WE EVER LEARN sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

REGARDS.....MARGARET

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users