Photo

2005 Enchanting Pagoda

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

Poll: Thoughts on the 2005 Jay Strongwater Enchanted Pagoda solid

Thoughts on the 2005 Jay Strongwater Enchanted Pagoda solid

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 07:58 PM

You're too funny, Jacky. smile.gif

Now please do not shoot me down in flames

No one's going to shoot anyone down in flames for an opinion. In fact, yours is yet another reason for Pagoda's. Yes, they are Temples of Worship also. That's where the Buddhist element comes into play.

But I agree with you 100% (now that you mentioned it)...this one does have a spiritual interpretation in it's presentation...very peaceful to the eye...now I love it even more. Have turned mine to the angle of one of Lisa's photos with the door more to the right...looks sensational! It's a WoW! rolleyes.gif

As far as "Blingy" goes, there's just enough to keep everyone happy...not overdone...understated elegance. Am extremely happy with it...hope you see one in person...you'll understand it better. And it's a piece you have to understand to appreciate...sort of grows on you...nicely.

Happy New Year, Jacky, and everyone else....

#32 Denise

Denise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 04:01 PM

Jacky, once again, you make me laugh! I'm not going to shoot you down in flames.... laugh.gif laugh.gif

Interesting thought regarding the Pagoda as a Temple of Worship, puts a new perspective on this Solid.

Anyway, I think the Pagoda is fantastic! Compared to the other solids, this one is very different and I happen to love the oriental theme. I wish there were more Oriental Solids.

I also think that it's great that everyone has different opinions because if everyone liked the same Solid, what a boring world this would be. huh.gif

Happy New Year to Everyone!
Denise

#33 Erica

Erica

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 08:12 AM

Happy New Year, everyone!

Michele, your 'report' is very interesting as I have never known about the Pagoda that much. Thank you so much.

Jacqueline, you are right that there is a number of Pagoda in Japan, too.

The pictures shown here are all beautiful. And thank you everyone to teach me a lot of things. I'll still be a student this year. biggrin.gif

Regards.

#34 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 08:37 PM

Hi everybody - I'm a little behind to the Pagoda story since I have had a break from the computer over the festive season . . . .

It was all good reading though folks, especially Michele's info . . . . I can see she's really getting into it. The photos are great and by looking at them, I'd have to agree with Jack that it seems very un-Strongwater-ish. I wouldn't have picked it as one of his either.

Well, I guess it's a case of the size for price that counts, eh? I like it, but I don't like it at US$225.00.

#35 Aussie Girl

Aussie Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 08:29 PM

smile.gif Yes, I think I like the Enchanting Pagoda, although I find it's always difficult to judge until one sees it but like Denise I like all things Oriental - in fact my house is furnished with Asian antiques - furniture, china & paintings so I'm sure I will probably love it. I have one on order and hope to see it end of January - can I vote again then?

Meanwhile I wish everyone a very HAPPY NEW YEAR

Karen

#36 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 12:55 PM

Have been checking the "polls"...they are indeed interesting. But how many of the "pollsters" actually have this solid? (Is that a word.) blink.gif

Regardless, think back to the "Imperial Princess" and the "Foo Dog." My first impressions were: "What was she thinking?" (Estee Lauder) ohmy.gif To me, at that time, they were just plain horrid. Today, am very sad I did not buy them as I cannot afford them at the prices on eBay...or anywhere else! sad.gif

As far as the Pagoda not being "Strongwater-esque"...in years to come I don't believe that will be a factor in it's beauty. People will say (and this is MHO)..."What a gorgeous piece....Oh...it's made by Strongwater for Estee Lauder? That's nice." Maybe I'm just not as concerned anymore with Labels as I was when I was younger...as long as it's meaningful (and this is certainly meaningful to me) and lovely, I'll continue to see the beauty in the "Enchanted Pagoda." It truly is Enchanting...

#37 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 01:22 PM

Michele,

I just received the Pagoda, and wish now that I had voted "I love it" rather than "I like it." It is, IMO, one of the loveliest pieces to come out in a long while. I've placed it on my international shelf next to the Chinese Junk, and it certainly stands out among the others (including the Taj Mahal). I agree with you that it will become a treasured solid.

#38 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 01:33 PM

Am really looking forward to seeing this solid . Like the Lion/Crown which I absolutely love, this one may also fit the bill! In monetary terms the Lion/Crown was more expensive as it works out at over $300. With this in mind, can anyone tell me how many of the Pagoda have been released?

smile.gif

#39 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 01:35 PM

Hi Martha -

Am thrilled you feel the same way I do...this is one solid you just cannot judge fairly from a photo alone. You'll find yourself looking at it every time you pass it...it just has a certain mystique to it, doesn't it?

Again, in years to come, those who do not have it will regret it. And many who voted negatively will want to cast their vote again once they purchase it or see it in "real life." But that's only IMHO!

Take care, Martha, and enjoy your new "Enchanting Pagoda"...it's a Treasure of the Orient for sure.

Hi Jacky - Am afraid I've probably "worn out my welcome" by now, so have added this on sort of as a post script...I don't believe this is an "Exclusive" so the number remains to be seen...I don't believe there will be many left over for warehouse sales or CC stores, so I personally wouldn't hold my breath waiting for sales or discounts, regardless of how many are produced. Again, just MHO! (Lord, I'm so darn humble it's disgusting! laugh.gif )

Edited by Michele, 05 January 2005 - 05:41 PM.

#40 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 05:48 PM

laugh.gif You're just too bloody funny, Michele!! laugh.gif

#41 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 05:59 PM

laugh.gif And probably in a lot of trouble right about now! laugh.gif

#42 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 06:40 PM

laugh.gif I noticed your writing is small when you're in trouble or writing controversial things!! laugh.gif

You may as well write it big and bold as brass since most people here read the fine print!! laugh.gif

I think Lisa has been smart to put the polls here as more people seem to take an interest and actually vote!! So well done, Lisa - good thinking! smile.gif

It also seems like people may change their minds (God forbid!) when they actually see the solid 'in person' rather than view it on their screens or in a catalogue. So again Michele - you are right to point this out. Shame on you Martha for not loving it in the first place!! laugh.gif

#43 Lori B

Lori B

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 08:57 PM

Michele - Not sure how many people that voted have this solid, but if only the people who had it voted the results would be somewhat skewed towards liking it as people who hate or don't like it (or even think it is just ok) probably won't purchase it (although it seems the "early birds" biggrin.gif are purchasing site unseen). I voted and do not have it yet - just went by the photos, and based on these photos will not be purchasing it - hope my vote still matters. It is a great solid, just not my taste (and price!).

Sounds like many that have received it love it - and for those that do, this is wonderful - enjoy it!! And I am loving the great turnout on the votes!!

Lori

#44 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 10:18 PM

I for one voted "I don't like it" and do have the solid (hence the photos) I am sticking to my opinion and the solid is still in the box. I purchased sight unseen only because of the JS name, I will keep it but like I said it's still in the box and I did use my $50 reward towards it so paying $175 is better than full price but I think the lack of detail and use of crystals this solid should have been priced in the $150 range.

I think a $225 solid should be highly detailed like everyone of Jay's other pieces.

For those of you that like and love it- that is great.

#45 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 06:55 PM

Take a look at Michele's picture which features the Pagoda in the Members Photo Section! It really shows the Pagoda in a different light (more ways than one). I am really interested in seeing this one as there are so many differing opinions!

Thanks for your pix Michele!

smile.gif

Cannot vote until then!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users