Photo

2005 Enchanting Pagoda

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

Poll: Thoughts on the 2005 Jay Strongwater Enchanted Pagoda solid

Thoughts on the 2005 Jay Strongwater Enchanted Pagoda solid

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 01:05 AM

Whether we like the Pagoda or not seems irrelevant...the fact is, like Lisa, I've been checking out google and found some really interesting points. For instance, the photo Lisa has posted is a Pagoda called a ting or one-story Pagoda. A two-story Pagoda (the Strongwater one) would be considered a ge or two-storied pavilion. Each Pagoda has it's own distinct quality of architecture, depending on whether it was built as a Tomb, usually for a Buddhist Monk; or it could have been a Temple...filled with jade buddha's and gold. The fact is, there are many, many reasons for Pagoda's. They originated in India and sort of migrated into China during the Qing Dynasty. In sanscrit, Pagoda meant "Tomb." In China, the Pagoda was actually a symbol of Buddhism.

Actually found a photo of our fair City's Pagoda on the web...the structure was built here...only the bell came from Japan...it was a gift as a Thank You from some Japanese dignitaries who visited here in the 1950's. Personally, I think a simple Thank You Card would have been sufficient, but...

user posted image

This will take me weeks to absorb, but I have to study it. To think...we've had a Pagoda in our midst for decades and I never did much more than run up and down the old wooden stairs to the bell tower, try to jimmy the locks on the old rooms (that no one has ever been allowed in), and look out over the city from the top level (7 stories...not 10...hey, I was little...it looked a lot bigger to me then!)

One other point I've learned is that the Pagoda comes from the Chinoserie period, which is part of the terminology of many Strongwater pieces.

Must get some sleep...will get back to this tomorrow...all I know is that I now want to learn more about Pagoda's....have been carrying my Strongwater replica most of the night from room to room...don't want to put it down. Very substantial piece and well worth whatever it costs, assuming it wasn't a gift from Lauder. laugh.gif

'nite all....
user posted image

#17 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 09:40 AM

Finally put my Pagoda in my small vitrine...it just fits front to back. It actually banged into the mirror on the back when I tried to push it in a little so I could close the door. (I put it beside my San Francisco Trolley to sort of represent Chinatown. )ohmy.gif So yes...it's one of the larger solids made, at least in terms of width and depth.

As far as it not being the same as the one he created for his regular line, I think we'd all be disappointed if it was a solid in duplicate of an already created piece. Mr. Strongwater showed great creativity by giving this solid it's own unique style.

Totally majestic colors! Still love, love, love it! wub.gif

#18 perfumememory

perfumememory

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 10:15 AM

For a chinese, my impressions of Pagoda is a tall mutil- lever ( usually 9 level )Buddhist tower. This looks like chinese garden pavilion.

#19 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 04:09 PM

HI MICHELE smile.gif smile.gif

I THOUGHT THAT THERE WAS ONLY ONE SORT OF PAGODA, WHAT INTERESTING READING YOUR POST MADE, I LOVE THE DEEP RICH COLOUR ON THE STRONGWATER BUT STILL NOT SURE ABOUT THE SHAPE.

REGARDS.....MARGARET.......

#20 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 08:25 PM

First off, wonderful pictures Lisa. smile.gif

We love the colors and especially like the blue stone on top. It is a nice focal point that draws the eye up naturally. We love all things oriental and every time we go to Dallas we have to go to the Japanese gardens in Ft. Worth. They are beautiful and have several buildings that have this look (the pagoda).

However, like Lisa, we would prefer our solids to be of the smaller variety. The big ones just don't appeal to us as much. We do think this one is a have to have, though. The combination of the subject and the fact that it is Jays' design makes it one we can't resist. (Come to think of it, our resistance has been broken for a while), ph34r.gif

Till we see it in person we won't be able to vote as that always makes soooo much difference. We are excited though, A new solid, yaaaay wub.gif

#21 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 11:48 PM

Dear Don & Margaret - Try to look at it this way...it's BIG for a solid...but SMALL for a Pagoda! laugh.gif Best of both worlds! rolleyes.gif

#22 Jack

Jack

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 12:37 AM

I don't know, there's something about this one. It just doesn't look "Strongwater-esque" to me. Jay's designs usually have so much more detail. You can usually tell his work a mile away, but I wouldn't pick this out of a lineup as being a Strongwater.

#23 Gigi

Gigi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 01:42 AM

Last week when it was posted that Micky at the EL store in New York had the Pagoda's in, I phoned the EL store in Las Vegas to see if they had their shipment in. They did not, but I found out today Vegas did receive them on Wednesday, Dec. 29th. I wanted to see how close both EL stores get their shipments in relation to each other.

I will get this solid Pagoda. I feel its an unusual item which has never been done before. Its not a variation of say a cat, fish, bird or flower. I do agree with Lisa more detail would have been nice on the windows and door. But along with more detail, I feel the price of this solid would have gone up. I would have not have paid anymore for this item. I agree with Jack it doesn't look like a Strongwater piece. However, to me as a collector this is a good thing to have a different piece made by Jay that doen't fit into his usual designs which I dearly love as well.

Thank you Lisa and Michele for your wonderful pictures and additional research. I have learned so much about Pagoda's these past two days. This is another reason of why this board is very good to belong to...we learn about everything. biggrin.gif

Gigi

#24 lauderlady

lauderlady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 07:34 AM

I am really surprised, this is not more Blingy!!
I had made up my mind to buy this as soon as I heard about it.
Having seen the pictures (although great pictures) I don't like it much.
I have a Strongwater Pagoda clock which is beautiful, this is nothing like it.
I think this is the first solid in recent years I don't like sad.gif
It would have been better with somebody actually standing or kneeling at the door.
Maybe Mr Strongwater was having a bad day.
JMHO.
Happy New Year everybody biggrin.gif
Maggie cool.gif

#25 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 11:06 AM

Good Morning, One and All! And Happy New Year's Eve! biggrin.gif Perfumememory...when is the Chinese New Year? If this is the Year of the Rabbit, I can put my Ivory Rabbit next to my Pagoda. smile.gif

Maggie - That's another great feature of this site...we can all have different opinions...and it's ok. It's not criticism, it's debate.

Margaret - I truly believe that once you see the Pagoda, you'll really like it. At least, I hope you do. Am also glad someone actually reads these posts.

Jack - In a way, you're right. It doesn't have the Strongwater flavor as much as his others, but his others may have had too many problems in design vs. the finished product. I think possibly this time he was trying to think "solid" rather than "art form" alone, and tried to combine the two. The rich, exquisite result is our new Pagoda. And Gigi's absolutely right...more detail would have meant more money. As it is, we're getting much more than if it were just a regular Strongwater piece. You really have to see it to appreciate it.

The Pagoda Clock is truly a work of art, but not feasible as a solid. The Pagoda trinket box is pretty, but IMHO, gawdy. The roof points are too turned up, whereas if you look at Lisa's photo's of the solid, you can see the slightest raising of the edges of each point. (Am still so impressed by your photos!) Am not sure if it's an optical illusion created by the beautiful gold painting of the edges, or if it's designed that way.

There's only one part I'm trying to like...the blue cabachon on the top. Would rather have a gold ball or a "bling" up there, but again, only my opinion. To each his own.

Again, not criticism...just different opinions. And that's a good thing! smile.gif

#26 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 11:22 AM

HI MICHELE......

AND A HAPPY NEW YEARS EVE TO YOU TO. ITS 4-15 IN THE AFTERNOON IN ENGLAND AND A NEW YEAR IS FAST APPROACHING ( CHINESE FOR DINNER TONIGHT )

MAY I WISH YOU ALL FAR AND WIDE A VERY VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR

MARGARET...... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

#27 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 11:33 AM

Hello Margaret -

It's only 11:30 a.m. here so I still have time to make the phone calls and finish up the menu...Chinese tonight, hey? Think how pretty a Pagoda Solid would be on your table! laugh.gif

Seriously, have a Wonderful New Year...may all your Solid wishes come true. smile.gif

#28 perfumememory

perfumememory

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 12:05 PM

Dear Michele,

Chinese New Year is on 9 February 2005 . This coming year is the Year of Rooster..

I am impressed with Estee Lauder, an american company, is doing something about it as well. Like the Year of Rooster Compact Powder and Judith Leiber Rooster solid perfume.

Happy New Year 2005 to all the collectors in the world...

PS: is Year of Rooster compact selling in States?? How much is it? Anyone looking for Year of Rooster compact can contact me.

#29 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 12:15 PM

Dear Perfumememory -

Thank you for the information...we can have another celebration on February 9th! biggrin.gif I do like the Leiber Rooster so it will have to be beside the Pagoda! No Bunny....hmmmm....sigh.....

Haven't seen the Rooster compact anywhere but eBay...I did think it was rather sharp. Must wait until I get over "solid sticker shock"...will contact you about the Powder Compact in the near future. It is nice that EL recognized it...I'm impressed.

And to ALL members, wherever you live, a Prosperous, Healthy, Happy New Year to One and All!

#30 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 06:35 PM

Hello Everyone, and a Very Happy, Peaceful, Healthy and Prosperous New Year to one and all!

Now please do not shoot me down in flames, but..............isn't the Pagoda a Temple of Worship? As such I think it would be inappropriate for it to be too blingy! Mind you, I have seen Pagodas in the Far East and they have been very brightly coloured. I have seen them in Japan (Erica please confirm that my memory is serving me correctly) and they were more subtle, as the pictures of the Pagoda here. If J.Strongwater designed the Pagoda solid with a spiritual interpretation, then I would imagine he wished for something a little more quiet and reflective in its interpretation. I am sure it will go well with my buddha collection!

I hope I will appreciate it as much as Michele but at the same time, I think it is quite expensive and normally the solids when they are released over here, are double the price!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users