• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 SINNETT

SINNETT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 01:07 PM

HELLO EVERYONE AND WITH THE ARRIVAL OF THE HOLIDAY SEASON I THOUGHT WE COULD SEE HOW WE TRY AND MAKE THINGS BETTER.

YESTERDAY WAS PRETTY DISASTEROUS

WE HAVE BEEN TRYING TO LOOK AFTER A CAT WHICH HAS NOT HAD A GOOD LIFE. EVERY TIME WE OPEN OUR DOOR HE RUNS INTO THE CHALET AND EATS WHATEVER FOOD OUR TWO HAVE LEFT. BASICALLY HE IS A REALLY AFFECTIONATE CAT WHO NEEDS SOME REAL TLC.

OVER THE PAST FEW DAYS WE HAVE TAKEN HIM TO ONE SIDE AND FED HIM ON HIS OWN TWICE A DAY TO LET HIM KNOW HE CAN HAVE FOOD FROM US. WE HOPE THIS WILL CALM HIM DOWN AND HE WILL NOT BE SO DISRUPTIVE TO OUR TWO.

EVERYTHING HAS BEEN GOING GREAT, HE HAS EVEN COME ON TO THE BED AND CURLED UP FOR A SNOOZE ALONGSIDE US.

HOWEVER AFTER OUR TWO WENT OUT YESTERDAY JUST BEFORE 7AM HE CAME IN. IT WAS STILL DARK SO I GOT BACK INTO BED AND TURNED OFF THE LIGHT. A FEW MINUTES LATER HE JUMPED ON THE BED AND SAT ON MY LEG. THEN THERE WAS A FUNNY WARM FEELING!!!!

YES HE HAD WET THE BED, INCLUDING THE DUVET AND MATRESS.

WE VERY QUICKLY GOT UP, THREW THE LINEN IN THE WASHER AND THE MATRESS OUTSIDE.

I THEN SPENT THE BEST PART OF 500 POUNDS ON A NEW BED

THE CAT IS STILL DESPERATE TO GET IN AND WE ARE DESPERATE TO KEEP HIM OUT!!!!!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

CAROLINE

#2 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 04:44 PM

laugh.gif My commiserations. However, that's the consequences of trying to be 'too nice' to your pet!! Once they are in the bed, they think they own it and it will never be yours again. Maybe you should have introduced it to kitty litter instead!! laugh.gif

Anyway, that doesn't help you . . . it's a shame that cats don't think like dogs - it that way your other cats could show the new one who's boss and how things are done around the house, and then beat him up for you if he gets out of line.

Well, I suggest you keep on with the newie and love him as you are - I hope that he gets used to his new surroundings soon and behaves.

Meanwhile you have to work on being cruel to be kind, it seems!! Harsh I know, but will save you thousands in duvets.

#3 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 05:09 PM

Here's my good deed that backfired. Last summer, my boss and his family were staying at their mountain house for the weekend. He and his wife had been asked out to dinner and a play on Friday evening, but were not going to be able to go because her parents were not arriving until 7:00 p.m. and they couldn't leave the children home alone. I just happened to be house-sitting for some friends a few miles away, so I volunteered to stay with the kids (brother and sister) until their grandparents arrived.

The first thing out of the kids' mouth, after their parents left, was "We've never had a babysitter as old as you are!" And then all hell broke loose. Pillows are flying everywhere, these kids are chasing one another all through the house, up and down the stairs, tackling and dive-bombing each other with their bodies, totally out of control, and all I'm seeing is next morning's headlines, "Babysitter watches as brother and sister kill one another." So, I say out loud, "Would anyone like to hear a story?"

They sat entranced while I made up story after story, and all the time I'm thinking where are the grandparents? My throat is getting hoarse and I can tell the kids are getting restless again, so I suggest they play an alphabet game where they make letters using the shape of their bodies. I think this is a brilliant idea since they'll have to go into all types of contortions and this will surely drain the energy from their little bodies. We go through all the capital letters and then the smaller case letters. They love it, but they're still not tired.

"Okay, let's play hide and seek," I suggest, and out the door they ran. I had meant inside the house!!! sad.gif The house hangs off a side of a mountain with huge boulders and stairsteps descending a quarter of a mile down to a rocky creek. The kids are nowhere to be found. Headlines, "Babysitter allows children to fall off side of mountain." I scramble down the stairsteps in search of the children. I get to the bottom, and the children are at the top of the stairs laughing down at me. So I start the long climb back up the stairsteps. I'm half way up, and I'm thinking I'm going to have a heart attack.

When I finally get back into the house, I collapse onto the sofa only to have to get up again to answer the phone. It's the grandparents saying they are so sorry, but they have been delayed and won't be arriving until the next day! When the kids hear this, they both start crying and I spend the next half hour trying to console them.

By now, it's close to midnight, so I put them into their pajamas and tuck them into their beds. When their parents get home about a half hour later, both children are sound asleep, curled up in their beds like a couple of angels.

#4 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 05:36 PM

Caroline you have our sympathy. We've gone through the same thing with a pet and our bed before. mad.gif

Now, even though the pets aren't allowed on any beds in the house, we have taken the precaution of putting a waterproof sheet on all the mattresses in the house before we make them up. That way the worst that can happen is ruining a bedspread or sheets. Mattresses are way too expensive to be replacing.

We understand why a lot of people with pets also tile the floors in their houses. smile.gif

Martha, sounds like a good deed backfired bigtime on you. sad.gif Grandparents should always be allowed to hand the kids back at the first sign of trouble. Golden rule no. 1. biggrin.gif

#5 Denise

Denise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 06:06 PM

Hi Caroline,

Sorry to hear about your troubles with this Cat. You mentioned that this Cat is a "he", so I wondered if he is "spraying". I don't know the French word for this. It's when a Male Cat is not "fixed" at an early age and feels territorial, he wants the house to himself. If you want to keep him, I would take him to an Animal Doctor to find out if he can have the simple operation.

Martha, wow, what a nightmare for you! I would have seen Headlines too besides the color RED! It figures that by the time the parents came home, the kids were fast asleep.

I have done many things which backfired on me too, but the list is too long to post!! ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Denise

#6 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 06:37 PM

HI CAROLINE.......

I HAVE KEPT CATS MOST OF MY LIFE AND I THINK THAT DENISE IS SPOT ON WITH HER ANSWER. YOUR LITTLE STRAY CAT IS MARKING HIS TERRITORY ( FEMALE CATS WILL ALSO DO IT ) PERHAPS YOUR LITTLE CAT HAS NEVER LIVED IN A HOUSE BEFORE.

NICE TO SEE YOU POSTING, LET US KNOW HOW YOU GET ON

REGARDS.....MAGARET..... smile.gif smile.gif

#7 Denise

Denise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 07:04 PM

Caroline,

You may want to read the attached Link about Cats. I grew up with Siamese Cats and I remember some of the problems:

Here is the Article:

Cat Spraying

Denise

#8 favoritegram

favoritegram

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 07:08 PM

Martha, boy can I commiserate with you only difference is this happens ocassionally at my House with my 2 Grandsons, LOL. Kind of puts you at the end or your rope. I want to share a truisim I have been told over and over "No good deed goes unpunished", thinks about it. Lainey

#9 SINNETT

SINNETT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 04:38 AM

HI EVERYONE AND THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES;

THE CAT IN QUESTION WAS OWNED BY A PART TIME NEIGHBOUR WHO BELIEVES THAT LIFE SHOULD BE AS IT WAS A COUPLE OF HUNDRES YEARS AGO.

THE CAT WAS NEVER FED (HAD TO CATCH HIS OWN) AND NEVER ALLOWED IN THE HOUSE. IN FACT WHY EVEN HAVE ONE. THE OWNER SPENDS A COUPLE OF DAYS HERE THEN LEAVES FOR A WEEK OR SO - NO WONDER THE CAT IS LOOKING FOR A NEW HOME!!!!

WE ARE GOING TO TAKE HIM TO THE VET AFTER CHRISTMAS SO HOPEFULLY THAT WILL HELP, THE OTHER PROBLEMS NOW ARE THE DONKEY, GOAT, TWO SHEEP, TWO GEESE AND DOZENS OF CHICKENS WHICH WE ALSO SEEM TO BE LOOKING AFTER.

PERHAPS WE CAN HAVE OUR OWN NATIVITY PLAY!!!!

CAROLINE

PS MARTHA, YOU DESERVE A MEDAL FOR NOT BEING THE HEADLINE "WICKED BABYSITTER TORTURES AND MURDERS HER CHARGES"

#10 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 04:44 PM

Martha - laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Can I have your number to give out over here when I hear of anyone who needs a break from hypo children? laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

You are a true champ doing that!!! My admiration for you is even higher!!

#11 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 09:37 PM

Martha - After reading about your adventure with the Angels, I'm laughing so hard I have the hiccups! laugh.gif You missed your big chance when they left the house to play hide-and-seek....you should have locked the door and curled up on the couch to read a good book. But...you did the right thing, even if it almost killed you. laugh.gif Your headlines are hysterical...and Caroline's is great, too. Just be glad none of us read...."Wicked Children Torture and Murder Babysitter...and She Was Old!" laugh.gif

Caroline - Don & Margaret's suggestion is the BEST in your situation. Or, you could build a little kitty-house outside, line the sides and roof with leftover carpeting or something for insulation, and let him/her live there. That way the cat would have a roof over it's head, warmth and food...without ruining anything in your home. As far as the other animals...moving to another continent comes to mind. Best of luck. ohmy.gif

#12 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 03:21 AM

Caroline, I laughed my head off when I read the story about the cat although at the time it must have been horrendous.

I shall never forget when I went to stay with family. I was tucked up in bed, alone, and fell off to sleep. I gradually awoke to feel something stroking my leg under the covers. It was quite creepy as my husband wasn't there (not that he would stroke my leg) and I thought what the hell is that. It gradually continued up my leg and by that time I was wide awake, jumped out of the bed, let out one helluva scream, only to see their huge ginger cat leap up and out of the door!

I stood on the landing expecting everyone downstairs to be chasing up to my room to see what had happened! Then I heard laughing! Apparantly the cat loves the spare room and I had left the door open. So he came, to join me!!!!!! UGH.

Martha, your story was/is sooooooo funny. I love reading all these funny stories. Anymore????????????????????

biggrin.gif

#13 pinkmoiree

pinkmoiree

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 07:26 AM

Dear Martha - it was by no means malicious joy that brought me to laugh at reading your "babysitter" adventure.

This could also happen to me in the nearer or farther future for I have three sons of marriageable age laugh.gif

Madeleine

#14 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 07:50 AM

Caroline, I'll be interested to hear how your cat gets along, please keep us informed. I've always slept with a mattress cover, and while I've never had a cat or dog have an accident in bed, sometimes they do throw up. rolleyes.gif

One of the guys I work with, who is one of the nicest people you would ever want to meet and is always doing good deeds for others, tells this story about a good deed that went very wrong. Here is his story:

Our neighbor's beloved cat had been missing for several days. I'm coming home from work, and as I turn into our neighborhood, there is Snuffy lying dead in the street. I rush home and get a plastic bag and go back and scoop up the cat and take it to our neighbor so that his little girls won't have to see their pet lying dead in the street. The father thanks me profusely and tells me how much he appreciates my thoughtfulness.

The next day, my doorbell rings and it's my neighbor standing on my front porch. He tells me they buried Snuffy, had a little ceremony, said a prayer, while all the time his little girls are weeping at the loss of their beloved cat. "There was only one hitch," he says. "Snuffy turned up on our doorstep this morning. You should have heard me try to explain to my little girls who it was we buried last evening." sad.gif

#15 SINNETT

SINNETT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 11:37 AM

LADIES YOU HAVE ALL BEEN GREAT HELPING ME DEAL WITH THE PROBLEM CAT. I AM REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO TOMORROW AS THE NEW BED IS BEING DELIVERED, I AM NOT SURE PAUL AND I COULD ENDURE ANOTHER NIGHT ON THE AIR-BED WHICH SEEMS TO BE SIZED FOR MIDGETS!!!!

OUR FIRST YEAR IN FRANCE HAS HAD SO MANY "INCIDENTS" I COULD GO ON FOREVER. ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT IF ANY OF YOU READ THE BOOK "A YEAR IN PROVENCE" - THEY HAD IT EASY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS AND LETS KEEP DOING GOOD TURNS, ESPECIALLY YOU AND I MARTHA, WE CAN ENTERTAIN EVERYONE WITH ALL OUR HAPLESS EFFORTS.

LOVE

CAROLINE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users