Posted 01 December 2004 - 05:42 PM

Love all of your stories and Don and Margaret you home looks lovely! wink.gif

#17 dante

dante

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 04:33 AM

Don & Margaret your house looks beautiful laugh.gif . Just as a house should look like at christmas, so very inviting biggrin.gif biggrin.gif .

Dante

#18 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 08:23 AM

Have been looking through all the posts and pictures this morning. They are really beautiful.

As a child I used to wake up on Christmas morning to find a stocking at the foot of my bed filled with lots of presents to unwrap. I loved it!

Now, living in an apartment in central London, it is wonderful on Xmas day not to hear the noise of traffic and to be able to wander around the streets with the feeling that no-one is there. If it snows, that will be icing on the cake!

In London you do not see the beautiful house decorations that you see in Florida prior to Xmas. But saying that, the windows of the large stores in Knightsbridge, Oxford and Regent Street are a story in themselves.

I do not put up many decorations. I find the Christmas Cards we receive plus the flame red Ponsetta, which is a must have tradition. take up alot of space. It does look very warm and Christmasy.

#19 Charlotte

Charlotte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 06:13 PM

Hello,

since I live in a apartment, the only things I can do is to prepare a small nativity scene in olive wooden bought in Israel many years ago and to decorate a small Christmas (artifice) tree whose photo I'll try to upload.

In the meantime Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you and I wish you to find a lot of Lauder solids under your Christmas tree.

Charlotte

#20 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 10:59 PM

We just wanted to thank everyone for the kind comments on our home. It was built in 1926 by our Great Aunt and Uncle for a total cost of $1560. ph34r.gif We still have the original plans with the price estimate and contract on the back.

Originally it was on their farm about 6 miles outside of our town but was moved into town in 1946. After our Great Uncle and Aunt passed away our (Don's) Grandparents inherited it and lived the rest of their lives here. Don grew up coming over almost every day of his life since he also grew up in the same small town. His favorite comment is that he's been mowing the yard here for 40 years, laugh.gif .

After his grandparents died we bought the house from their estate and raised our three lovely daughters (and a buncha pets) here. We never plan on moving. It was a wonderful house to raise a family in as there are a lot of private spaces in which everyone can get away from each other at times of stress. smile.gif

Our family has been extremely lucky over the years, as everyone has lived out their (mostly long) lives with no accidental deaths or death by diseases. Don's parents are now in their 90's and in great health.

We can only wish the same for all of you and yours and thanks again for the compliments on our home. We love it also. wub.gif

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to All

user posted image

#21 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 11:02 AM

Dear Don & Margaret -

Your Christmas Home looks just beautiful...very warm, indeed. And the history of your house is just wonderful...very few people can say their home is their heritage. You can be very proud you managed to keep it "In the Family" all these long years...but this doesn't surprise me...you're that kind of good people. smile.gif

Merry Christmas and Best Wishes for the New Year to you and yours! Thanks so much for the lovely photo...

#22 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 03:44 PM

Wow!! Nice family and historical story, Don!! Still mowing the same grass after all these years!! laugh.gif

Well the house must've been built well to have remained all these years - are there no additions to the original??

You have stress and run away to another part of the house?? I'm gobsmacked!!

#23 pinkmoiree

pinkmoiree

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 06:47 AM

Chapeau Don & Margaret - I like reading stories about (old) houses and their inmates.

May you enjoy your cosy house for many more years to come.

Also from my side I wish everyone a merry Christmas and a happy New Year

Madeleine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users