22 replies to this topic

#1 Nettie

Nettie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 05:27 PM

Hi all,

Well it's the 1st of December here. The Advent calander goes up in our home and the countdown to Christmas begins. With five kids it gets very exciting counting down each day until the very last one .

My husband Bob loves his christmas lights and decorates the house . It started with a few strands of lights about 4 years ago and this year he tells me he's reached 10,000 lights.

How does everybody else decorate? BIG? SMALL? or not at all?

In Darwin very few homes decorate on a large scale. I guess it's because it is our cyclone season and we get lots of rain, and of course people worry about when and if the next cyclone will hit.

30 years ago this Christmas Eve Cyclone Tracy hit Darwin and almost wiped it out. I was fortunately not living here then, but the pictures I've seen are just horrendous (sp) . So I can imagine that would be in the backs of peoples minds at this time of the year too.

#2 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 05:54 PM

Hi Annette - thanks for the post - it was nice to read what you're doing up there.

It must be exciting in your household! What are you getting all the kiddies?

There are many, many streets here that go the whole hog - I just can't compete!

I decorate for my little dog, so all the decs are his size (small).

A little tree, a little santa, an out of proporation larger reindeer that he barks at and some little pressies. Then I dress him in a little santa hat and scarf (for about 2 minutes because it's very hot over here).

I'll see if I can post a pic of him and the tree last Christmas. cool.gif

#3 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 06:28 PM

WOW ANNETTE.......

YOU HAVE A BLING BLING HOUSE AT CHRISTMAS

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

#4 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 06:30 PM

Cyclones during the holidays sound scary.

I wished I owned a house. sad.gif Maybe sometime in the near future.

My family is very minimalist. My parents didn't make a big deal about Christmas growing up. We buy a tree and presents etc, but decorating was another story. I don't know if it's laziness or the "it's another day" attitude.

My husband and I buy a "fresh" tree (if you can call it that) every year. The tree people always spray paint them green. laugh.gif We add lights and decorate it. We don't put as much ornaments on as the average person. The best part is the glass blown tree topper. Put presents under the tree. I hang stockings, but have to get creative so they don't fall down. That's it in terms of decorating. laugh.gif

If I had more storage space, I may think about buying some real decorations. biggrin.gif

The funny thing is that my in-laws are the same way; however, they add one more thing....hang a ribbon on the wall with whatever Christmas cards they received that year.

#5 Denise

Denise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 06:34 PM

Hi Annette and everyone,

Just yesterday I decorated the front of my porch with lighted Garland with Pinecones, it took 3 Garlands as I have a large porch in front of my house. Then I put lights around one of my large trees. But I only started.... I love decorating for Christmas!!! Love those BLINGS BLINGS!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

Those Cyclones sound scary!

Denise

#6 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 06:41 PM

I JUST PUT UP MY LARGE CHRISTMAS TREE, WITH LOTS OF LIGHTS AND DECORATIONS ON IT. MOST OF MY DECORATIONS HAVE BEEN BOUGHT IN LAS VEGAS SO I RELIVE MY HOLIDAY AT CHRISTMAS.

MARGARET........

#7 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 06:54 PM

Every year, we put a huge wreath with lights on the front of the house and a red bow on the mailbox. We hang stockings and put small Christmas decorations throughout the house, including a couple of miniature trees you can place on tabletops.

Since we got Charlie, a full-size tree is out of the question. I shudder to think what he would do to the tree and decorations. Well, I can tell you what he would do to the decorations ... mangle them and then devour them! ohmy.gif

Nettie, you will have to post a picture of your house lit up.

#8 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 07:11 PM

We usually travel around Christmas and our favorite memory trip was when we went to DC by train on Christmas Eve.
I made Santa hats for us to wear and it was so neat to walk from car to car and see the kids faces lite up in coach as we went through. We gave out candy canes if the kids promised to settle down and give their parents a break.( Coach is a nightmare to travel overnite in).

Later back in our room it was remarkable to lay in bed and watch out the windows as we passed through small towns all lite up . Some of the best decorations I have ever seen and to top it off it started snowing.

Ann and Ken

#9 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 08:01 PM

Since our girls have grown up and left we don't do as much as we used to but still have to do enough to welcome everyone home. Our house has been in our family since built in 1926 so we try to keep the decorations appropriate. smile.gif The train trip sounds wonderful, Ann and Ken. We have always wanted to take the train across Canada.

user posted imageuser posted image Merry Christmas to all.

#10 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 08:12 PM

Don and Margaret,

Your house is BEAUTIFUL!!! It looks so warm and inviting, just like the two of you. Can I come over for some egg nog?

#11 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 08:22 PM

You bet, Martha. Come on over and we'll get the season started right. smile.gif
user posted image
And be sure to bring Charlie. He and our daschunds could have their own kinda party. ph34r.gif laugh.gif
user posted image

#12 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 08:31 PM

Wow!! Is that really your house, Don and Margaret??

It looks beautiful!!

Nice paths and everything . . . . is that your work Don, or do you get the dogs on to it?

How did you get the lights right up the top?

Sheesh!!! So that's a white Christmas!! cool.gif

Can't imagine it ever snowing here . . it's 40deg Celcius right now.

#13 Gigi

Gigi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 11:38 PM

Don and Margaret, your house looks so wonderful. I love your lights on the Christmas tree outside.

Since my husband and I have houses in both Wyoming and Montana, decorating for Christmas is always a challenge because we do spend time at both houses during the holiday season. I think this year the Wyoming one will get a nice wreath for the front door and the Montana house will get a tree put up inside. That will be very tricky to do since we have a 6 month old kitten who is a go-getter and is into everything. Maybe a small tree this year that's indestructable? laugh.gif

In case anybody is wondering, I do have solid perfume compacts at both houses! wink.gif

Gigi

#14 pinkmoiree

pinkmoiree

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 08:04 AM

When I was a child, I saw the movie "We're no Angels" (with Humphrey Bogart, Peter Ustinov etc.) playing in Australia or South America, anyway on the southern hemisphere, and there they celebrated Christmas in summer which was quite a shock to me: just to think of Christmas without snow!

It's not so long ago that people in our street started to decorate trees and bushes with lighting garlands, and it's so cosy coming home in the evening with all the lighted up trees.

I have a decorated wreath (advent wreath) with 4 candles on it and each Sunday before Christmas I light a candle: first one, then two a.s.o.

We celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve with a decorated Christmas-tree, presents and a festive meal. By the way in Switzerland the Christchild brings the presents for the children. We of course know also the custom of Santa Claus. But he comes to the children on December 6th and brings them gingerbread, nuts, chocolates, mandarines and apples.

Madeleine

#15 Nettie

Nettie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 08:48 AM

HI all,
Don and Margaret your home looks so beautiful and inviting. Thanks for posting the picture for us to see. Seeing all that snow really makes me want to have a white Christmas.

Madeleine it's great to hear how others celebrate the festive season. That's what so great about this site there are so many people on here from all over the globe who all have their own different traditions and customs and I find it very interesting to read how others celebrate.

My husband lived in Switerland for a few years when he was a young boy . He remembers going to school there and everything being taught in German. Which was very difficult when all he had known was English. But I guess his most clearest memory was having to write with a slate which normally wouldn't be so hard except he is left-handed and wiped everything off as he wrote!! He would like to go back there and visit one day . Maybe we could have a white Christmas there.(no harm in dreaming a little)

Hi Denise, sounds like you like all those sparklies too.I love all the bright and flashy Christmas lights, but Bob likes more balance and having everything in the right place.

I'll try to post a picture in the near future .

Anyway , how many more sleeps 'til Christmas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users