• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#16 pancho

pancho

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 06:39 PM

I can't belive that any of you care what ones will come out next year...with the poor quality, high prices, non-exclusives, high shipping, warehouse sales, non-communication etc. why help The Estee Company line their pockets with our $$$. I for one will stop buying their products and will hang on to my few favourites which are: the easel, the mermaid, the Harrod's bear, Dragon, etc. I will not continue to grovel to Estee asking about Limited Editions, and watch my investments go down the tubes....the solids are going the way of the Beanie Babies, and Cabbage Patch Dolls.....be careful and only buy what you really like, don't buy for re-sale! This is my opinion, I had to say something after reading all the emails and disenchantment from everyone! Good luck to all, Pancho

#17 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 07:36 PM

Pancho,

I am offended..... I do not grovel.

Just trying my best to make this a fun place for those of us that collect solids.

[ October 28, 2002, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

#18 Gail C.

Gail C.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 11:05 PM

HELLO PANCHO,
LIGHTEN UP A LITTLE. I THINK THAT WE ALL ARE SOMEWHAT UNHAPPY AT WHAT WE PERCEIVE TO BE A INDIFFERENT ATTITUDE FROM THE E/L CO.
LISA'S SITE IS A HAPPY PLACE FOR ME TO VISIT AND SHARE THOUGHTS AND CHAT WITH MY E/L COLLECTOR FRIENDS. I GET A CHANCE TO SHARE OTHER'S THOUGHTS AND OPINIONS. MAYBE WE SHOULD FOCUS OUR (MINE INCLUDED) NEGATIVE STATEMENTS AND DIRECT THEM TO THE E/L CORPORATE WEB SITE.
HERE IS A THOUGHT, WE ALL ENJOY LISA'S SITE RIGHT? DID WE EVER WONDER WHY THE VERY COMPANY THAT WE SUPPORT DOES NOT HAVE A SIMILAR SITE OR TO MY KNOWLEDGE EVER PARTICIPATE ON LISA'S SITE?
WHY IS THAT? IF SOMEONE HAS THE E/L ADDRESS THAT THIS MESSAGE SHOULD BE SENT TO GIVE IT TO ME. I WILL SEND ANY NEGATIVE COMMENTS I MAY HAVE TO THEM AT E/L AND I WILL VISIT LISA'S SITE FOR THE VERY REASON I AM HERE NOW, TO VISIT AND SHARE WITH MY FRIENDS, THE PEOPLE WHO CARE ABOUT ONE ANOTHER. YOU AND EVERYONE ELSE!!! "MY E/L FRIENDS"
GAIL & CHUCK C.

[ October 29, 2002, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

#19 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 29 October 2002 - 03:19 AM

Hi Everyone,

Am checking out a site here in the U.K which I am told involves EL. Once I have details, and if the information is correct, will then let you have more details (if you wish)!

J. [Wink]

#20 pancho

pancho

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 October 2002 - 11:03 PM

I am sorry that you are offended....it just seems that this "fun site" is loaded with collectors complaining about the service & product from Estee Lauder...perhaps I am the only one that noticed that! Many of us have spoken with EL reps. only to be told over and over again that they will address our concerns, but obviously that is not happening. As long as people still keep buying them at any price they won't care!

I received my Harrod's pieces today...the Van and Bear are precious but I noticed that the Limited Edition card didn't mention which solid it was for, so that card could be used with any of the "exclusives" that are also Neiman Marcus exclusives and people that don't know any better would think they are buying a limited edition of 400.

What are everyone's thought on that?

I do appreciate the work and effort you have made with this site, and have mentioned it several times....the mere fact that EL will not get involved makes you wonder. I think it is because they are totally profit motivated and are not wanting to have more of a conflict of interest than they already do. (Sales clerks working for Estee and getting discounts, then re-selling..blah, blah, blah)

I have stated in many postings that I have quite a large collection, but that I will not be buying anymore....so I think I am as much, if not more of a collector than many of you.

Thanks, Pancho

#21 Sylvia Ray

Sylvia Ray

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 12:23 AM

On the whole, I am happy with Estee Lauder solids. Do I wish the company was more involved with collectors? Sure. Do I wish some of the solids were of better quality? Sure. But I'm hardly ready to stop collecting. I buy the ones I like when they come out and the rest I pass on.

Pancho, you have mentioned quite a few times that you won't be buying any more, yet you said you received two new ones from Harrod's today. Sounds like you are in the same boat as many of us: you buy the ones you like. There's nothing wrong with that.

I don't really see this as a competition to see who is "more of a collector" than the next person.

#22 pancho

pancho

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 12:56 AM

Hi Miss Ray....you are right, I ordered the Harrod's pieces awhile ago. I had also ordered the Palace, but after reading the comments on this site, I cancelled it. I have no regrets about it, especially since there were more of the Palace made than the other Harrod pieces.

I know it is not a competition, but I have been collecting compacts and solids (not just Estee's) for about 13 years now. I guess since this site is strictly for Estee lovers I should not participate in it since I am not one of their biggest fans anymore for many reasons.

I apologize for any comments that were perceived as "negative", it is not my intent to offend any collectors. I was hoping that perhaps someone who works for the Estee company would read my comments, and that is who they were directed at.

I have made many wonderful friends throughout the years because of being part of the Powder Puff Club which Roselyn Gerson started. She is a true delight, a friend and being a part of the club is great fun and I am always promoting it. Roselyn originally started the club for compacts which I will continue to collect as well as older solids. Roselyn keeps everyone up to speed on the new Estee's (hence the book) so if you are not a member be sure to join!

I hope everyone has as much fun as I have had over the years and I do not want to detract from your enjoyment. I will continue to look in every now and then... [Wink] .Happy collecting...signing off.....Pancho

#23 Redmpeaches

Redmpeaches

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 10:05 AM

hi Pancho, i really like your comments and your honesty in saying them.some of your comments are really spot- on like EL having the warehouse sales and perhaps dragging down the value of the solids.Also on the issue of exclusivity,if 400 pieces are going to be made, then they should stand by their decision and principles and not make more.I feel that that should be room on Lisa's site for freedom of thought and not just the politically correct views.Or else we would end up bombing each other in this crazy world of ours.Take care and drop in often.kim

#24 Flyaway

Flyaway

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 12:04 PM

I also applaud Pancho..he has eloquently put down some of the things I was thinking.I started collecting the solid perfumes many years ago,when I considered them "reasonable"..20-30.00...prices are getting outrageous...I am sure we will soon see a solids selling routinely for 650.00...most people will not be able to continue to collect..

#25 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 12:09 AM

Everyone is more than welcome to post views on this board. That is what it is for. But let's not forget we all are here for the same reasons- collecting Lauder solids. Sure there are going to be things we as collectors don't like or agree with but change don't happen overnight things like this take time. Because I don't agree with some things it is not going to make me stop buying solids, I buy only the ones I really like and that's that. Pancho if you are going to stop buying them that is your perogative. You seem not to be happy with my site and I am sorry for that. Like I stated before every one is welcome to express ones opinion but when you state that you are a "bigger collector" than the rest of us or why should we care what solids come out next year be prepared for others to express their opinions to you in return.

Now back to the original topic "If you could design a solid for next year what would it be??

#26 CompactGuy

CompactGuy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 12:40 AM

I don't post too often but I do read a lot. (Thanks for the great site Lisa!) I have seen both sides posted on this board and I think it is well balanced. I haven't seen it as a one-sided cheerleading for Estee Lauder. Lisa herself has expressed her disappointment at the warehouse sales and some other issues.

I don't buy the solid perfumes as an investment like I guess some of you do. I just but them to collect them and I just buy the ones I like. I think maybe Pancho is frustrated with Estee Lauder. There are some things I wish they would change too, but since nobody from Estee Lauder has made an appearance here (that I have seen) I think those concerns are better expressed in a letter to them if what you are looking for is results.

Posting your disappointment with Estee Lauder will probably get several people posting viewpoints in aggreement and it may turn into a productive discussion. Posting here implying that the rest of us are "groveling" is probably not going to get the reaction you may have expected. Not posting at all achieves nothing.

[Smile]

#27 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 12:41 AM

As far as buying solids that cost $450 I'm not going to do it, I can't afford to, but some people can and there is nothing wrong with that, more power to them. I don't think we should put anyone down for that. If Lauder finds that solids that cost more that $300 don't do as well than the ones that cost $100 than I'm sure they will adjust the # produced and maybe not make them in that price range at all. But it is all supply and demand some people did buy the lion in the cage so there is a demand for a solid in that price range. Also, as far as employees buying at a discount, let them if they can make some extra money then good for them, but nobody is forcing anyone to buy from them. Again if they are selling there is a demand for them. Same goes for collectors who "stock up" and buy multipules to sell for a profit later on- if they can afford it great. For some collectors it is a way to make money in order to buy next years pieces. Nothing wrong with that because three or four years from now there again is the demand for them because they sell. Not something that I do but I am not going to criticize those that do.

[ October 30, 2002, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

#28 Brigitte

Brigitte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 09:17 PM

Hello everyone,

first of all, THANKS LISA for this wonderful site. I think we all do appreciate very much all the effort you make to keep this site running. I don't post often as my English isn't that good and I often feel not beeing able to express myself as well as I could do in German, my mothertongue.
My opinion is that everyone should be able to express his thoughts unless he/she doesn't hurt anyone personally....BUT I also think we all shouldn't take any statements personal. We should read them and make our own opinion about and even if we might feel sort of offended be above that.

I do hope I found the proper words to express my feelings about the "little misunderstandings" on this site.

Lisa, again, THANKS for this great place to exchange our knowledge and different opinions about E.L. solids.

I wish you all a great day,

Brigitte

#29 Colette

Colette

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 03:48 AM

Hi Everyone,
Can I add my two cents?

I complain (quality and prices) but I love the Estee solids and I will continue to collect them. I'm just more selective but it's still a thrill to see the new ones each year. Furthermore, I love all solids and I don't think that I will ever stop collecting them as long as there is Ebay, flea markets, antique shows, swap etc. where I can hunt for my little treasures.
Lisa like the others I wanted to say thanks for this wonderful place to share thoughts, ideas, etc with others like me (solid collectors)

Okay getting back to the original post---how about a solid designed to resemble a collector with his/her pockets turned out indicating that there is no more money for the Estee Lauder solids! JUST KIDDING!

I would love to see miniature furniture. It would be cute to have a sofa, chairs, table, etc.

Until next time,
Colette

#30 luscious11@aol.com

luscious11@aol.com

Pamela

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 01 November 2002 - 12:15 AM

Hello Everyone!!

I find all the comments very interesting here at Lisa's site and like all of you out there I also applaud her for all the hard work...and yes, it's nice that everyone can express themselves...and no, we don't all have to agree with each other....and yes, Estee Lauder Companies are out to make as much money as they can from the little people (like all of us) out there.........but let's lighten up is an understatement!!!!!
This is FUN!! This is really FUN!!! Let's not loose sight of that, PLEASE!! Ok, some of us can't afford all of the solids put out every year and some of us can....whatever.....I think it's great that some of us have big collections and some of us have been collecting for a long time.....and some of us have small collections and just started their collecting recently....SO WHAT!!!! Lisa is right on.....as far as I'm concerned. We are all here because we love Lauder Solids, right? That's what this sight is for: LAUDERSOLIDS.COM.......
I also understand a collector's frustration in reference to the issues mentioned. But, please let's not be sooooo negative! Let's be positive and let's try and do something together! Let's get something together on paper and all be involved in making sure Lauder gets it...Those of us who have worked for Lauder in the past have to have some connections.....I'm willing to try....How about all of you? Any suggestions?
Come on, you all have comments; what about suggestions? Thanks for your time and I'll be watching for your replies! Have a great evening and a great weekend!

Regards to All, Pamela
pmeeson@rochester.rr.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users