• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 01:37 PM

Just wondering what everyone is making for Thanksgiving dinner? Does anyone have anything unusual they make?? How about sharing any family recipes??

Here is a different twist on cranberry sauce:

1 package of raspberry jello
1 cup of boiling water
1 can of drained mandarin oranges
1 handful of white grapes halfed
1 handful of chopped walnuts
1 can of whole cranberries.

Dissolve jello in boiling water, stir well. Add cranberries, oranges, grapes and walnuts. Pour into lightly oiled mold and chill overnight.

Unmold on a bed of lettuce leaves, garnish with sliced oranges and lemons and whole cranberries.

*recipe may be doubled*

#2 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 05:05 PM

Sounds yummy, Lisa (especially the white grapes).

Anyone got a good receipe for dressing ... something a little bit different?

#3 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 05:49 PM

My mother is cooking duck. I don't know how to cook anything that fancy.

I'm going to the in-laws this year. My husband's mom will cook the traditional Thanksgiving dinner. She makes yummy turkey.

Sorry, I don't have any recipes. I never attempted holiday cooking before. I'm just lucky to cook decent food on regular days. ohmy.gif

#4 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 05:56 PM

My cranberry sauce is 8oz/225g of fresh cranberries, 5 tablespoons of port, 2 oz/50g of castor suger and the rind of a small orange. Put all ingrediants except sugar in a pan, simmer for 5 minutes or until berries burst. Add suger, cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring until suger has disolved and mixture thickens slightly. Serve warm or cold.

#5 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 06:12 PM

Our Cranberry Sauce comes out of a can called "Ocean Spray." Doesn't get much more exciting than that! laugh.gif

#6 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 07:45 PM

Same here Michele. I love the canned ones with the smooth jelly glop.

A relative (that I'm not related to) made cranberry sauce with brandy. She's against drinking alochol oddly enough. laugh.gif Wish I knew the recipe. I could use a drink during the holidays with all the yelling and screaming. rolleyes.gif

#7 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 08:51 PM

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif IROTFLMBO laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

#8 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 10:42 PM

Martha,

laugh.gif Isn't that B supposed to be an A?? laugh.gif

I have another fantastic recipe, this one we both love, love, love it is so easy and delicious!! I make this recipe and put out before dinner to snack on with crackers.

Crab Mousse

2 8oz containers of Lump crab meat drained (I use the Phillips crab claw meat found in the refridgerator dept. near the seafood dept.) you can also use imatation crab or frozen crab to taste.
1 cup chopped celery
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 cup mayo
1/4 cup of warm water
1 package of cream cheese
1 package of Knox unflavored gelatin
1 can of tomato soup

Dissolve gelatin in warm water, let stand for 5 minutes. Heat soup as is (do not add water) add gelatin, stir until dissolved. Pour soup mixture in to blender, add cream cheese and blend until smooth. Cool then add mayo blend again & hand mix in celery, onions and crab. Pour into well oiled mold and chill overnight.

I use a copper fish shaped mold for mine and it looks and tastes soooo good. I hope you will try it!!

#9 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 09:12 AM

Lisa,
Your recipes sound yummy - but in Baltimore you would be shot by a firing squad for adding tomato soup to crabmeat! tongue.gif
Ar

#10 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 09:42 AM

Greyhound - Your holidays sound so familiar...believe me when I say you're not alone! laugh.gif Aren't families great! biggrin.gif Your post is priceless!

I get all misty just thinking about Christmas! user posted image

#11 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 06:12 PM

Hey Ar, forget the soup, I guess you haven't had enough mad cow disease to worry yet about the gelatin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ohmy.gif

#12 pirologists

pirologists

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 06:34 PM

My odd ball item on the menu (my Mother in law does most of the cooking)
Grandma Mayer's Potato Chip Cookies!
Yummy! Yummy!

I always make 2 or 3 kinds of cookies good for the holidays, Potato chips are a staple (my Gma made them for all 9 of her children and her 63 grandchildren until she passed away).
One year I suprized everyone with a recipe one of my old bar fly customers gave to me for
"Dog Droppings"
Made from cocoa and condensed milk (Gosh I wish I could remember the recipe),
They were absolutely disgusting to look at, but an absolute delight to ingest.

Last year I made Rum Balls for the first time in ages - we all got soused from a few cookies (I added just a smidge too much rum LOL) and had a wonderful time during clean up time, marking each other's take home packages with odd, little nicknames, and whispering every time someone left or returned to the room.

I adore my in-laws but when we get together it's like having a classroom full of preschoolers. I guess thats the true meaning of Thanksgiving, having such wonderful people to laugh with. wub.gif

#13 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 10:06 AM

Hi everyone..... smile.gif smile.gif I HAVE CALLED THIS STORY.. GRANNY AND THE CHRISTMAS TREE.... laugh.gif laugh.gif .

All this talk of food and DRINK reminds me of a certain Christmas Day about five years ago, whether you can cook or can't cook nothing could be as bad as what I did..... sad.gif sad.gif

Christmas Day is very free and easy at our house. I cook (no problem) nobody dresses up and we all wear baggy clothes to allow room for food, and a good time is had by all.....that is untill my MOTHER WHO ALWAYS WENT TO HER SISTERS FOR CHRISTMAS DECIDED TO STAY HOME AND JOIN US ALL.....PANIC.... ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

I have to say at this point in the story that my Mother was a lady with very high standards sad.gif sad.gif She was 5ft 8inches tall and carried herself very upright, beautiful silver hair (never out of place) and a size 8, no dust bunnies under her bed and no weeds would dare to grow in her garden.

I got the family together and told them and we all agreeded we would have to be a little more sedate for this Christmas.

Our Christmas table setting usually consists of all the older things we have in the house (so the children dont feel bad if they break anything) and any table decorations they have made at school that year are placed in the middle. This year I set the table Christmas eve with all our good glass wear and bought a flashy table decoration. I just wanted it all to be perfect, and that was my first mistake!!!!!!!

Christmas day came and I got up at 4am ph34r.gif ph34r.gif to get the dinner under way, everything was going well and about eleven I decided to have a large glass of wine or two to help the nerves along, Mother arrived and was given a large glass of sherry in the hopes it would jolly her up a bit. At 12-30 my son, daughter-in-law and grand children arrived. Santa comes big time and it can take upto an hour to open all the goodies, while we do this I serve bucks fizz and nibbles helping myself to two large glasses. My son and I then take over kitchen duty and finish off the dinner and during this time I had another glass of wine.

Dinner was put on the table everyone was a little more subduded than usual so my son kept the wine flowing (think I had two more glasses) dinner over and my son and I settled to the stilton cheese and port (dont know how many glass I had) after this it was coffee and brandy time, a very yummy 5 star Greek Mataxa!!!!!

The very last thing I recall was my grand-daugher coming up to me to show me something. THEY TOLD ME AFTERWARDS THAT I ROSE FROM THE TABLE AND VERY VERY GRACEFULLY FELL BACK INTO OUR 6ft CHRISTMAS TREE, OUT COLD

It took them about a quater hour to get me out of it, they then put me to bed, BY THIS TIME MOTHER HAD ASKED TO BE TAKEN HOME. I woke up the next morning at 11am, and the first thing that I thought was MY GOD WHAT DID I SAY TO MY MOTHER. The family thought it was hilarious,but my mother did not speak to me for two weeks OH BOY DID I HAVE TO CRAWL.

After Christmas was over I went into our village to shop and three people asked me had I fallen into any Christmas trees today (My dear son had told the story in the pub on Boxing day so all the village knew.
Thats not all......I picked my Grand-children up from school and the Teacher came to me laughing.....She had asked my Grand-Daughter what sort of Christmas she had, had and the dear little thing had related the whole story of Granny and the Christmas Tree to the whole class.

Each year I dread putting the tree up. The first person through the door always says ....dont fall into it this year will you.... mad.gif But I swear that fairy on the top winks at me biggrin.gif biggrin.gif and the family never will tell me what happened or how I got to bed.

So to all of you A very happy Holiday, dont try and be perfect, and if you drink to much stay away from trees. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Margaret

#14 SINNETT

SINNETT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 05:04 AM

biggrin.gif This is a happy Thanksgiving to all of you who celebrate it and I hope that all the dinners and recipes go to plan.

I am really sad.gif looking forward to Christmas dinner here in my wooden shed in rural France.

Dinner is open to suggestions, I am the only normal eater in our little group (except I hate baked beans).

My husband Paul is getting better, he eats meat but no fish, although Turkey is a little dry and tasteless!! Potatoes are ok and a teaspoon of green beans NO other vegetables.

Our friends who have just joined our adventure here are even worse, Yvonne is a vegetarian huh.gif , NO meat, NO fish, thankfully she does eat dairy.

Her husband Neil eats some lean meat (just got him into Pork), loves dry Turkey. Eats NO fish, enjoys potatoes but absolutely NO other vegetables.

Can anyone come up with a solution which doesn't involve me preparing four different Christmas Dinners??????????

ph34r.gif sad.gif ph34r.gif sad.gif

CAROLINE

#15 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 07:15 AM

Caroline, here are a couple of suggestions:

1) Serve rum balls as an appetizer along with lots of egg nog laced with brandy. By the time dinner rolls around, your guests will be so sloshed they won't care, let alone be able to see, what's for dinner. laugh.gif

OR ... biggrin.gif

2) What about serving pasta (maybe vermicilli) with your sauces and vegetables as side dishes. You could do a red meat sauce, white clam sauce, yellow squash and portabello mushrooms. Serve with parmesan cheese, hot bread and plenty of good French wine. Pasta is usually a pretty safe choice as most people like it.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users