• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#16 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 05:36 AM

Yes Michele, I hear what you are saying. I shall put that down to your quiet, relfective mood, as I know you appreciate that this is what Collecting is all about plus the loving of the pieces etc. etc. I could go on!

No-one likes to think they own a limited number then to find out there are thousands! I can name you countless examples. But fair is fair, and no-one should be duped into thinking they are buying something which carries an unfair and inaccurate description. Why do we have the Trade Descriptions Act if it were not for this? To protect the buyer! What about the handbag we were all looking for that Lisa wanted a year back? How would she have felt if the market would have been flooded with them (especially after paying top dollar for it)! IT WAS A LIMITED RELEASE AND had the market been flooded and it had not been sold as a limited release, it's value would have diminished and it would not have been a COLLECTOR' S ITEM. Anyway Michele, you are really sharp so I am not preaching to the converted. wink.gif

Before getting off the topic, Harrods Exclusives mean just that. There is only one Harrods in the U.K. They have never sold the Harrods exclusive solid perfume i.e. with the Harrods Logo, at any other outlet (Estee Lauder) or even at the Harrods Outlet at the Airports. So a Harrods exclusive and numbered release is just that! Numbered (certificate) for the amount being held in their store and on release to the general public! dry.gif

[B][I]I WISH YOU ALL A WONDERFUL HOLIDAY AND HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

#17 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 06:07 AM

Hi Jacky - Please don't misunderstand me...I do agree that Exclusive means just that, and it is disappointing to hear that EL is doing something other than what they promised. But after all this time and all the carrying on, it just doesn't surprise me....and I can't let it bother me.

You see, then we'd all be counting our "numbered" Barns and Flower Carts, and this could get really in-depth as far as emotions (e.g., anger) goes...and we've been down that road before. For what?

I guess the amazing part is that everyone is so surprised at this mis-count. At this point, nothing surprises me regarding solids. But I do have to chuckle at one statement you made, and I'm going to quote it here but don't get mad, ok?...

...no-one should be duped into thinking they are buying something which turns out to be an unfair description.

You're 100% correct in that statement, and if EL were selling on eBay they'd be bounced off and banned for life! laugh.gif

So again, I do agree with all of you, but at this point in my life I really do have to seriously prioritize. It would be nice to think one had only one of 150, but it wouldn't be realistic after all that has gone on with Estee Lauder, would it? Obviously, honesty is not an important quality in their corporate world...they probably think we're all crazy anyway.

Again, I wish each and everyone of you the very best, and hope you can get this "Exclusive" subject under control, but I truly believe it's an exercise in futility and a waste of emotion. Believe me, no one at EL is losing sleep over this. They're laughing all the way to the bank, as we say here...but not at my expense, and I hope not at yours. Consider it a speed bump on the solid collecting road, and enjoy your collection, ok? rolleyes.gif

Have a beautiful day while I contemplate why I've been awake since 4 a.m. laugh.gif

#18 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 06:54 AM

For those who do not have the English Emblem, here is what the card says,

"Estee Lauder beyond paradise English Emblem

This exquisite limited edition solid perfume compact has been hand-crafted by artisans schooled in fine jewelry making - one of 150 created exclusively for Estee Lauder for Harrods."

To me, if more than 150 are being sold at Harrods, we have not only been duped ... but SCAMMED! Surely, there are laws in the UK to protect the consumer. This is just not right. We don't deserve this!

#19 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 07:04 AM

I do agree with you, Martha. But...is there an answer? Even if there are laws in the UK, they don't cross the ocean. Course, if you're up close and personal with Tony Blair, that's different.. laugh.gif

It's highly egregious on Lauder's part, and they know it, but again...what can one do? Class action suit comes to mind... cool.gif Especially if you could get the names of MORE than 150 who have this piece. ph34r.gif

Whatever works best for you all...

You know what...you wouldn't need names. All you'd have to do is file the suit...they'd have to provide proof of sales. Even if you lost, you'd have their attention for a change...and maybe we wouldn't be considered such easy marks any longer. Anyone out there know a good attorney? Florida should be full of retired attorneys who would love something like this...most of them are still registered with the Bar Assn. Just a thought before I start working...Now really, truly....I'm done!! wink.gif

Edited by Michele, 17 November 2004 - 08:26 AM.

#20 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 09:06 AM

I DID NOT BUY THE HARRODS ENGLISH EMBLEM ( NOT MY SORT OF THING ) BUT IF I HAD AND FOUND THAT THE NUMBER PRODUCED EXCEEDED THE NUMBER STATED I WOULD BE VERY MAD mad.gif mad.gif

A LIMITED NUMBER SHOULD BE JUST THAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

REGARDS...... MARGARET.......

#21 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 06:27 AM

If you haven't bought one of these and intend to do so, please be quick. I believe there are only four left as of yesterday!!!!!

#22 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 11:48 AM

Thanks for the "Heads-Up", Nancy. I called Harrod's and spoke with Allison (Alison?) and she gave me the number of the mail order company (catalogue)...they had one left. smile.gif Allison (Alison?) said Harrod's sold out 2 months ago. My question to you, Nancy, is...did you mean call Harrod's or call the catalogue company?

Now, I hate to burst your bubble(s) and I do hope this is not true, but she said it was the last of only 300 produced. 150 for Harrod's and 150 for the Catalogue Company. It should be here in about 14 days so I shall let you know if there is a card inside and what it says. huh.gif

#23 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 12:21 PM

Hi Michele, sorry for the confusion, yes I meant the mail order section. Alison was at the IPBA UK convention and I had ordered one from her there but, she called to say that I had to order direct as they wouldn't take any orders direct from Harrods. Again, mine too will arrive in 14 days so we shall see who gets theirs first. It would be funny if you got yours before me considering the distance don't you think?

#24 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 12:28 PM

laugh.gif Yes, that would be funny...but it wouldn't be a first! Let the race begin and I'll let you know when it arrives and you let us know when yours turns up! laugh.gif

Oh...we're back to one "L" in Alison/Allison... laugh.gif I should have asked her about that... blink.gif

#25 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 12:34 PM

last of only 300 produced. 150 for Harrod's and 150 for the Catalogue Company.

That is just wrong and complete bull#$&*!!! 150 and to me means 150 not 300!! Isn't it so wonderful how the Estee Lauder company treats its collector customers- like we are idiots. So from now on when ever we are told something is exclusive we just double the # always assuming more are produced than what we are told. This teaches me never to believe somthing is "limited or exclusive"

I truely don't ever think we will get the respect from this company, what a shame to do this to us. mad.gif

#26 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 01:25 PM

It is a shame, and I do agree with you. But I can't get too upset because of what you went through with the telephone conference. THAT was upsetting, and it spoke volumes about their opinion of collectors.

To try and soften the blow, maybe EL meant it truly was "exclusive" to Harrod's...they did have it 1st. Plus they only received 150, exclusively. sad.gif And maybe I'll have no card in mine...it doesn't matter to me because I only want it to put with the Calling Booth and the Teddy from last year...was it William? I'm hoping it will highlight the British section of my collection...all 3 pieces. laugh.gif

Plus, I really don't want to know how many Flower Carts and Barns were produced, either. That would be one more blow, and I'm just not buying new solids like I used to. Am going more for the older ones I passed up on years ago rather than the new ones, and even those (older ones) I'm limiting myself.

Basically, am trying to keep an open mind, realizing there is no such thing as "Exclusive" or "Limited" in Estee Lauder's world. It would be nice to think they were on the up-and-up, but yes, apparently we're all idiots. But I'm an idiot who is spending tons LESS on solids than ever before. So we'll see who comes out crazy in the end. tongue.gif

#27 Karin

Karin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 01:33 PM

I noted that on the EL website they are stating almost all of their powder compacts and solid perfumes as limited editions. But they are careful enough not to mention how many are made in any edition. blink.gif How are we to interprete their use of the term Limited Edition. I for one don't understand it at all.

Karin

#28 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 04:52 PM

Has anyone received the English Emblem recently (within the past week or so) and if so, what does the card say?

Maybe everyone's wrong...maybe Harrod's only received 75 or 100 and the Catalogue Company (a division of Harrod's, I assume) received 50 or 75? If that's the case, then the total is 150. biggrin.gif

But they can't say 150 and then make/distribute 300. Uh-oh...am starting to get a teensy bit upset here....someone say something...like..."shut-up, Michele".... blink.gif

I'm sure there's just a communication problem somewhere here...otherwise, there'd be just as many English Emblems as there are Post Boxes and teddies.

Nancy - Could you possibly contact Alison and ask her if she has a count on how many actually, physically came to Harrod's...the store...not the Catalogue Company?sad.gif

#29 Galina

Galina

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 01:20 AM

Hello Michele

Below is the exact description of Lion w/ Crown compact in the Harrods Catalog:

K55 ESTEE LAUDER Beyond Paradise LION WITH CROWN Harrods Exclusive

Exclusive to Harrods. This exclusive, limited edition, solid perfume compact has been hand-crafted by artisans schooled in the finest jewellery making. It is one of only 300 created exclusively by Estee lauder for Harrods. The beyond paradise fragrance is a fascinating blend of tropical moistness, zesty freshness and a fine floral bust. 175.00

#30 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 05:47 AM

Well Gallina at least you have the catalogue, I still haven't received one. I had to call Alison at Harrods to get the number as I was in a panic I'd miss out. The shop did have a very limited supply. They didn't even have one on display stock was so limited. I didn't actually see it until the IPBA convention which EL came to! It seems very a very shambolic way to sell if you ask me. But...who am I, they seem to be all but sold out so what do I know!

The first I heard of this catalogue was on this site! Why send it out to only some of their cutomers? I did receive a brochure but there are no EL products in it. That's why I couldn't wait any longer so called Alison.

My usual SA is Marilyn (others from this site may know her too) but she is off recovering from cancer so I wish her a speedy recovery. I hear she is doing well. Let's hope it continues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users