38 replies to this topic

#31 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 09:36 PM

A tip about passwords:

Passwords should always be a combination of letters and numbers. It shouldn't contain any words or phrases found in a dictionary and always 8 or more characters.

here is an example: t34oy885.

#32 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 11:39 PM

Excellent tips, Lisa. Also, make sure your passwords for eBay and PayPal are different.

Am just about to pop into bed but had a thought. Does anyone have their Roulette Wheel & box handy? Possibly you could put up a photo of both...in the same fashion as our "$10 handling fee" seller? If not, I'll dig mine out tomorrow and give it a try...it might save one of our members from a serious headache if they know what they should or should not be getting.

'nite all...

OH...forgot one VERY IMPORTANT thing the people from eBay told me:

If you "sign in" on eBay... for instance, to bid on something....remember to "sign out" as the "port" or "line" remains open to any hacker who has the ability to get through your port and into your account! Sort of like leaving the phone off the hook without disconnecting. Always, always "SIGN OUT." ohmy.gif

now....'nite....zzzzzzzz

Edited by Michele, 14 November 2004 - 11:55 PM.

#33 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 07:44 AM

Re your question Sandra, even if you log into Ebay under different names, they still are aware that it is one person. Am sure your computer is linked to them and they know WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM.

ph34r.gif

I still, after a night's sleep, go by what I said earlier re putting our identities on the site. You are giving outsiders more information than is necessary and they can build up your profile.

It reminds me of what we were told (I receive reports from the Police about crime in our surrounding area) when they have said exactly the same thing but to do with different subjects. THE LESS YOU REVEAL THE BETTER and save it for your close contacts i.e. those you are dealing with! There is the feedback which tells you how reputable a person is. That is what I look at before bidding!

That is how I feel and under no circumstances will I put my identity on the board. I will give it out when necessary to buyers. I do agree with Greyhound also, and will not put banking details, passwords or anything in my computer.

unsure.gif

#34 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 11:34 AM

Knock on wood, no one has stolen any passwords or identities from me..yet. smile.gif

However, I had a bad experience with ebay last June and stopped buying/selling for a while. A nutty seller mad.gif refused two cash paypal payments (listed in his item description as a payment method) and then sent me the item, insisting on a check. Since there is some level of safety in using paypal, I refused to accept the shipment and it was returned to him. He then started harrassing me through emails, reported me to ebay for nonpayment and left me bad feedback. The feedback can't be changed but I sent ebay evidence of the payments and they "exonerated" me. Up to then, I had 100% positive feedback - and so did the seller! Go figure... It soured me on ebay. It's hard to protect yourself and to know with whom to do business ph34r.gif .

Ar

#35 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 11:53 AM

Did everyone know if a ebay buyer or seller does not have their correct name, address and phone # registered with eBay then that is one of the reasons eBay will remove a negative feedback.

#36 mostlyminis

mostlyminis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 04:40 PM

I was very lucky when I first started collecting perfume. I stumbled on to a site owner and a collector right in my area. Both were very generous with information and guidance, especially the collector. She introducted me to the IPBA, books, showed me her collection, and tried to gently explain to me that there was a lot out there and I might want to specialize. I wanted it all and bought too much, but I have to admit, I have enjoyed every purchase, every item, the hunting and finding and even part of the selling off the things I should probably not have bought. However, she was SO right, there is tooooo much out there, and I now know what I mostly like and have had to work like mad to get almost down to it. Now there are sites like this one, with so much good information.

I've been buying on e-bay since 1999, I think, and I have to admit, its a much scarier place than it used to be. When there is money to be made, there will be scams. That's why its nice to have this site with all of you pooling your information.

#37 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 10:34 PM

For anyone planning on bidding on the Roulette Wheel, here's a few small shots of the actual box which came from the Las Vegas store a few years ago. Not great photo's, but they'll show what it should look like. What it should NOT look like is on eBay! mad.gif

Top of box, then inside of lid with protective spongy stuff plus opening for finial on Roulette Wheel. After that, the inside of the box (base) showing the place for the Wheel...it IS larger than I remembered, but there's another round section that the Wheel snaps into...

user posted image user posted image
user posted image

Then one last one of the Roulette Wheel in the Box:

user posted image
Notice the large sweep of space around the R.W.? I never noticed that until someone brought it up. Surprise! ohmy.gif But again, there's a smaller space that the Wheel snaps into.

Ok...I hope anyone who plans to bid on this is aware of the difference in the boxes...now I must put my Roulette Wheel back beside the Lucky Hand and the Showgirl.

What are the chances of Jack starting a data base of boxes? laugh.gif

And thanks, Lisa. I never knew that about negative feedback and the person's address, etc. Have printed it out and put it on my bulletin board for future reference. Every bit helps. smile.gif

#38 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 07:05 PM

Red flag, red flag!!

Our favorite "protype" seller is back just in time for the holidays.

For those of you that don't know the story behind this seller please do a search for the other ebay ID of this seller. For the search make sure all forums is selected and also search for any date in the pull down bar.

#39 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 01:33 PM

Already this seller has changed their email address and look at how the bids are being pumped up by a ebayer with 0 feedbacks. ph34r.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users