• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#16 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 12:35 PM

Yes Michele, he was actually, but I am a married lady after all. ......Besides, my husband was right behind me! rolleyes.gif Everytime I think about it now I laugh. He had no trousers on just a shirt and underpants (I assume) and was holding a bottle of beer. As I walked in he just looked at me and said "Hello". When we met up with friends later I said, "I'm used to mini bars in rooms, but this one had a guy serving the beer!". As I say, I can laugh now but think about it, it was past midnight and what if I had been on my own! It could have been a very dangerous situation.
After that we trudged back down to reception and as I approached the guy at the desk said, " oh, that room was occupied wasn't it?" to which I replied "yes". Instead of an apolgy what I got from him was "Oh, was he very annoyed?". I was dumbstruck! (doesn't happen often) but then he didn't know the guy had no pants on! We got another key and off we went again. It was the room next door to my new German friend and this time the key would not open the door. I told my husband to go back to reception as I would more than likely haul the guy over the counter if I went down. I stayed with the luggage and waited for him to return. I suddenly wondered what would happen if the German came out for any reason and saw me sitting there on my suitcases!!!!! sad.gif
We finally got to bed (my husband and I that is, not me and the German) about one am and had to be up again at five to get the mini bus to the airport. As I lay there thinking, "I'll never get up, I'll sleep in", I heard a noise. I turned to my other half and said......is that a pneumatic drill I can hear? Yes, they had started roadworks on the motor-way nearby. With a start like that the holiday could only get better.

#17 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 01:04 PM

I'm sorry, Nancy. I'm laughing so hard I'm almost in tears! laugh.gif Your experience with hotels has been less than positive, to say the least! Is this all in London??? Remind me to look for a "Bed & Breakfast." Do they have them over there? It's where you rent a charming little bedroom for the night, then when you wake up they have a lovely breakfast all ready for you. Usually it's in someone's home who has extra bedrooms. I was thinking of doing it myself, then remembered I don't cook...especially in the morning. The only thing I would consider is a "Bed & Bagel" where the overnighters would wake up, dress (quietly so as not to disturb me), and grab a bagel from the little table beside the door on their way out.

And yes, after some thought, it's a good thing your husband was with you... times have changed! Such a shame...

#18 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 05:05 PM

Ann
The matter about the convention location being moved is news to me. I did not hear anything. I just knew it was scheduled for Dallas
WOODY do you know anything?

#19 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 05:26 PM

Got this information from Lenore Hiers (past president of IPBA):

2005 is Dallas; 2006 is Reston, VA. Hope to see you there!

#20 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 07:38 PM

Thanks Lisa!!!!!

The hotel in Dallas is VERY nice and look forward to seeing everyone there. biggrin.gif

Ann

#21 klassicguy1

klassicguy1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 11:28 AM

Hello everyone. I am sorry I didn't respond to this earlier. I had heard a rumbling about this some time ago and knew that it wasn't likely to be true. From my board days, the IPBA contracts for these spaces at least two years ahead of actual convention. A cancellation at this point would have serious financial consequences to the organization, and one they would not enter into willingly.

Just my two cents.

Woody

#22 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 04:44 PM

I thought 2006 was going to be Vegas!

#23 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 06:07 PM

They seem to choose the same cities, don't they? San Antonio, TX would be nice. You have the Alamo, river walk, great Mexican food and gifts.

#24 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 08:05 PM

For all those going to the IPBA in Texas...if Nancy's going, find out where she's staying...then make reservations somewhere else! It could be a true nightmare! laugh.gif laugh.gif

#25 Fee

Fee

Fee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 04:07 AM

laugh.gif ah, Nancy, thanks for that I haven't laughed so hard for a long time! Faulty Towers definately looks good next to your hotel.

Brings back memories of some of my childhood "holidays" - A sense of humour is vital!
laugh.gif laugh.gif

#26 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 05:33 PM

Fee, you are right. Thank goodness for a sense of humour! I wouldn't have gotten through that week-end without it.
Michele, if the IPBA is in the same hotel in Reston as last time it was lovely. No complaints at all. biggrin.gif I didn't even hear one and yet in the Europa at Gatwick I didn't hear one person who had a good word to say about it! sad.gif
On another tack - I have my English Emblem. Not bad considering I ordered it on Friday and they said 14 days cool.gif and....the card says 150.

[/CODE]

#27 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 03:41 PM

Is anyone going to the AGM and Sale of the U.K Chapter on Saturday, 9th April?

It is being held at Heathrow......... More information if anyone requires. Nancy, Maggie, Margaret..........etc. are you going?????

smile.gif

#28 P.E.Parry

P.E.Parry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 10:05 PM

Nancy:

What a wonderful post! Laughing at your vivid description along with the others. Don't know how you kept your cool. Have had some weird experiences in hotels but this takes the cake for a convention. The hotel in Weston was excellent and we had a lot of fun there. Will probably go back there next year. Dallas is soooooo far away for us especially when the LV convention is following so soon.

Michele:

Where have you been? Have missed your impertence. You always make me laugh. But then I'm too old to take anything seriously.

#29 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 01:01 PM

Nancy, I hope that there is still room for me to join the day AGM at Heathrow for the U.K. Chapter. Have emailed them. Can I tempt you with the fact that they will be having a mini sale and swapping session?????? Vegas Lady cannot, unfortunately make it but it would be nice if some of us could!

Yes Phyllis, miss Michele too and Faulty Towers stands no chance against Nancy's experience! By the way, they say the next Convention will probably be at Heathrow, London. So can we see any of you over here in this neck of the woods??????????????????????????????? Also our European friends!

smile.gif

#30 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 01:27 PM

I WOULD LOVE TO GO TO THE CONVENTION NEXT TIME, IF I CAN MAKE IT.

AND YES, I HAVE MISSED MICHELE TOO, sad.gif I'M SURE THAT I HAD HER DUST FAIRY LAST. wink.gif

MY REGARDS TO YOU ALL.....MARGARET..... smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users