4 replies to this topic

#1 StormHound

StormHound

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 December 2002 - 12:09 AM

Hi everyone!

I'm a complete newbie - just discovered the world of Estee Lauder compacts today. I think I really want to start collecting these, but would like some advice before I start spending my hard-earned pennies!

I was hoping some members would share their advice, stories and tips - where to start, why they're collecting, etc.

Any help would be very much appreciated!
Steph

#2 favoritegram

favoritegram

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 December 2002 - 01:42 PM

Hi, best advice I can give is only buy what you fall in love with. Don't buy with the idea in mind of investing and making money, that way you won't be disappointed. Also check what the solids are selling for on Ebay and don't overpay. Lainey

#3 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 15 December 2002 - 07:48 PM

I agree. Buy what you like. Avoid buying a solid you don't care about just because it's cheap. It's best to narrow your choices so you won't get overwelmed such as---new or vintage---theme and/or type---price range. I originally started collecting because I wanted the fruit and food related solids. I'm still looking for more fruit, but at the same time, I collect animals and other types--usually buying the new ones. I recently started buying the older ones at the lowest possible price (if possible).

Buy Gerson's book: "The Estee Lauder Solid Perfume Compact Collection 1967-2001", so you can see the solids and their value. This is a great resource tool.

Once you decide what solids to buy, check out the solid values page on this website. Type in a solid name such as "affectionate fish" and see how much bidders on ebay paid. You can see how much or little someone paid. I always avoid paying the max, although I sometimes overpay by $25-40.

If you spend time searching though ebay, you'll see that certain sellers have endless supplies of the same solid. One particular seller bought several Matadors, Igloos, Flamingo Dancers, etc, from Neimas, but they have trouble selling them. First, I saw them listing it at $100 more than retail. Nobody bought them. They relist and relist without time off since October....listing fees accumulate which ends up costing the seller more $$. They gradually reduce the price over time. Ocasionally, they get lucky and sell one out of the 10 listed. Now they're asking for retail price. In my opinion, they're lucky to sell for that! Sorry about the rambling, but the main point is that it's a waste of time to buy new solids that are still sold at the stores and resell for a profit. Sure, it may work; however, if you can't afford to loose money and/or don't want to be stuck with 8 igloos, then it's not worth the effort.

#4 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 15 December 2002 - 08:47 PM

Stormhound,

Welcome [Big Grin]
The above members have some great advise for you!
I agree to get Roz Gersons book and take a good look through it and make a game plan. Either buy the solids you just love or go with a theme like dogs or all the solids with Knowing perfume (this is how I started)

If you are like the rest of us you will want them all in no time LOL!!!! [Razz]

#5 StormHound

StormHound

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 December 2002 - 06:49 PM

Thanks for the advice!

I've just gotten Gerson's book in the mail today and have been flipping through it, already seeing some great compacts I'd like to start my collection with! I also picked up a Miller's guide to compacts in general and have learned a few things from that as well. Ebay is a very interesting place to just browse and see what's out there.

Greyhound - you were definitely no rambling! I very much appreciate the insights & advice - they are so valuable to someone who is just starting out!

I guess what I'm saying is that I have gone from "mildly interested" to "definite" collector. I'm definitely following your advice to buy what I fall in love with and am happily browsing to find that "first" peice for my collection!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users