• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 12:30 AM

Ok everyone, after a lot of thought on the subject and after contactiing Lisa I have decided to offer to build display cabinets for any of you that might want them. smile.gif

Let me make it clear that Lisa and Jack have nothing to do with this and are not to incur any responsibility for any transactions between me and any of you. ph34r.gif

I have built furniture and cabinets for 30 years and feel sure that I could make you the cabinet you have always dreamed of having for that special place where the store bought ones just won't fit. That is a lot of my business now.

I will gladly furnish pictures of my work to any of you that might be interested and bids are free. I am putting a picture of my mothers' wub.gif birthday cabinet from about 10 years ago with this post. She displays her china in it but Margaret and I wish we had one for ourselves. The carpenter and his wife are the last to get this , huh? blink.gif Mom's cabinet is made of cherry and is about 6 feet tall. There is another example at our website, www.esteedreams.com There is an email link there also.

user posted image

Let me also make it clear that if none of you want to take me up on this offer there will be no hurt feelings here.
I just feel from some of the posts that some of you might want something special to display your beauties in from someone who shares the obsession. cool.gif

I truly hope none of you are offended by this offer and apologise in advance if that is the case.
Don

#2 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 10:33 AM

Long overdue Don and Margaret. Thank you! But what about shipping to U.K. Expect that will be dreadfully expensive!

Like to hear your comments! Love the Cabinet.

smile.gif

#3 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 01:06 PM

Jacky,
Well, I just shipped Margaret over to London this morning and she's a pretty small package and it was still dreadfully expensive. biggrin.gif

All kidding aside, a smaller tabletop unit or a wall cabinet might not be too, too expensive to ship. I'll try to talk to some shippers and find out. When I do I'll post what I find. smile.gif

I have thought about making a smaller version of this cabinet to set on a tabletop. It would make a pretty display, I think. The display they had in Harrods when we went in April was great. Wooden cases with glass fronts and the perfumes on clear pedestals and the really bright white halogen lighting above each one.

Thanks for your comments on the cabinet. I'm sure you could find a great English cabinetmaker for anything this size. From what I saw when we were in London there are some great craftsmen working in England.

Don

#4 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 01:23 PM

Don you would never imagine how difficult it was for me to find a free-standing small cabinet here in the U.K. Eventually I found one at a Fair way out of London, and having managed to hand carry it home, I was to discover it was much smaller than I thought. Unless I see something in situ, I find it difficult to imagine how it would be! At the same fair I came across a stand who imported display cabinets from Hong Kong! They were not as expensive as others here that I have seen. The only part I did not like was the top, which I would prefer to be flat (not large scroll designs). Difficult to explain!

I wonder if you looked at the price tags on the 'nice stuff'? Way over the top compared to the States, I am sure!

Can we see some pix of the free standing smaller ones?

smile.gif

#5 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 05:08 PM

Hi Don -

Your Mother's "Birthday" curio is incredible! Will check out your website and see what I might like...possibly I could have my son sketch something. Can you work from sketches? He's pretty detail oriented, so it shouldn't be too far off the mark.

Meanwhile, just for your own personal records and in case you'd like to build another curio like your Mother's, my birthday is July 21. laugh.gif laugh.gif

Will be in touch...and yes, the contest is on!

#6 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 08:29 AM

Hi Don, I too loved your Mothers cabinet I have one something similar and it is great. (I too keep china and glass in mine - not solids!)
I also agree with Jacky re the cost over here. Most things in the US are a lot cheaper than over here.
Finally, as to Margaret, I fear the shipping will be the least of your fiscal worries regarding her trip! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

#7 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 09:32 AM

Don, beautiful cabinet. I have always wanted an end table that would go next to my bed that would contain compartments (3" l x 3" w x 2" h) to place my glitzy, bling-bling powder compacts. The compartments would be lined in black felt or maybe velvet and would be under glass. Kind of like a shadow box lying on its side. The top would be hinged so you could lift it up. I think this would be a terrific way to display powder compacts. If this is something you would like to tackle, please email me.

#8 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 05:01 PM

sad.gif Don, I'm offended!! sad.gif

......but I'm still your MATE! biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users