• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#31 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 05:51 PM

I hear ya, I did hear that some got gifts with the Harrods shipments this year but I for one got nothing. sad.gif It is always nice to know however that your business is appreciated.

#32 Lauder Lover

Lauder Lover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 06:50 PM

Thanks for the Replys. I feel better knowing at least that my charges are correct. I also did not this time and have never recieved any gift or even a sample from Harrods. dry.gif The first time I purchased from them in 2001 I bought all the solids available which were the Teddy, Harrods Van and the replica of Harrods (expensive) but awesome, and the Intuition Teardrop so I spent a lot of money and like I said not even a sample. sad.gif

#33 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 08:22 PM

Hey,
I figured out how to save the shipping costs. Just send your wife over to London to get them. laugh.gif biggrin.gif ph34r.gif
Don

#34 Fee

Fee

Fee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 09:30 PM

Sandra I thought that was just the Australia post limit? Isn't it lower if it is delivered via a courier.

Harrods used to use DHL couriers a couple of years ago and at least they calculated and paid the customs duty (to be billed to me at a later date - not for free laugh.gif ) so there was no big hold up with delivery (which is slow at best).

I noticed that last year they changed to Parcel Force which required the parcel to be held at the post office for ransom (if you get the notification in a timely fashion) also slow delivery.

This year my solids total is over the limit for a simple (a few forms and a few calculations myself) customs clearance and it has been over 2 weeks since my credit card was billed by Harrods I am now notified to hire a customs broker to organise clearance through customs - who of course will charge me for the priviledge and add a few more days onto the already long wait!

For me the Harrods solids are just sky-rocketting in price - it soon will be cheaper for me to fly over and collect them personally !

Do you have customs duty to pay in the US? sounds like you are getting a good deal over there.huh.gifunsure.gif

#35 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 11:59 PM

US customs is liberal compared to most other industrialized nations. I don't even know when they start charging duty and for how much? I think you can bring back $400 worth of goods for an individual and $800 per married couple (at least travelling back home on a plane). Someone here will know more.

I bought 3 solids from Harrods and didn't get charged duty. US customs is most concerned with tobacco and alcohol limits (sometimes perfume). Also, they want to seize illegal drugs and other illegal items. They don't have enough man power to cover everything.

I'm surprised about the lack of free gifts. I rarely get anything at Saks also. I gave 4 Saks SA's my contact info and none of them call me. I don't get very good service there either. Finally, I came across a manager (or head of the EL counter) this year and she is the best. She called me about the Strongwaters and she let me know about promotional stuff. Service like that should have come sooner. I often wonder if I have something hanging from my nose. huh.gif ph34r.gif

#36 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 04:56 PM

Wow!! Don't we wish it was like that here!??!!! Our customs people rarely miss a thing!! They seemed to be concerned with EVERYTHING!!!

On another note Greyhound, don't take things like not getting the attention you deserve too personally . . . . sometimes you have to beg and scrape for it, and sometimes you have to yell and scream for it . . . . . or just be downright pertinent about it.

Unfortunately it's very rare nowadays to find someone who is a 'born to' customer service and works in a department store. sad.gif

#37 Denise

Denise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 05:27 PM

Greyhound,

I can understand your feelings about Saks as when I pre-ordered the Jay Strongwater Compacts, my SA promised me that I would get a Free Jay Strongwater Frame (worth $75.00) for each Compact that I would buy.

Well, when the Compacts finally came in and I went into Saks, I asked about the so called "promised" Frames for each Compact. I didn't get them because my Rep told me that she took them home for her family. I was so angry and I gave it to her.

I was never angry at this Rep before and I have spent $1000's of dollars there, but this time I was.

The following week she called and gave me my Frames. What is going on here? Now the SA's are taking home the freebies? ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

#38 Fee

Fee

Fee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 05:40 PM

Wow cool.gif Thanks for shedding some light on that, Greyhound. Sounds heavenly!

Sadly when I rang customs I got a woman who was definatley not born to deal with customers! - quite rude she was. It reminded me of Faulty Towers paying money for apparently nothing and having someone be rude to me in the bargain! laugh.gif

It certainly would be one less worry if we had the same system as the US!

wink.gif

#39 Lauder Lover

Lauder Lover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 06:07 PM

After reading the post from Denise I am curious, Did anyone else get the Frames with their purchase of the Strongwater Solids? If not did all the SA's keep them for themselves and/or give extras to their friends and Family?

#40 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 07:35 PM

Lauder Lover,

Sak's has never sent me any gwp's and for sure no Strongwater frames. NM, on the other hand, always sends a gwp, plus a lot of other goodies (incuding the Strongwater mirror). For the first time, Harrod's sent me a gwp this year. It was a silver satin bag of EL cosmetics.

#41 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 09:27 PM

I also did not get any frames or anything else from Saks- is it possible to get a photo of the frame? At the time I was spending $1000 I was promised gifts but got ziltch, zero, nothing.

I was also so very upset about the mess up on the friends and family night thing, I called and spoke to a SA and asked if anything could be done because I was told it wasn't happening and then it did. I already got the $100 gift card but would have saved an additional $100 (who wouldn't want that??) I was told "sorry nothing we can do" I think something should have and could have been done but too much work for the SA and what do they care- they already have the commission check. My business will not go to that store anymore, I will deal now deal with the person who calls and informs me- Miss Gini and Shari at NM is always fantastic.

I think EL should have a program where if a person buys the entire exclusive solid collection then something really special should be given as a gift. Think about it- it would be good for their business as the person getting 4 out of five soilds may change their minds and get all 5. Also if the collector gets the whole kit and kaboodle (Saks, NM, general dist. & Harrods) then the solids should be packaged up from NY (all of them at once) and their should be a special signed certificate and special thank you gift- I mean we are talking a purchase of substantial $$ and we are loyal customers. It would just be soooo very nice.

OK, now somone wake me up! laugh.gif

#42 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 11:20 PM

laugh.gif laugh.gif Yeah Lisa - I thought you were in Dreamland then . . . laugh.gif laugh.gif

However, there are inklings of dreams coming true every now and then . . . . you may get lucky! wink.gif

#43 TERRY

TERRY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 05:24 PM

I`VE BEEN TOLD THAT ON NOVEMBER 4 SAKS WILL BE GIVING TRIPLE POINTS

TERRY

#44 mostlyminis

mostlyminis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 08:58 PM

Sandra, may your dream come true reallyreallyreally soon. biggrin.gif

When I bought my dolphin compact from Saks last year, I asked the rep about GWP and was told that there would be one in my package. There was not. I'm not collecting solids any more and never bought anywhere near the amount some of you do, but I resent spending that kind of money and not getting anything with it. It would not hurt to throw in a sample or two if there isn't a gift running.

Sorry, I can't remember who said this above, but I never bought anything from NM without receiving a thank you, a GWP, some sort of special service. I like dealing with NM a lot.

#45 Nicki169

Nicki169

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 01:26 AM

This year was the first time I purchased solids from Harrods. It was great doing business with Harrods and with Farzy (the SA). biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I had a problem calling Harrods. It turn out that from Connecticut I had to dial 011-44-207-730-1234 to reach Harrods. But before I found that out I Emailed Harrods and Farzy contacted me the next day. I ordered the three solids and received them in just nine days! rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif And even more amazing is the fact that the package was delivered to my house Sunday morning! The package contained the three solids that I ordered plus a GWP. The GWP consisted of lipstick, eyeshadow, mascara and perfume. I also was charged 30 GBP's for shipping and handling. But I feel I received excellent service.

All three solids are great. But my number one pick is the Lion with the crown and flag.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users