• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#31 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 06:46 PM

"Brigham, you little devil, come back here, now," Maria yelled, but Brigham was long gone. He was on a mission, after all, a burial mission. Out on the moors, Brigham ran through the heather, holding on firmly to the wiggly object in his mouth, his little legs carrying the burden of the extra weight. He knew the perfect spot on the moors, a place where no one would think to look.

The thing had stopped moving when Brigham dropped it on the ground, furiously digging a hole big enough to bury it. Brigham picked up the thing once again and dropped it into the hole, but not before giving it a good shake. He quickly covered it with dirt.

Brigham perked up his ears as he heard the familiar whistle from the house.

#32 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 01:54 PM

[b][color=blue]Maria and Hester were dreading the arrival of Joules on his way home from the Abattoir. ''What on earth are we going to say to him?'' Hester asked. 'Don't worry about it Hester. We will just have to tell him the truth, that's all! Maria replied.

Edited by Jacqueline, 08 May 2005 - 07:58 AM.

#33 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 05:10 PM

While Hester was talking, inside Joules' mind was spinning . . . .

'Damn it! Damn the package and damn Brigham!! I'll have to go out and find where he put it', thought Joules.

"Joules!!" Hester repeated, louder this time. Joules attention went back to Hester "Sorry love, I was a million miles away just then - bit tired from work, I'm afraid - what was it you said?"

"I said I was only going to stay the night, but under the circumstances, I think I should stay a little longer!"

"Why? What's the problem? Maria's OK - I'll look after her. You don't have to stay if you have other plans . . . . in fact, I think it's best if you leave tonight"

"Oh! Well, I'll see how Maria is today and then sort it out later with her. I'm in no rush" (yeah, not now that I've already missed out on my date last night!). "I'll make a few calls and it'll all be right"

"OK then - if you say so . . . ." Joules eyes slightly narrowed as his mind went to Plan B mode.

#34 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 07:32 PM

Joules thoughtfully considered the pros and cons of his Plan B. The risks were tremendous. If Maria found out she would never forgive him. On the other hand, if he were successful, he could quit his distasteful job at the abattoir.

Why did Brigham have to spoil his original plan, Joules fumed. His thoughts were once again interrupted as Brigham waddled into the parlour furiously shaking an object in his mouth. "What on earth?" Hester exclaimed trying to figure out what the dog had in his mouth. "It's just his little toy" Maria explained. "But what kind of toy is it" Hester asked. "Oh, it's one of those Beanie Babies," Maria replied. And suddenly Brigham growled and gave the Beany Baby a tremendous shake, decapitating it in the process. "Oh, terrific!" Maria said sarcastically as hundreds of tiny little beanies flew across the room.

#35 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 07:51 PM

'Ah! Brigham' exclaimed Joules 'just the dog I've been looking for'. He grabbed the dog by the collar and dragged him out the door while Hester and Maria were left to pick up the Beanie Babies mess.

Joules grabbed a shovel on the way past the shed as he and Brigham went searching for 'that' package or the remains of it. 'He couldn't have carried it that far', Joules thought as he picked up the pace with Brigham . . . .

#36 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 01:49 AM

'Come on Brigham' Joules coaxed, 'show me where you've hidden it!' Brigham bounded off into the distance before Joules had a chance to blink!

Edited by Jacqueline, 08 May 2005 - 07:59 AM.

#37 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 02:03 AM

[i][color=blue][b] Hester watched Maria as she tidied up now that Joules and Brigham were out of sight. 'Can I help you?' Hester asked, at the same time looking for the tea towel to dry some dishes.

Edited by Jacqueline, 08 May 2005 - 08:01 AM.

#38 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 03:34 PM

Joules came back into the house grumbling under his breath about Brigham.

"You know what, Joules," Maria said, "Brigham will like as not dig up that thing and drop it at your feet one of these days." Maria had no longer gotten the words out of her mouth when into the parlour waddles Brigham, the thing held proudly in his mouth.

Joules lunged for Brigham, but not before stepping on a stray beanie that sent him flying across the hardwood floor. The thud of Joules hitting the floor scared Brigham so badly that the poor dog scurried out the door and back onto the moors to once again bury his treasure. The thing was still alive ...

#39 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 05:35 PM

'Oh Joules! Are you all right?' Maria and Hester exclaimed at the same time.

'Forget the package and go and clean up for dinner', Maria continued. Joules stomped off to the bathroom. 'That's uncharateristically moody of him', though Hester to herself. Once again she tried making herself useful in the kitchen and to try some more conversation with Maria. She wasn't getting very far.

Joules looked out the bathroom window, straining to see anything of the dog and package . . . . but it had started to mist outside and the visibilty level dropped.

Meanwhile, Brigham had found a new place to bury his 'treasure'. As he began to pack it in the earth, it began moving!! Brigham was scared out of his wits and jumped back, barking noisily at it. Then he began making whining noises.

#40 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 10:52 PM

[b][color=purple]Hester tossed and turned, unable to sleep! So much had happened in such a short space of time that she wondered whether it had all been a long, long dream!

Edited by Jacqueline, 08 May 2005 - 08:02 AM.

#41 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 04:26 AM

[b][i][color=blue]'Where is it?' the black cloaked figure mumbled under its breath. 'I have to find it! I have to find it NOW or it will be too late.

Edited by Jacqueline, 08 May 2005 - 08:03 AM.

#42 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 06:01 AM

Joules held the pulsating heart in his hands, thankful he had not been forced to use Plan B. Lucky for Hester, too, he chuckled to himself.

As the moon slowly drifted under a blanket of clouds, the darkness encircled him like a cape. Joules cursed his bad luck as he slowly crept across the moors, the pumping heart held tightly in both hands. He wished now he hadn't sent Brigham back the house, for he knew the dog would instinctively be able to find the crypt in the dark.

"Cursed night," Joules swore underneath his breath, yet he knew this night would be his salvation.

#43 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 05:02 PM

Hester's eyes had followed the black caped Joules as he traipsed across the moors and back. Because of the distance and moonlight shadows, she had not been able to make out all of the goings on. She did suspect it was Joules though.

"What to do, what to do", Hester thought as she scrambled away from the window. She heard Brigham creep in downstairs, so she went to see what he was up to.

"Hello Brigham! Come here. What's all that dirt on your paws?" Hester grabbed a towel and took him to the laundry just off the kitchen to wipe him clean. Soon after they had left the room, Joules walked in, turned on the light and took off his cape. Through the open door, Hester could see him put something in a container and into the fridge. He washed his hands at the sink and then turned out the light before leaving the house again. 'Where's he going now?' Hester wondered.

She finished off Brigham and quietly went back to her room again. Although curious, she knew better than to look in the fridge in the middle of the night. It could wait 'til morning!

#44 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 05:19 PM

Through the night while the ladies were sleeping, Brigham was busy sniffing around the house. He knew something was 'in the air' and used his good hunting skills to locate it.

His superior sense of smell led him to scratch at the bottom of the first step of the stairwell. He went around to the side and scratched away for a little while. His senses keener, he KNEW there was something in their worth finding, so his scratching got more furious as did the noises from his throat.

Upstairs Hester and Maria were in deep sleep, but were brought to their subconsciousness by the noise. Just as they were awakening, Joules came back in and caught Brigham nearly breaking in to his hideout. He cursed Brigham and pulled him away. The ladies were up now "Joules - is that you?" called Maria nervously.

'Yep, it's me' Joules loudly whispered 'Brigham was just getting a bit noisy at something, but it's OK now - I've calmed him down. You can go back to sleep now'

He breathed a sigh of relief as he heard both doors close again from upstairs. Looking at the mess in front of him, he sighed again knowing that he'd have to fix it up before the others noticed. "Damn Brigham" he thought again "I'll have to get something done about that dog".

#45 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 06:51 PM

Brigham's sixth sense immediately picked up on Joules' growing dislike for him. And when Joules came toward him carrying the leash, Brigham fled up the stairs to Maria's bedroom, with Joules right on his heels. Using the full weight of his little strong body, he pushed Maria's door open and jumped into bed with her.

Maria awoke to Brigham licking her face and Joules' black outline standing in the doorway. Brigham took one look at Joules and dove under the covers, snuggling as close as he could get to Maria.

"What time is it?" Maria asked Joules, "and why are you in my bedroom? You know, Joules, sometimes you really give me the creeps!"

"Sorry, luv, didn't mean to wake you. I just came back to get my cape. Good night, then, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite." Joules closed the door to Maria's bedroom. Well, he thought, at least he'd have the downstairs to himself for the rest of the night. He didn't think Brigham would bother him anytime soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users