#1 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 04:37 PM

Over to you.....

[/b][/i]

Edited by Jacqueline, 07 May 2005 - 03:27 PM.

#2 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 05:15 PM

... because Maria was your oldest and dearest friend, I sighed. Martin and pleasures of the flesh would have to be put on hold while I tried to figure out how to get Maria out of this latest mess. It wasn't going to be easy ... .

#3 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 05:51 PM

I could hear faint sounds of someone in the kitchen and then footsteps coming up the hallway. "Yep, that's Maria just getting her late night snack", I thought to myself. Comfort food. Maria always resorted to food in times of crisis.

I tried to turn my thoughts into good ones so that I could get to sleep comfortably. I glanced at the collection of solid perfumes in the cabinet and smiled to myself as I thought of the fun times Maria and I used to have as we 'oohed' and 'ahhed' over the next new solid. At least Maria always had good taste!

I closed my eyes and slowly began to drift off . . . .

#4 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 08:20 PM

The window rattled and my heart seemingly missed a beat. ...........

Edited by Jacqueline, 07 May 2005 - 03:29 PM.

#5 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 09:41 AM

As I peered out the window onto the moonlit moors, there appeared before me the figure of a woman. Was it Maria? But what was Maria doing out on the moors in the middle of the night with an early frost coming? As I moved closer to the window to get a better look, the moon drifted under a blanket of clouds, and I lost sight of her.

#6 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 06:39 PM

Suddenly a sharp knock at the door jolted me almost out of my skin!

"Are you all right, Hester?" called Maria through the door. I quickly went to the door and opened it - there was Maria in her dressing gown with a candle. "It's blowing an absolute gale out there and I couldn't sleep - I thought you might also be awake as I heard you get up"

I breathed my panic out and calmed down as I replied "no,no Maria, I'm OK - I just thought I heard the phone ring and then the lights wouldn't go on and then I thought there was something outside my window . . . . "

My voice trailed off as Maria chuckled "yes, the electricity has cut out and I called the emergency service line. It was them calling me back" she explained.

"Anyway, you can stop panicking and go back to bed now. Sleep if you can - we've got a lot to catch up on tomorrow. I do appreciate you staying with me, you know". With that Maria shut the door and went back to her own room. I was left in the dark once more with the wind howling at the window.

#7 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 09:19 AM

Somehow something wasn't quite right!

Edited by Jacqueline, 07 May 2005 - 03:30 PM.

#8 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 03:45 PM

Rumours had circulated throughout the village for years about Maria. Her nocturnal habits were a tasty tidbit on the tongues of the local gossips. And although I refused to listen to the scandal-mongers, deep down inside of me, I wondered if there was any truth to their tales.

I closed my eyes in hopes that sleep would soon overtake me. As I was drifting off, I was suddenly awakened by a damp, almost feral odor in the room. As I pulled the covers close to my body, I reasoned it must be one of Maria's solid perfumes gone bad. Probably Aliage, I chided myself. Once more, I closed my eyes and this time pulled the covers up over my head. ph34r.gif

#9 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 05:59 PM

Several minutes later, I heard the door to my room quietly open for a moment and then close again though the door was left slightly ajar.

I tried not to get alarmed and concentrated on keeping my breathing regular.

Then, when all went quiet again, I took a peep at the door just to make sure my mind wasn't playing tricks on me . . . . . but in the eerie darkness it was difficult to make out anything . . . . .

I waited awhile for her eyes to adjust to the dark. The storm had almost ceased and what remained now was the sound of dripping and running water from the overflow of the drains and gutters. It was sort of calming as I gathered my thoughts

#10 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 06:26 PM

I edged my way to the bedroom door..........

[/color][/b][/i]

Edited by Jacqueline, 07 May 2005 - 03:31 PM.

#11 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 07:24 PM

"Geez, Hester" I said aloud, only it came out as a whisper. Staring at my reflection in the window, caught by the moonlight, I almost didn't recognize the woman before me. I looked my age, and frumpy to boot! Oh, well, I'd treat myself to a day at Giorgio's when I got back to London.

As I stood before the window contemplating my day of rejuvenation, I smelled it again ... a musky, rank odor. And then I realized something or someone was in my room. My legs felt like water .. and suddenly I was falling ....

#12 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 05:56 PM

I didn't feel my head hit the ground, I didn't hear the voices that called me, but when I next opened my eyes I was propped back in my bed with Maria watching over me. Her eyes were slightly hollow, but as she realised I was regaining consciousness, the hollowness disappeared and was replaced by her soft caring hazel eyes.

"You fainted, I think," she said "I heard a loud thump and when I knocked on your door there was no answer. I found you by the window on the floor. I've called the doctor already, he's on his way. . . . . but the weather has damaged some of the roads and power lines, so I don't know how long he'll be. Anyway, have a sip of this tea and hopefully you'll feell better."

I tried to gather my thoughts while I took a sip from the cup she offered but once again immediately passed out.

Maria smiled and left the room.

#13 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 04:12 AM

I opened my eyes slowly.

Edited by Jacqueline, 07 May 2005 - 03:33 PM.

#14 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 04:06 PM

Suddenly, I was famished and looking forward to a hearty country breakfast of eggs and bacon and homemade bread with marmalade. The aroma of freshly brewed coffee was intoxicating, but secretly hoped Maria hadn't forgotten my Chamomile tea.

I quickly showered, pulled on a pair of worn jeans and a comfortable cotton shirt and made my way into the kitchen. Imagine my surprise when I found not Maria standing over the stove, but her brother Joules. Even though his back was to me, there was no mistaking Joules ...

#15 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 05:43 PM

I had secretly been drawn to Joules for a long while. With his back to me I could see his dark curly tresses fall short of his perfect long slender frame. He was cooking up a breakfast suited to this weather. I couldn't wait to sit opposite him at the table.

I remembered he had beautiful long lashes and dark eyes. Would I still feel the same way when he turned around?

He didn't let me down. "Good Morning Hester" he said as he turned around "I thought I'd come and check on my sister before going to work today." Oh, the perfect brother and gentleman!

"She told me you were here so I thought I'd give her a hand and start breakfast. She's still not up yet, but sit down and have a bite with me". Smiling from ear to ear, I did as I was told.

"So, were you able to get some sleep during the night? It was a pretty wild storm".

"Actually Joules, I feel a bit dazed this morning - last night I was a little restless in bed and I've just been trying to clear my head and focus on today."

"Yeah" he agreed "I don't sleep very well in a someone else's bed either. Sometimes the situation makes you dream weird things."

He was right, I thought as I munched on the toast. It's being in a different house and room and my mind and body were all disorientated. I put last night out of my mind and turned my attention to the job at hand . . . . "Still working at the abattoir then, Joules?" Gosh he had a nice glow about him!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users